Any Long-Stayer Ever Been Refused a Visa?

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

To be fair, there hasn't been an increase in the visa cost since Taksin increased it from 500 baht to 1900 baht nearly 20 years ago. 

AS Thailand becomes developed, they should have similar requirements to developed countries, for example, the USA ask for 16 million baht to be invested by those wanting to retire there long time.  

That'd be, a whole lot of shakin' goin' on... 

19 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I knew someone who rather foolishly withdrew some money from his bank account during his under consideration period and was called in early by immigration and told that his marrage extension had been refused because his account balance had dropped below 400k

Called in early by immigration? How would they have known about the transaction on his account in order to call him in??

22 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Are you talking about the people who meet all the requirements ?

People who don't meet the requirements will not be given another visa .

All people, everyone can meet the requirements when using an agent. 

Why all the fuss about 400k,800k in the bank and for how long. Use an agent and all these headaches will disappear and are not existing. ????????

23 minutes ago, PeachCH said:

All people, everyone can meet the requirements when using an agent

Almost everyone would be aware of option of using an agent.

There is also the option of meeting the requirements yourself. 

It's up to the individual. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, greeneking said:

Always a worry. 400,000 in the bank for 90 days, though this year they said only need 60 days.

And then they wanted a further form about my monthly income too anyway.

If I applied a month before that is more time with no access to the money, and then there is one month extension under consideration too.

Visit after a few days by Immigration to the house was not after a phone call, but by surprise. Change in policy. Some applicants are not honest apparently so they come not knowing if I am in or not, whether my wife is at work or not, and then we have to find a witness at the last moment who can drop everything and come to the house.

If I really was mafia I would find a way to avoid these problems, I'm sure. Nearly 20 year's now telling them the same things every year.

I might be denied next renewal due to parking 1/3rd of the car on a bus stop at 06.10 today when the first bus doesn't come until 07.20, 400baht and a demerit point, if not paid within 7 days 1000 baht and a demerit point , i can pay this one with the last one obtained 1 year ago.

1 hour ago, Acharn said:

I've been doing this for 40 years, now, and even though I meet all the requirements, and my immigration officers (Nakhon Sawan, now) are friendly, I feel a lot of anxiety every year. Irrational.

Agreed, but I’m sure a refusal can be taken to a darkened room somewhere, where it would be possible to discuss the situation .

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Thats true and the very reason that folk should not leave it till last minute. 

I did my last one only 6 days pre expiry which I think is bit silly.

We are allowed 45/30 days prior so early visit allows time for new doc etc 

My extension expired on 22nd November. I applied on 19th October and was told to report back on 23rd December. I went anyway on 22nd November for my 90 day, and was told I didn't have to do that. A pity they forget to mention it when I was there in October.

Anyway, i can't see the point of applying within the 45/30 days early when it seems that they don't even consider it until your present extension expires. In effect, I'm waiting around 9 weeks for approval.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Anyway, i can't see the point of applying within the 45/30 days early when it seems that they don't even consider it until your present extension expires

Assume your on extensions based on marriage. Of course for retirement the extension is stamped and dated on the spot, so makes sense to do it early.

Sometimes, especially with income method an added surprise might come along. Statements etc.

In any event as always, it's up to the individual. 

Personally I like to go few weeks early. 

23 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I thought the point was that you don't have to go. Maybe this is just with the illegal agents that charge 20k?

You have to have the photo, I have been using the same agent for years , sometime they have interviewed but this year stick my face up to the window and click see you out side 3 min, later passport and passbook out the door.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeachCH said:

All people, everyone can meet the requirements when using an agent. 

Why all the fuss about 400k,800k in the bank and for how long. Use an agent and all these headaches will disappear and are not existing. ????????

It is illegal to bypass immigration requirements, especially if done by bribing the immigration police. 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Assume your on extensions based on marriage. Of course for retirement the extension is stamped and dated on the spot, so makes sense to do it early.

Sometimes, especially with income method an added surprise might come along. Statements etc.

In any event as always, it's up to the individual. 

Personally I like to go few weeks early. 

IMHO, better to do it as late as possible so the IO has no time to make you come back with pointless docs. AS I said before, they are not going to NOT give you a visa if you've been here a long time. 

• Confused 3