Govt Maintains RT-PCR Tests for Visitors

snoop1130

The stats from the international arrivals in the sandbox testing positive already prove it's a waste of time.

What's the point in a country that covid is endemic with official numbers on cases surpassing 2 million today, which makes it way more really.

I mean you wouldn't want to be spending that money elsewhere, like, uh I dunno, vaccines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

Just print your email and carry it…and a few copies with you.

Anything that can be printed can be edited. I can easily change my friend's lab result to one bearing my name and passport number.

What matters (I should think) is the lab official stamp in original. That's what I call a hardcopy. Then again, who knows what the officer of the day will want.

1 minute ago, arithai12 said:
2 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Anything that can be printed can be edited. I can easily change my friend's lab result to one bearing my name and passport number.

What matters (I should think) is the lab official stamp in original. That's what I call a hardcopy. Then again, who knows what the officer of the day will want.

The time constraints are too tight to receive an ‘original’ hard copy - thus e-mail and print is the only practical solution. 

I didn’t realise the requirement to carry paper copies, but did so anyway just incase my electronics powered out. 

As you mentioned PDF’s are readily editable - I’ve actually edited my Vaccine Certificate at added my Passport Number to it - but the QR code obviously links to a site which lists the details of my vaccination. 

I wonder IF when people test positive on arrival their original PCR negative certificate (<72 hrs before flight) is cross checked to see if its not a fake - Faking both a vaccine cert and a PCR test cert should be punishable offence involving serious consequences.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ourdon said:

Hmm, Your mileage may differ,

Departure from Canada PCR test                     3900 thb

Phuket arrival PCR test                                       2400 thb

SHA+ hotel room Kamala Beach Phuket            1518 thb

Taxi from airport to hotel                                     820 thb

10 San Miguel lite                                                   900 thb

I don't know where in Canada you can get a PCR test for 3900thb, I had a test done in Ontario last month and it cost me $ 169.00 + tax and it was the cheapest one that I could fine.  If there are something that you know and we don't, please let us know.  Cheers.

The "import of migrant workers", and the possible screening involved, appears in the same article as the headlined tests for tourist arrivals. I wonder what the screening will consist of? ATK? The Labour Ministry has suggested an 8 point plan, but there's no mention of what it will consist of. It's just as important as the tourists' tests, maybe more so, considering the dire situation, and the outbreaks, that arose at workers' camps. Maybe they'll just be quarantined at the border. I hope Thailand finds a humane and mutually beneficial way of handling this.

21 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

I don't know where in Canada you can get a PCR test for 3900thb, I had a test done in Ontario last month and it cost me $ 169.00 + tax and it was the cheapest one that I could fine.  If there are something that you know and we don't, please let us know.  Cheers.

Don't know how this happened

21 minutes ago, Gerard052 said:

Anyways Gerard,  Try Dynalife.ca  Cost $150.00 CAD inclusive of all taxes.  Working with 26 baht to 1 CAD.  Let's see, hmm carry the eleventeen and I arrive at 3900 baht.

You know we've been poking fun at you guys for years.  Toronto and Canada ... are NOT the same thing (Go Habs). ????

6 minutes ago, ourdon said:

Don't know how this happened

Anyways Gerard,  Try Dynalife.ca  Cost $150.00 CAD inclusive of all taxes.  Working with 26 baht to 1 CAD.  Let's see, hmm carry the eleventeen and I arrive at 3900 baht.

You know we've been poking fun at you guys for years.  Toronto and Canada ... are NOT the same thing (Go Habs). ????

I checked, they are located in Edmonton, it is quite a way from Kingston, On to Edmonton just to get a PCR test.  I don't know where I could save money.

Just arrived from Australia. The free State PCR test 72 hours prior to flight was deemed unusable so had to fork out $150Aud for another test at Airport. Same result, but this time a passport No was included. I heard it was a money grab by Australian Immigration.

Then Thai immigration wouldn't let me in on expired Exit Visa for Resident. Had to hand over my passport and Residency book and report to Chonburi within a month to sort that out and hopefully they return both to me.

Another PCR test at hotel, and another NEG. Plus instructions to have another PCR test in 7 days, and hopefully that's it.

I don't recall anyone at airport checking my medical insurance or hotel booking.

The hotel did ask for copy of med Insurance before I arrived, and did accept the initial free PCR test.

So the Australian government is just as bad as the Thai govt imo.

Not replacing the PCR testing with rapid ATK tests is only a very small part of this CCSA Directive for the Country.

Yes ! It could well be viewed that this is no more than a scam. Up there along with the Jet Ski,s and Taxi,s to name but two. But in relative terms the number of affected people is small, at least in the short term..

The proposal to " Import Migrant Labour " is by far a much bigger issue.

It was bandied about several weeks ago , to allow 450,000 Migrant workers to enter the Country.

The proposals then were for the Workers to be Health Tested, be Fully Vaxxed , have quarantine accommodation on site, ATK tests every week, Health Insurance , and more things that I cannot remember.

All of which was to be at the expense of their Employers.

Like that is going to happen.

I can only see the numbers of illegals increasing dramatically, which allows them to be on a long leash, potentially spreading Covid where ever they may go.

Not very well thought out, and a scam for the Employers. 

So you see, its not just the Foreign Tourists that are being subjected to the Gov,t scams.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I am paying 65Eur for RT-PCR before flying.

The test&go costs me 5000B, or another 130Eur.

For a returnee, this is an extra pain to be endured.

For a tourist, it can turn Thailand to a "maybe another time".

Besides, two RT-PCR tests within 48 hours doesn't make much sense. I think they know all this, but they are perhaps unable to organize rapid tests at the airport for many thousands/day.

Theres no "maybe" for a tourist. The requirements for the Thailand Pass (fit-to-fly) , best prices I've found for a fully vaccinated, ex transport, are :

Pre-flight PCR $80

Insurance covid $170

Hotel one night, incl PCR and food $140

TOTAL about $400 and lose a day ... and another day on all this  paperwork.

Conclusion : leave Thailand till its people are all vaccinated means restrictions dropped. Say High Season 2022.

Try S America.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Card said:

The PCR tests don't necessarily show that you are currently infective. It tests for viral DNA and that DNA may be historic and no longer infective. The lateral flow tests for whole viral particles which are much more likely to be infective.

Although it is possible for a previously infected person to still have bits of virus in their body, RT-PCR testing is the gold standard, proven millions of times.

28 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Not replacing the PCR testing with rapid ATK tests is only a very small part of this CCSA Directive for the Country.

Yes ! It could well be viewed that this is no more than a scam. Up there along with the Jet Ski,s and Taxi,s to name but two. But in relative terms the number of affected people is small, at least in the short term..

The proposal to " Import Migrant Labour " is by far a much bigger issue.

It was bandied about several weeks ago , to allow 450,000 Migrant workers to enter the Country.

The proposals then were for the Workers to be Health Tested, be Fully Vaxxed , have quarantine accommodation on site, ATK tests every week, Health Insurance , and more things that I cannot remember.

All of which was to be at the expense of their Employers.

Like that is going to happen.

I can only see the numbers of illegals increasing dramatically, which allows them to be on a long leash, potentially spreading Covid where ever they may go.

Not very well thought out, and a scam for the Employers. 

So you see, its not just the Foreign Tourists that are being subjected to the Gov,t scams.

It would be an enormous task to screen 450,000 individuals. A job for the army, if ever there was one. Jab on arrival. Hold for 14 days. Test. Release. Rejab. Hell, what do I know?

100 Holding/quarantine camps, field hospitals, screening, Vax, unbelievable. Reopen the refugee camps!

I think there were many migrant workers who were here on an amnesty, and were vaxxed here prior to the lockdowns which closed their sites and projects. They left. Invite them back as a priority.

Edited by bradiston

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

It would be an enormous task to screen 450,000 individuals. A job for the army, if ever there was one. Jab on arrival. Hold for 14 days. Test. Release. Rejab. Hell, what do I know?

100 Holding/quarantine camps, field hospitals, screening, Vax, unbelievable. Reopen the refugee camps!

I think the " Quarantined on site " means that the workers are to" Bubble sealed " at the work place

13 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

I think the " Quarantined on site " means that the workers are to" Bubble sealed " at the work place

That was a recipe for disaster. Sealed in to nothing better than a gulag. It brought a lot of bad press. They have to learn from it, surely.

Thailand pass confusion: live in Thailand , family in Thailand a passport from 63 listed country, but work in a country that is not on the 63 list. While coming back, must take a covid test at a transit airport in country that is not on the list( Turkey) and lay over longer than 12hrs. So ''blue sand box''... can leave hotel and eat outside even meet my family after the first night/day and a negative test. However, come back to hotel( 30K baht scam), but I  have a house in Thailand within the specified blue zone sand box area.

As per definition, must return to hotel... absurd   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ourdon said:

Hmm, Your mileage may differ,

Departure from Canada PCR test                     3900 thb

Phuket arrival PCR test                                       2400 thb

SHA+ hotel room Kamala Beach Phuket            1518 thb

Taxi from airport to hotel                                     820 thb

10 San Miguel lite                                                   900 thb

Does that San Miguel stuff include the syringe?

9 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

Pcr test before flying most would understand,the hotel stay was not for 14 days so no one come.I looked the cheapest cost 4000 baht with test for one day,sha plus is the only group allowed.The hotel i would use  would cost half.so now i play the waiting game again like everyone else wanting to go there soon

One nights stay , transportation and pcr test for 4000b seems reasonable. I paid 4000b for a simple rt-pcr test needed to go to the usa last time i left Thailand 

Edited by Bkktodd
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Also, another issue regarding the pre-flight test: on the Uk Thai Embassy site it says "Please note that your test result must be in hard copy and in Thai or English language only." (note 14 under "Registration and Approval Process", link below). Why does it have to be hard copy? Most labs send the result by email; the last thing you need when rushing round to get away is having to fart around looking for a printer. Does anyone know if this nonsense is being strictly enforced? And if you are leaving from France, Germany etc. does it still have to be in Thai or English only?

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

What if you are departing from France and your 72 hr test result is in French then? Same with the vaccination certificate....in French.

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

What if you are departing from France and your 72 hr test result is in French then? Same with the vaccination certificate....in French.

I read that there are now hot lines for the Thailand Pass. Maybe you should ask them about the French language.

I live in Belarus and in order to obtain a Thai visa (and it is required), I must provide all documents in English (or translation into English, which was certified by a notary). And this is a large package of documents (a certificate from a bank, a certificate from work or a certificate of registration of an entrepreneur, for people with a family - documents on marriage or kinship, sponsorship letters, etc.). It's good that air tickets and hotel reservations can always be obtained immediately in English ... As well as a certificate of vaccination.

7 hours ago, RobinV said:

Just arrived from Australia. The free State PCR test 72 hours prior to flight was deemed unusable so had to fork out $150Aud for another test at Airport. Same result, but this time a passport No was included. I heard it was a money grab by Australian Immigration.

Then Thai immigration wouldn't let me in on expired Exit Visa for Resident. Had to hand over my passport and Residency book and report to Chonburi within a month to sort that out and hopefully they return both to me.

Another PCR test at hotel, and another NEG. Plus instructions to have another PCR test in 7 days, and hopefully that's it.

I don't recall anyone at airport checking my medical insurance or hotel booking.

The hotel did ask for copy of med Insurance before I arrived, and did accept the initial free PCR test.

So the Australian government is just as bad as the Thai govt imo.

It seems that the COVID Era has ushered in unnecessary justifications to find a way to profit in one form or another - be it private, corporate or government - everywhere, the world over. 

The comments of Robin above is just a meticulous example. 

11 hours ago, Tracyb said:

Fine provided you have access to a printer in the limited time between receiving the email and boarding the plane. Most UK labs tell you to allow up to 48 hours for the result. That leaves just 24 hours to get everything in order and get off to the airport in good time. But why is it necessary? The site advising visitors to the US advises that the PCR result can be presented in hard copy or electronic form.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/covid-19_testing_required_US_Entry.html#ExternalPopup

Why does Thailand have to be so obstructive; presumably so that a piece of paper can be filed away "just in case etc".

Edited by DoctorB
link added

22 hours ago, DoctorB said:

Why does it have to be hard copy? Most labs send the result by email; the last thing you need when rushing round to get away is having to fart around looking for a printer.

Because a whole lot of people who have become 'computer literate' in the age of Google tend to bung up airport check-in desks when they realize they can't share any documents or QR codes due to there being no easy Wi-Fi access?

AY141 out of Helsinki last Thursday being a good example where it looked like only 1 in 10 pax were smart enough to print out their docs 'the old fashioned way' and were checked onboard in half-a-minute. For the other 9, it took about 5 minutes each while Finnair check-in staff got them online so they could scroll through their email and find the attachments THAT THEY SHOULD HAVE DOWNLOADED ONTO THEIR PHONES BEFORE LEAVING HOME. My slightly dim mate did exactly the same on a quick trip to Norway from the UK a couple of months back. The unhelpful Immigration cop at Kristiansand had the deportation papers ready before a helpful pax from another arriving flight hot-spotted my mate so he could show his codes and stuff.

Meanwhile, back at Vaanta, there was the guy cluttering up check-in who was swearing blind that his phone couldn't connect to what must be one of the fastest, free airport Wi-Fi networks south of the Arctic Circle.

It is perilous to assume that everyone else who owns a smart phone is smart.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ncc1701d said:

Are you expected to make your own way to the 1st night hotel (can you hire car at SVB or get a taxi and make your own way), or does the hotel have to pick you up?

One-way transport from airport to AQ is provided by the hotel and included in the 1-night Test & Go AQ package.

• Thanks 1

The world has to live with covid. Fully vaxxed arrivals should only need to have a pcr test before travel; most airlines require this anyway.

We shall wait for better times. Sorry Thailand you won't be getting my tourist dollars until its easier to come, and I don't have the threat of being incarcerated in an expensive private hospital at my own expense.

Edited by MaiChai

32 minutes ago, MaiChai said:

The world has to live with covid. Fully vaxxed arrivals should only need to have a pcr test before travel; most airlines require this anyway.

We shall wait for better times. Sorry Thailand you won't be getting my tourist dollars until its easier to come, and I don't have the threat of being incarcerated in an expensive private hospital at my own expense.

Which airlines - I’ve flown three this year which do not (Emirates, Finn, Qatar) none of them require a PCR test before travel. I don’t agree with their policy - not because I’m worried about catching covid, but because I do not want to deal with the consequences of testing positive (forced quarantine etc). 

On 11/13/2021 at 4:12 AM, dinsdale said:

Ok. Must test the foreigners with PCR $$$$$ and dodgy Chinese ATK's for the Thai public.

If you think that’s bad, Nz takes the cake,450 Nz dollars for a RT PCR to leave the country, but I can go up the Rd and get one free to see if I have Covid , it’s a moneymaking grab though if you’re flying out

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 3:54 PM, arithai12 said:

I am paying 65Eur for RT-PCR before flying.

The test&go costs me 5000B, or another 130Eur.

For a returnee, this is an extra pain to be endured.

For a tourist, it can turn Thailand to a "maybe another time".

Besides, two RT-PCR tests within 48 hours doesn't make much sense. I think they know all this, but they are perhaps unable to organize rapid tests at the airport for many thousands/day.

My PCR test at Munich airport costs 178€ to be sure I get result before departure.