Thailand’s English proficiency plummets: Survey

webfact

On 11/27/2021 at 12:49 PM, Sir Dude said:

They weren't doing very well 10 years ago and since then, they have done their level best to get rid of as many foreigners as possible... including teachers.

But they have many Filipino teachers now, who teach their students how to spell 'hellow' (i.e. with a 'w')...

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 1

On 11/27/2021 at 1:21 PM, Tropicalevo said:

"Thailand’s English proficiency plummets"

However, Thailand's proficiency in Mandarin is improving.

So is their Korean proficiency as many young girls want to move there. Just ask your Tesco checkout girls as they tell me every week.

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, Mango Bob said:

Maybe we English speaking countries who live in Thailand should try speaking some Thai.  I bet we are worst then the Thais.

Not sure about you but I am not a country.  I am sure that our Thai would be worse than that of Thais but the article was comparing the proficiency of Thai people taking English exams with that of other foreigners.  

22 hours ago, Thunglom said:

Every year it is the same single source and a company involved in selling English Education.

We really need a better analysis.

I don't know what they are going on about, I teach all my Thai friends good English so I don't have to learn Thai. Too hard at my old age, but I do know all the Thai food by heart. 

• Like 1

one has to question the validity of this single survey.

However I have noticed in industry a Brexit affect. Many companies use their language courses as part of their ISO programs.

Since Brexit many have reviewed their need for English and have looked to broader horizons for their language needs

as they are dealing with and Asia the EU rather than UK.

Many schools are finding it is profitable to offer courses in Chinese. Korean and Japanese French and German as these are being asked for by industry.

Whereas English will always be needed in business and commerce, companies are now looking at speaking the languages of their markets and managers as well.

Edited by Thunglom

1 hour ago, David T Pike said:

We are living in Bangkok, not Ancient Rome! ????

I don't think you fully understand the significance of Latin in today's world.

almost half of the English language is derived from Latin-based words. This means that people from Latin-based languages have a distinct advantage when it comes to learning English as they will recognise a lot of the vocabulary - and of course the script.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Would you disagree with the conclusion that overall Thais have very poor English skills? I don't, but I noted that all at the top of the list have been British or American colonies. 

No I don't agree .. I think the survey is looking in the wrong places. I think also that persob=nal experience is anecdotal and very misleading.

Many ex-colonies have vey good English because it is often still used in various ways in those countries - such as law, contract etc. However this is not a yardstick for English learning  across the board.

Thailand has serious problems with its education system, but language learning in Thailand is often outside that system. EF - are a business and promoting air own interests.

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

mystified by the simplest foreign phrases

Why are you mystified by a simple foreign phrase? 

You use of an idiom would show how little you understand about language acquisition.

I have noticed how many native speakers ae incredibly arrogant wen it comes to the ability of others to lear their language.

I think "ngoo ngoo pla pla " is an appropriate Thai idiom for you.

Edited by Thunglom

It seems that in every topic about Thailand's lack of English or proficiency, there are always posters having a go at America and our English. I can generally judge posters level of English deficiency from reading their posts. If they're not misusing break for brake or there, their or they're, then they are typing long continuous content without  correct punctuation or sentence structure.

As an example, posting 22 lines of text within 5 paragraphs using multiple commas, while having only 5 periods, should maybe conceal the fact he had 15 years of  teaching experience. 

On 11/27/2021 at 8:20 AM, Mango Bob said:

Maybe we English speaking countries who live in Thailand should try speaking some Thai.  I bet we are worst then the Thais.

Speak for yourself,....lot's of Farangs speak rather good Thai !

2 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

In Thailand, many Thai teachers know a lot about the English language.  They know all the grammar exceptionally well.  They have a fairly good vocabulary.  However, they are unable to put it all together and communicate verbally in the English language.  Then you take the local Issarn lady working in a bar in Pattaya or elsewhere.  Doesn't know <deleted> all about verbs, plurals, or the present perfect tense.  Limited vocabulary yet can converse in verbal English quite well.  

What you say is true. My wife spent seven years studying English to teach (she was already fine as an English speaker). But what she was taught was way, way too technical. I'm English, and a journalist for over 40 years, and I had absolutely no idea what they were teaching her to teach others. Most of it was totally irrelevant.

She was also given a test paper, and I found around 100 errors in its 10 pages, corrected them, she gave to it her professor, who then threw it in the bin.

Now, we have a nephew living with us. He has been learning English in a private school, albeit in a small provincial town rather than an expensive international school in a city, and after being taught English for seven years he still cannot put a sentence together. All I've seen him do is recite a word and spell it, which he does well. But that's it. My wife, since he came to live with us 20 months ago after his mother went to Hungary 'for three months' where her Dutch husband has a house, is trying to help him catch up now.

But, as I said, he still cannot put a sentence together. She says he's just stupid. He is, though, very talented at drawing and I've suggested that he should be pointed in that direction as he gets older (he's 12 now). That also appears to be falling on deaf ears.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 2:34 PM, overherebc said:

Not many of the expats here speak latin either.

English, whether you like it or not, is useful all over the world. Thai is useful in one country only, 

2 countries :people in Laos have no problems with Thai. Useful in Cambodia too, especially along the border. Some would consider Isan a separate country. So usefulness of Thai established in 4 entities :Thailand, Isan, Laos, Cambodia. ????????????????????☺️????