Two arrested in Sydney over alleged 300kg heroin seizure in Thailand

webfact

1376431.jpg

SYDNEY/BANGKOK, Nov 21 (dpa): Two Sydney men were arrested in connection to a major seizure of heroin in Thailand, the Australian Federal Police (AFP) have confirmed to the media.

The AFP said the two men, including a 38-year-old alleged to be one of Australia's "most significant organised crime threats," conspired to import some 314 kilograms of heroin from Thailand to Australia.

According to police, they used closed encrypted platforms including AN0M, a service covertly operated by FBI agents.

Full story: https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2021/11/21/two-arrested-in-sydney-over-alleged-300kg-heroin-seizure-in-thailand

screenshot_15834.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ezzra said:

If you come to think of it, importing 10 kg or 300 kg you get the same punishment...Lucky for those two guys that Australia no longer have the death penalty on their books...

The last person hanged was in the 60's and the death penalty was totally abolished in 1973.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Are we sure the photo is from Thailand. Looks like somewhere else.

Not Thailand....it's either Indonesian or Malaysian....journalists just too lazy or blind to see the difference. Barrier tape is Indonesian I think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mokwit said:

Are we sure the photo is from Thailand. Looks like somewhere else.

Malaysia?

Fascinating that a huge bust in Thailand results in the arrest of traffickers elsewhere. Nothing to see HERE.

This was the paint bucket bust at Laem Chabang in July.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

If you come to think of it, importing 10 kg or 300 kg you get the same punishment...Lucky for those two guys that Australia no longer have the death penalty on their books...

You know the old saying: "might as well get hung for a sheep than a lamb" 

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

For interest sake, the Importation of any item containing Asbestos in to Australia, has the same Penalties as those of importing illicit drugs.

Just saying, it looks like to me that the Narcotics originated in Thailand,Burma and transported down to one of the ports in Malaysia, to be shipped to Aussie, the FBI and Australian Feds were able to get into their encrypted phones and virtually knew everything that was happening before the smugglers ( aka. Dumb and Dumber) great bust, congrats to all police concerned.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

I thought that was made quite clear in the second paragraph of the article

“……. heroin from Thailand to Australia”

Thailand is merely the trans-shipment country. Thailand offers secure shipment, provided you've paid the tariff to the proper "officials". I assume this came across a border, Laos, or Myanmar.

It was re-packaged here into locally-sourced, used paint buckets.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Edwin Cameron said:

Just saying, it looks like to me that the Narcotics originated in Thailand,Burma and transported down to one of the ports in Malaysia, to be shipped to Aussie

314kg of heroin hidden in paint buckets seized in Chonburi port just before being shipped to Australia

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/40002927