Covid amnesty ?

No details have been released yet. Personally, if I was relying on Covid extensions, I'd get one this week while they're still available. That might or might not still be the case next week. And crucially, we might not even know before next week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

That applies to everyone, nobody can stay forever. You either leave through a border or through the chimney.

There's nothing wrong with "taking advantage" of available options. Once the powers that be want to take them away, rest assured that they will do just that.

I have marriage visa and I have money for extend it every year haha

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Why does it bother  u??? The only visa u need to worry about is your  own. Don't let the thought of other people being able to stay upset u. Anyway even when covid extensions finish there is always other visa options available.  ????????

• Like 2

23 hours ago, thaitom said:

taking advantage of ?  each individual have their reasons for applying for a covid extension that is offered by the immigration.

Yes, taking advantage over a possibility for extension, that was created because people should get the time to leave the country. Seriously hope they take away this joke extension soon.

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why should they not? You are probably also taking advantage of an extension.

No, he is not taking advantage of any extension. He is using a service that is always there, because he have created his possibility to stay long time in Thailand.

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

You are taking advantage of the marriage extension, isn't this obvious?

No, it´s not obvious! He is using the extension based upon being married. There is no "marriage extension". It´s also easy to understand that, with, the word advantage, he means using something for the purpose it was not designed for. Something that we all know you actually understood, but felt the need to compare with a normal extension.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

No, it´s not obvious! He is using the extension based upon being married. There is no "marriage extension". It´s also easy to understand that, with, the word advantage, he means using something for the purpose it was not designed for. Something that we all know you actually understood, but felt the need to compare with a normal extension.

Same can be said about the "extension based on marriage". It was never designed to be a permanent solution, this is why it is based on a non-immigrant visa and why it grants you a "permission to stay temporarily in the kingdom". Technically anybody who is getting the marriage extension more than a few times is taking advantage of it, because that's not what it was designed for. People who want to stay permanently are supposed to get permanent residency.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Same can be said about the "extension based on marriage". It was never designed to be a permanent solution, this is why it is based on a non-immigrant visa and why it grants you a "permission to stay temporarily in the kingdom". Technically anybody who is getting the marriage extension more than a few times is taking advantage of it, because that's not what it was designed for. People who want to stay permanently are supposed to get permanent residency.

So you would think that I am breaking the rules due to being on my 14th extension of stay based upon marriage.

Permanent residency is out of the reach for most people since it requires you to be working with a work permit.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

So you would think that I am breaking the rules due to being on my 14th extension of stay based upon marriage.

Permanent residency is out of the reach for most people since it requires you to be working with a work permit.

Right. So the only true long-term option available to you is out of reach. Hence you are using the only option, or easiest option, you can.

Just the same as anybody else, on any type of extension (covid extension, for example...)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

No, you are of course not breaking any rules, same as people who apply for continuous Covid extensions aren't breaking any rules.

But from how the immigration law and everything around it is designed (and worded), I'm relatively certain that the people who came up with it in 1979 expected people who stay long term to apply for permanent residency. Back then it was probably also easier to get permanent residency. So the way how marriage extensions are used today is probably not how the inventors intended it.

I just wanted to show to the previous poster that his argumentation, by implying that people who get repeated Covid extensions are doing something "wrong", doesn't make much sense and one can make a similar chain of arguments for the marriage extension.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

Really Jackdd? You did not understand at all what I meant with my quote. Let´s get it down to basics. The Non-O is offering extensions that are approved an written as a permanent solution in the Immigration law. They can be based on retirement, marriage, education or volunteer reasons. You can even get a work permit on an extension based on marriage.

Here you frequently give answers and opinions on visa and extension questions. At the same time you go on your merry way and try to compare and set the same status on a regular extension as you do on an extension made up from a time of emergency decree in effect? Again Really? I actually thought you would know better.

As a statement to other readers: An extension based on retirement or marriage is never to be compared with a temporary solution as a Covid-19 extension. That was only created to help people to remain in the country during an emergency. Which after has been taken advantage of by people that under normal circumstances are not able to stay long time in Thailand.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I just wanted to show to the previous poster that his argumentation, by implying that people who get repeated Covid extensions are doing something "wrong", doesn't make much sense and one can make a similar chain of arguments for the marriage extension.

No you can´t, but you seem to do that anyway. I am not posting that they are doing something wrong, as people are free to take advantage of a situation. However, you can not compare that with regular extensions. Same as you can not compare border hopping with regular extensions. It´s just a way to try and stay as long as possible in the country the wrong way. After that we have thousands on complaints on this forum every year, that "I was refused my 4th tourist visa" or "Why can´t I have a third 30 day extension".