Thailand reports 6,595 new COVID-19 cases, 53 deaths, 8,478 recoveries

webfact

COV20.jpg

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Saturday (November 20) reported 6,595 new COVID-19 cases, 8,478 recoveries and 53 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

▶︎ Infections outside prisons: 6,375. Prisons: 220

▶︎ Recoveries: 8,478

▶︎ Total infections since April 1: 2,028,712

▶︎ Total recoveries since since April 1: 1,921,906

Saturday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,057,575 with 20,358 deaths.

The news comes as Senior Thai officials are mulling incentives to encourage about 11 million as yet unvaccinated Thais to get inoculated against COVID-19 this month.

The measures, which include a ban on people who have not been vaccinated from entering public places, are to be submitted to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) for approval.

Government Spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana said yesterday (Friday) that Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Ministry of Public Health to speed up the vaccination campaign, to achieve the target of 100 million doses of vaccines being administered by the end of this month

*Thai PBS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update20NOV).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2021-11-20

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

Drop back down slightly from the 104 cases previously.

Health officials on Friday (Nov 19) reported 75 new COVID-19 cases, 24 of which were found in Hua Hin.

Hua Hin has found a new cluster at the B-Quick construction worker’s camp in Khao Noi sub-district, which has now resulted in 29 cases.

Elsewhere in the province, 15 cases were found in Pranburi, 6 cases in Sam Roi Yot, zero cases in Kuiburi, zero cases found in Thap Sakae, 9 cases in Bang Saphan, zero cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 21 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan. No deaths were report today.

Nov 19: Prachuap reports 75 new COVID-19 cases, 24 cases in Hua Hin - Hua Hin / Cha-Am News - ASEAN NOW - News, Travel & Forum

• Like 1

I mentioned this a while back, they are relying on this homemade mrna Chulacov19 vaccine next year as part of their supply but where are they going to find 30,000 unvaccinated and previously uninfected volunteers from for the phase 3 study? Thats presuming phase 2 results are actually ever published first!

Thai mRNA Vaccine to Enter Phase 3 Trials in ’22 . Researchers said challenge will be to find enough unvaccinated subjects

https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/thai-mrna-vaccine-to-enter-phase-3-trials-in-22/

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

My daughter's school has been closed due to covid. That's 4 schools in Kalasin Amphoe Mueang closed. How many more have openned and closed in Thailand? Why aren't we hearing about this? Post Loy Krathong I expect this to increase.

I guess it's not really "news" as it's probably happening in many schools all over the country. Touch wood, my son's school has got through the first week unscathed. But then again, I haven't seen much evidence of testing, other than on the first day. ????

Yesterdays covid deaths

• 27 males, 26 females: Thailand(50), Myanmar(3)
• Median age 72 years (7 – 90 years)
• Median (known infection-death) 12 days (up to 45 days)
• Deaths - never vaccinated 37 (70%)
❖ 2 children (4%) : 7 years old in Songkhla Province with thalassemia
and 12 years old in Yala Province had a history of brain tumors.

image.png.5694185600f3af2886d4d01b258d709e.png

https://media.thaigov.go.th/uploads/public_img/source/201164.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I guess it's not really "news" as it's probably happening in many schools all over the country. Touch wood, my son's school has got through the first week unscathed. But then again, I haven't seen much evidence of testing, other than on the first day. ????

I agree and disagree. I agree it's probably happening in many schools all over the country but I disagree in that I think this is news. Bit like the covid-19 in jails. Covered up until they were forced to come clean.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I agree and disagree. I agree it's probably happening in many schools all over the country but I disagree in that I think this is news. Bit like the covid-19 in jails. Covered up until they were forced to come clean.

We on the other hand are about burned out on online classes. Start at 8:30 am with the primary teacher covering Thai language, then a break for 15 minutes and the English teacher does her thing. Many pages then are worked on and photos of the work sent to an online album. After all is said and done the daughter is done by 4pm.  Spending a little longer then she would in actual class but she gets the work done correctly with us reteaching her for what she closed her ears to during the teacher and video watching.....

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

IMO school closures due to covid should always remain in the news, why did it close, what went wrong for it to get that bad, how will it be avoided again, what measures need to be improved.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, coolcarer said:

IMO school closures due to covid should always remain in the news, why did it close, what went wrong for it to get that bad, how will it be avoided again, what measures need to be improved.

I don't disagree although I don't see infections at schools meaning that something has "gone wrong". It's a highly infectious virus, so it's inevitable that infections will continue to occur once places like schools and bars reopen, irrespective of any preventative measures which can never be 100% effective.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't disagree although I don't see infections at schools meaning that something has "gone wrong". It's a highly infectious virus, so it's inevitable that infections will continue to occur once places like schools and bars reopen, irrespective of any preventative measures which can never be 100% effective.

There you go, we are in complete agreement, I said “what went wrong for it to get that bad” meaning some infections are to be expected but it must be pretty bad to close a whole school over it. in the school I work at we have had 6 in total positive cases over the last few weeks but never closed the whole school, no need as adequate preventative measures were in place. Fingers crossed that will carry on.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:04 AM, anchadian said:

The number of Covid-19 cases crossed 13.73 million across Southeast Asia, with 28,225 new cases reported on Friday. #COVID19 #Asean #TheNationThailand

https://www.nationthailand.com/international/40009037

Asean reported over 28,000 new Covid-19 cases on Friday

When I look at the above stats for 10 Asean countries , the total of 24k new cases and then the total population it seems quite low but if say comparing Thailand with the UK and a similar population ,  the UK is reporting on average 40K new daily cases and between 150 - 200 daily deaths . Why the huge difference which is even more mystifying when considering the vaccination roll out . Are the above stats considered accurate ?