Money in bank vanished

Please check your bank statement and look if these were payments at google.com - I think some popular local app was infected (intentionally or incidentally) with malware, or some popular shop (either online or offline) was hacked. Possibly we could determine which one.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1239419-banking-crisis/?do=findComment&comment=16985001

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

+1

Call me paranoid, but one of the first online activities before breakfast:

going through three Thai accounts, one German account/CC and WISE account :biggrin:

Not paranoid at all IMO. I do the same. All accounts checked whilst the coffee is brewing.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

+1

going through three Thai accounts, one German account/CC and WISE account :biggrin:

Yes, good idea. However doesn't the more often you access your accounts the more often some hacker type may intercept your id/password ?  

exactly the same happened to me a few weeks ago.

You need to cancel your ATM card, cancel all cards you have with every Thai Bank.

You will not have any further problem.

All monies were re credited to my bank by Bkk bank.

But i have cancelled the card and also cancelled my other bank cards here.

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Yes, good idea. However doesn't the more often you access your accounts the more often some hacker type may intercept your id/password ?  

But of course:

Users who are not safety aware about the devices they use (PC/tablet/smartphone) are prone to being intercepted/hijacked by some Trojan malware etc.

Also risky to do business at unknown devices at some internet kiosk/shop.

Some nerds think it is a good idea to "root" their smartphone.

Bangkok Bank and maybe others do not allow connection from such devices.

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

+1

Ditto and have frozen all my cards and set transaction limits to zero as well as having sms alerts for any movements. Can't be too careful! Unfortunately she who must be obeyed thinks I am checking up on her!

I would have a problem if the bank told me the money "vanished".

Double entry bookkeeping.  Every credit has an offsetting debit.  That is where your money went.  The personnel at the bank branch might not be able to research this, but the funds can be found and should be found.  Not because the the 30 baht is a big deal, but because the combined withdrawals of multiple victims accounts (I assume many people were impacted by this) are a big deal.  They should have quickly fixed this after you brought it to their attention the first time.  The bank probably doesn't want to give you a straight answer because it is too worried about the negative PR potentially created by the incident, should it go public.  Saving face...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nickmondo said:

this happened in multiple banks, not just one bank.

did you not see?

Millions were taken from multiple banks

And yet some retirees still put 800.000 bt in their bank account. If they can really afford to lose that, would they not be better off in a normal country which is not ruled by soldiers?

2 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

even with id and password they'd still need to clone your sim card in order to setup a new payee/transfer (to fill in the one time password) and get the money out. 

if the hacker had the capabilities to set all that up there are far safer and more lucrative targets to go after (crypto exchange accounts for instance).

easiest hack is still skimming debit cards and thats why thats so prevalent. best way to combat that is have 2 accounts and only transfer into the "live" account what you intend to withdraw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

That's my least concern. I don't want to hijack this to a technical/IT thread (my background).

But the encryption/safety procedures with the Thai banks are as safe or better than with "western" banks.

It's a common misconception that the threat comes from any interception of internet banking.

The real threats:

Giving away data for online shopping to "shady" sites.

Being fooled by pishing/fishing emails/SMS.

Social engineering attacks by phone calls from alleged bank employes.

Skimming devices/hidden cams at ATM machines.

All such stuff.

One weakness is indeed the possibility to use debit/card data for online purchases without two factor authorization.

So it might be a problem to hand over your card to some clerk/gas station attendant or the like.

One small improvement: note the three digit CVV number on the back of the card and then scratch it off.

Just a question. Since i was hacked and a lot of money was taken out, i've since had the money refunded by the bank and now lock my card and only unlock it to use it at an ATM. I am now using the QR code system to pay a lot of things or bank transfer. In your opinion is this the better, safer way to go?

33 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

even with id and password they'd still need to clone your sim card in order to setup a new payee/transfer (to fill in the one time password) and get the money out. 

if the hacker had the capabilities to set all that up there are far safer and more lucrative targets to go after (crypto exchange accounts for instance).

In my home country making a SIM card clone with "forgot passport at home" costs about 15 USD.

I doubt Thai mobile providers staff get huge wages to easily resist that 30-50 USD "donation" for cloning a SIM card without the passport.

33 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

easiest hack is still skimming debit cards and thats why thats so prevalent. best way to combat that is have 2 accounts and only transfer into the "live" account what you intend to withdraw.

I fully support this. Make sure you have two different accounts with different logins etc, not just two different debit cards linked to the very same account.

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1