Who will cover asymptomatic detention/isolation hotel or quarantine due to "positive fellow travellers"

RubbaJohnny

Has anyone found a policy that specifically states it will cover the costs when the individual is neither tested positive but forced to quarantine and additional consequential losses, e.g. onward travel arrangements.

Despite any precautions the taxi  to the AQ hotel or receptionist could transmit, it is beyond our control?

I would be interested to have a link to an insurer please that will cover all these risks.

Of course anyone who has actually had a successful claim be even better.

This is not an enquiry about the merits of insurers or local  politics ,the costs/efficacy or the medicines or anecdotes re: re-entry requirements for OA , $50k or any other moot questions which are being thoroughly aired elsewhere.

Thank you in anticipation 

For those who have found or bought a policy what is the ballpark cost?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

o bites, not a single insurance agent

Reading insurers wont pay the compulsory hotel bills in another thread is a major reason any tourist should either self insure or choose another destination.

Nobody expects a free ride but surely whole purpose of insuring large groups you mutualize the risk to each as a small sum..

I got a policy through Tune insurance. You pay a little extra and it appears to cover the hospital or asymptomatic detention fees?

But probably not hotel bills? If I got caught in that situation when I return I would try to get transferred to bumrungrad. Rooms are better than most hotels.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

An insurance broker told me this isn't a problem now, they are not doing it. They will not quarantine a whole plane load of passengers for one positive test. Whether true or not I can't say. 

If so insurers will be falling over themselves to sell cover for it

On 11/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, RubbaJohnny said:

Has anyone found a policy that specifically states it will cover the costs when the individual is neither tested positive but forced to quarantine and additional consequential losses, e.g. onward travel arrangements.

I Have seen policies that mention to over isolation cost if ordered by a doctor or government regulations.

5 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

I got a policy through Tune insurance. You pay a little extra and it appears to cover the hospital or asymptomatic detention fees?

But probably not hotel bills? If I got caught in that situation when I return I would try to get transferred to bumrungrad. Rooms are better than most hotels.

Then you haven't stayed at a decent hotel.

3 hours ago, Alidiver said:

On a simular vein, we know the chances of being tested positive on arrival but what are the odds of being isolated for travelling with someone testing positive either on the plane of transfer..

You've got to be extremely unlucky but some people are i'm afraid.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ty Hareways said:
3 hours ago, Alidiver said:

On a simular vein, we know the chances of being tested positive on arrival but what are the odds of being isolated for travelling with someone testing positive either on the plane of transfer..

You've got to be extremely unlucky but some people are i'm afraid.

Who ????  Is there just one example of someone being quarantined because they were travelling close to a stranger who tested positive ???

There was one story of a group of Sandbox arrivals which was very clumsily reported on leading readers to believe 13 strangers were forced into quarantine because they were on the same flight and sat near to someone else who tested positive....  the reality was that a large family were travelling together, one of them tested positive - they were all asked to isolate. They wanted to return home instead of being confined to a hotel for 2 weeks. 

Another story, more recently... a guy took the same van transfer to the same AQ (SHA+ test and go) hotel, one of the guys tested positive, the other had to isolate and it was reported that this was because they’d travelled in to the hotel in the same van (as they were strangers). The media took up the reins of faux-outrage that two strangers were forced into the same van transport together. The reality, they were travelling together. 

I have not read of one story where a stranger was forced to isolate (quarantine) because they were sat next to or near to someone else (a stranger) who tested positive. 

Edited by richard_smith237

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The media took up the reins of faux-outrage that two strangers were forced into the same van transport together. The reality, they were travelling together. 

So, had they bumped into each other?

1 hour ago, Ty Hareways said:

I called Staysure Insurance in the UK and asked specifically about this situation, they said they will pay hospitals but most definitely would NOT pay the quarantine hotel costs.

This and the mandatory all day mask wearing will be keeping many tourists away.

I also spoke to StaySure. I asked if they would cover me if I was forced into hospital despite testing positive but not sick enough to be in hospital. They told me it would be decided on a case by case situation. To me that means they’ll accept my money but then refuse to pay out. I don’t trust any insurance company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got this Mail from TAT
I replied that no Insurance would cover the costs of Quaranäne.
I haven't received an Answer to this Day.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for communicating with us.
If you are tested positive for the COVID-19, even without any symptoms, there is a possibility that you will receive medical treatment at your hotel or most of the time be admitted to the designated hospital, possibly the the hospital that the SHA Plus hotel has coordinated with, or any other hospital. The medical expense will be covered by your insurance.

Best Regards,
Ronnayudh Buramook
Tourist Information Division
Tourism Authority of Thailand

Edited by Claus T

Thanks the anecdotes and refusals to insure however that is not what I seek.rather an  insurer who WILL pay for consequential loses  due to covid.

These could be 

1 A real or false positive test  symptomatic or asymptomatic leading to confinement in hotel, hospital or other compulsory place

2 Infection even in sole use transfer the driver may transmit as in my original post. The only way I could imagine this would be to walk to the Transit Hotel? Is this allowed?

I am not saying this is likely possible , but it cannot by definition be impossible? The fact the risk is low should mean a cheap add on, although insurers here are always delighted to sell policies and then renege as if they themselves don't understand insurance and reinsure to hedge the risk out of their profits.

So I ask TAT our readers like Mr Barrow and anyone intending to risk a few grand on a no fault situation.

I am not complaining about premiums I am just seeking the prudent action a family of 4 to insure against a perceived risk.

I  agree some  see no or minimal risk or so small they'll take the hit I'd  sooner not worry about a money wrangle when positive for a possibly deadly disease at my age.

That is why  insure my life home cars, bikes  and computer but not against alien abduction despite my wife living with what immigration amusingly call an alien.

Edited by RubbaJohnny

On 11/25/2021 at 10:35 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Who ????  Is there just one example of someone being quarantined because they were travelling close to a stranger who tested positive ???

There was one story of a group of Sandbox arrivals which was very clumsily reported on leading readers to believe 13 strangers were forced into quarantine because they were on the same flight and sat near to someone else who tested positive....  the reality was that a large family were travelling together, one of them tested positive - they were all asked to isolate. They wanted to return home instead of being confined to a hotel for 2 weeks. 

Another story, more recently... a guy took the same van transfer to the same AQ (SHA+ test and go) hotel, one of the guys tested positive, the other had to isolate and it was reported that this was because they’d travelled in to the hotel in the same van (as they were strangers). The media took up the reins of faux-outrage that two strangers were forced into the same van transport together. The reality, they were travelling together. 

I have not read of one story where a stranger was forced to isolate (quarantine) because they were sat next to or near to someone else (a stranger) who tested positive. 

There are plenty of cases in Hong Kong of people considered close contact that have been sent to government quarantine. 3 pilots in Frankfurt got covid and this required up to 100 other close contact pilots to be put into penny’s bay for 21 days iso, followed by about another 100 family and school members considered close contact. That’s just one example of many.

To answer the op’s question, I am yet to find anyone that will cover a mandated quarantine with a negative PCR test. You would think, like any insurance, they would calculate a risk analysis and produce a premium. 

if the risk is so small, then why not offer it? 

• Like 1

First it's important to understand what "insurance" is and what it is not.

"insurance" is to pay for covered expenses in case of accident or illness. One can look it up, don't rely on my explanation!!

Any insurance policy, will have a 'list of coverage, not by illness, but treatment" i.e. *80% doctors office, 60% hospital charges, X % for medications, X % for ambulance, X % for a specific treatment, etc, etc".

No insurance will say, hey if you come down with "X" we're going to write you a blank check for whatever bills you care to submit.

If a passenger, on your plane,  sitting 4 meters from you tests positive; is asymptomatic; and you are quarantined;
you are not, by any definition, medically sick and in need of any treatment.
This is the decision of someone other than medical personnel.

If you are asymptomatic, you are not in any need of treatment.

If you catch covid from the taxi driver, or receptionist, on the way to be tested?
OMG, if we've learned one thing in the past 2 years, is that covid is not detectable for 10-14 days from initial infection.
How long of a taxi drive you expecting?

Pre-covid one could probably drive from England to Thailand in less that 14 days.

If a passenger gets quarantined in a hotel, the passenger is going to pay... end of story

there's already some discussion here, that if you are sent to hospital, treatment/medications would be covered.

100% doubtful!! would come back to whatever %% coverage(s) are listed in the policy

Is it fair? Certainly not, but this is NOT the purpose of insurance... i.e. pay for "any and all costs incurred" that are not medically necessary.

This is a great question.  I am taking the risk by flying to Phuket from Bangkok for a break from Pattaya boredom sending me insane. 

My insurance won't cover forced quarantine based on another individual being positive and me being deemed a possible infection risk warranting isolation. 

It's a risk I am taking.  If it all goes to s***, I could be up for I am guessing 20,000 to 40,000 Baht out of pocket as well as a ruined holiday and no refund either on hotel already booked. It would make a very expensive 'holiday' in a prison hotel room.  

It's likely a huge deterrent for many people from traveling at all.  I have read some horror stories online.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess you could complain heavily about your symptoms, display strained breathing, cough constantly and then get placed in the associated hospital?

Other than that I think we have to live with, or decline visiting, the possibility of forced detention on our own dime. I'd say that risk was quite low, I only remember ten cases at most, out of ~ 125,000 arrivals (at the time).

Note that some authorities here are recommending home/self-quarantine now, but that assumes you cleared the one day thing.

Were I to be hit with a 120,000 bill I would push back hard on the service provider and the insurance company. After all I was quarantined for "medical reasons".

Headlines today in one of Denmarks largest newspapers is that their chief Editor was tested negative before leaving Denmark but positive on arrival in Thailand.

In danish.

https://ekstrabladet.dk/underholdning/dkkendte/tvangsindlagt-jeg-er-rasende/9056422

He has no symptoms and had his 3rd vaccine shot.

At first he and the companion were allowed to stay in their bungalow and had food brought to them, but today they will be forced into hospital quarantine, and let's just say he is not happy about that, since he has no symptoms and requires no hospital care.

He is furious.

His companion tested negative, but also has to undergo hospital quarantine.

Maybe later articles will describe who pays for those quarantine, since one is negative and one is without symptoms.

News like this is going to make some Danes cancel all future plans for Thailand.

Not all are going to risk mandatory quarantine in a hospital.

if his companion is negative, he won't be put in hospital, but AQ hotel for a week.

This editor should be aware of play rules before travel, he is able to read and understand. No need to be furious. He should blame himself for taking his journey too easy.

If hospitalised his insurance pays.

If only proximity not. Getting into hospital, what was offered to him, would save him money. Again, he also did no read and understand rules. 

They are pretty much same from the beginning of pandemic in thailand. Much different than in europe

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, internationalism said:

if his companion is negative, he won't be put in hospital, but AQ hotel for a week.

This editor should be aware of play rules before travel, he is able to read and understand. No need to be furious. He should blame himself for taking his journey too easy.

If hospitalised his insurance pays.

If only proximity not. Getting into hospital, what was offered to him, would save him money. Again, he also did no read and understand rules. 

They are pretty much same from the beginning of pandemic in thailand. Much different than in europe

Yeah it's a risk to be taken, but I'm still curious to see if it's the insurance that will pay for his hospital trip since he has no symptoms.

He had this nice vehicle waiting for him this morning.

https://twitter.com/QvortrupHenrik/status/1473905738363936771?s=20

Edit. According to latest article both him and his girlfriend was taken to hospital in ambulance with full lights and horns and will both be isolated in same room, and i can't see anything mentioning that she has been tested positive.

Edited by Virt

lucky for him, that he is hospitalised, because his insurance will have to pay.

Lucky for her (and for him), that she is not put in a hospitel, for which she would have to pay.

That way they have 2 weeks for themselves, possibly the second honeymoon.

I would think that in retrospection they both will appreciate this situation and regret being furious at world 

Edited by internationalism