Thai PM’s odd suggestions cause quite a stir

webfact

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

He is Military and knows nothing about the real people and their lives and just thinks it makes him look good for re election .

Military?  I thought he was the PM. Or under Thai constitution can he be both?

"Toward the end of his remarks, he asked people who cannot swim to learn, claiming that he has taught children how to swim" ... I think he means that there's no way he can sort out the flooding problem so it's better that you live with it and learn to swim

I took my mrs to S21 in Phnom pen Cambodia and explained to her what happened  to the Cambodian people she cried her heart out it was the first time she had heard about what went on there they don't get Taught that at school I love Thailand and moreover Thai people 

1 hour ago, dlclark97 said:

Some Thais are very good swimmers.  After I watched my wife swim and dive while on a 3 island snorkeling tour on Koh Chang I convinced her (with little effort) to go on a PADI Discover Scuba trip.  Little did I know I would create a monster.  We have been diving in the Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.  She dives with the Thai Navy on reef conservation projects and at any other time she can get to go.  My daughter and I also dive but can't go with her everywhere.  She is well on the way to becoming an instructor.  I'm actually pretty proud of her, I know it is something she can do and enjoy long after I'm gone.

How many thai people have that opportunity though? I think the point of the conversation is the ability to swim for the general population as a whole, not just the chosen few.

that’s not to deride your wife’s achievements, she has made the most of the opportunity given her.

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually he is correct in that every child should learn to swim, it should be mandatory ....  as for the language I have always said schools MUST make english a requirement.  A child that can speak English has a far better opportunity to travel and advance in life through career prospects, than one that can't. 

Agreed.  Many farmers die from drowning.  The population is lazy and definitely exercise is good for health and lastly learning Thai and English would be useful to most in opening doors of opportunity.  Banning Isan would also be advised as it is a language of uneducated people.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Maybe your hero should practice what he preaches as his English is awful. I see you do your best to defend the indefensible.

His English is not that proficient .....  how's your Thai ...  Lol.

seems quite a few here agree with my comment :        

image.png.3977d2e63a9a1d3294b59dbd50ecf84e.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that, if you know how to float on water, you will never drown and people will help you, but “if you drown you will die”.

I must say that he's a lot wiser than I had assumed. I'm sure I've heard something similar before though, a long time ago... Maybe in kindergarten?

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

His English is not that proficient .....  how's your Thai ...  Lol.

seems quite a few here agree with my comment :        

image.png.3977d2e63a9a1d3294b59dbd50ecf84e.png

Kind of a bone of contention among a particular circle. 

Here we have primarily native English speakers [expats] of residency/long term status, over years, that still haven't the proficiency of basic communicative Thai. Yet, they insist that Thais should be sufficient in English........why is this? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

Does he speak two languages,

Why is he not like other world leaders who speak fluently many world languages?

Or they do not need once their mother language is English, do they?

Whether they can also swim is not really known... 

Why is this strange? It's good advice?

1. Learn to swim then less children will drown (exactly the same policy was instituted in the UK for exactly the same reasons)

2. Learn English it is the language of international business and tourism.

3. Excercise, don't get fat and unhealthy like wealthy westerners especially the Americans.

Very sound advice for the end of a speech ending a speech on a personal note which many speechmakers do the remarks often unrelated to the main speech but considered important to the speechmakers

"... saying that today is the day when Thailand “is being transformed”, and the most important thing is to maintain the country’s stability."

Autocrat speak for "I'm your man, don't you dare try to get rid of me!"

While I don't disagree with his suggestions in general, the context is just too bizarre.

Thai's generally have a hard time (harder than other countries, I daresay) learning languages unless they can see the benefit and can use it often. That observation must have escaped him.

11 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I think we are the majority of the ones who buy imported goods and bringing billions of baht into an economy that would be suffering much more without us.  

(1) I don't see how buying  lots of imported goods is helping the Thai economy. 

(2) Maybe you should emigrate to a country where these goods are cheaper

8 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Am I mistaken, or is this the same person who, some time ago,  claimed   eventually the whole world  populace would be speaking Thai.   ?           And as an addendum,    I have never heard  his mightiness speak a word of English.. Can he, anybody know???

Him wife teach Inglish at Chula - no ?

20 minutes ago, NeoDinosaw said:

(1) I don't see how buying  lots of imported goods is helping the Thai economy. 

(2) Maybe you should emigrate to a country where these goods are cheaper

#1 ... the taxes they receive from imports for starters.  Think automotive.

Along with the industry / employees, to sell & maintain imported products.

Don't you realize nobody is listening to you anymore? You rant daily, and rarely does anything you say make any sense, and you are rarely ever able to demonstrate even a hint of leadership ability. Remember when Dr. Tavida said that any country in this intense situation needs a leader that not only comes out strong but can also create confidence? A leader that can show empathy, and make sense of what is going on. Well, it is obvious we do not have that leader. Not even close. Not even a faint shadow of what the nation needs. In terms of showing empathy, is that something we have ever seen from this man? Any attempt rings hollow, as we have already seen that he is as out of touch as them come. A true Ivory tower sort of guy. 

What the nation needs is policy, competent ministers with experience in the fields their ministries are in charge of, and at least a tiny amount of vision and planning. Prayuth lacks every pre-requisite. So do most of his ministers. Especially Anutin and Phiphat. Likely the two least qualified and least effective of the lot. One would think during a national emergency, a skilled and talented tourism and  health minister would be considered important. So would a PM with skills and credibility!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually he is correct in that every child should learn to swim, it should be mandatory ....  as for the language I have always said schools MUST make english a requirement.  A child that can speak English has a far better opportunity to travel and advance in life through career prospects, than one that can't. 

And the importance of exercise and good diet has never been more important - You're dead right as all of my Thai friends that learned languages all of those years ago when I first lived in Bangkok, some taught my myself, are now living very fulfilling lives in Amsterdam, London and Copenhagen. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, keith101 said:

He is Military and knows nothing about the real people and their lives and just thinks it makes him look good for re election .

All children should learn to swim,, speaking 2 languages is good, is this going to be implemented into the new school curriculum, possibly no

4 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Yet, they insist that Thais should be sufficient in English........why is this? 

Because English is the International language.  If Thai was the international language, we'd all be taught it at school.  Learning English properly would give people far more advantages than just dealing with Expats.  Singapore have recognised this, they don't just teach English, English is the only language allowed in their schools.

However, I agree that if you go to live in a country, you should learn the language.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Where did I mention C of E pray tell?

You know exactly what I mean.  There may be schools that insist on a particular religious teaching - I didn't experience that, I could opt out.  However, my wife's niece goes to a Catholic school in Korat, she's taught Catholic Christianity AND Buddhism, why? Because its the law in Thailand - every child has to be taught Buddhism.

Overall, Thai children, especially pre-high school spend far too much time on non academic subjects - hardly surprising the standard of education is so low.

English education has its faults and seems to have slipped backwards since I was at school but for you to try and equate Thai education with English is ridiculous.

• Haha 1