what was your career?

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

I was never a guy for physical work, not back in Scotland and not here in Thailand, I always paid  someone when I wanted any work done. I wasn't lazy, always did some form of exercise, I just would not do anything I did not want to do.

I always pitied people who worked five or six days a week existing from one week to the next in jobs they did not like to keep a family going.

I enjoyed working outside and going different places didn't like being stuck in one place, that's what home was for. 

When getting up the ladder and out of self-employment into company management you still wouldn't get me in the office for long, I would be out and about visiting sites. 

I be working 5 days a week 6 to 8 hours a day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I was a professional/semi professional musician playing Bass Guitar and Keyboards since a teenager, right up until I came to stay in Thailand for good. as a semi professional maybe only playing three nights a week, I took on other jobs as an HGV, and PSV driver so I could get a mortgage to buy my house. There was a government scheme in Scotland at the time, early to mid eighties that allowed people in rented property to buy their house provided they had a full time job.

I also worked for about 10 years as a part time Private Investigator being trained by an ex policeman who was already in the job.

private investigator ?  taking pics of cheating guys ?????

I  once met a guy  in Pattaya, who told me he was a lion tamer...  I told him he was a lion  sod.

Yes I am also  surprised  at the lack of input here from all those CIA, Green Beret,  Special Forces,  SAS, MI5  guys we  meet   while perched on a bar stool here,   though I always did find them shy, retiring types.????

PS,  my  remark, in my original  story, that I did as little  as possible for as much as possible was more than a little tongue in cheek, I was in fact not just a  hard worker, I demanded all those in my team   be likewise,  we worked in  a public safety area, which I was  committed to.

• Like 1

Businessman with many varied businesses through the years. It was fun or I would move onto something else... I thought I would never retire as I always enjoyed the game... then it stopped being fun and I retired young... had some good luck with RE investments... 

Enjoyed work - enjoyed early retirement.. just a lucky guy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

I  once met a guy  in Pattaya, who told me he was a lion tamer...  I told him he was a lion  sod.

Yes I am also  surprised  at the lack of input here from all those CIA, Green Beret,  Special Forces,  SAS, MI5  guys we  meet   while perched on a bar stool here,   though I always did find them shy, retiring types.????

PS,  my  remark, in my original  story, that I did as little  as possible for as much as possible was more than a little tongue in cheek, I was in fact not just a  hard worker, I demanded all those in my team   be likewise,  we worked in  a public safety area, which I was  committed to.

Health and safety ruined the earning for guys in the UK Building trade.

• Like 1

Over 30 years in Oil industry, onshore Refineries or Offshore Rigs. 

When is/was the right time to retire?

Difficult one as everyone’s financial needs and outlook is different. 

Personally i wouldn’t want to continue to work in Thailand as a financial requirement, in one shape or another, unless it was a hobby or but each to their own. 

Jobs I really enjoyed.

• Tree felling, log splitting ! Great outdoor wotk as a youngster and built a  really strong physique.
  • Market Trader, running auctions, selling anything and everything, great fun, good money!.5am start in winter was a bit rough.
  • Taxi driving, good comaradery with the guys, out and aabout going allsorts of places and talking with people was enjoyable. Saturday night drunks , not so good. Really good money ! Please yourself on the hours.

JObs I didnt enjoy but did anyway for the money/ perks etc. like expenses and company car/phone

• Senior Account Manager (office based)
  • Regional Rep
  • Regional Sales Manager

Always happier working for myself ???? a few other avenues also explored but thos were the high and low lights of a veried working life.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

. MaybeI  once met a guy  in Pattaya, who told me he was a lion tamer...  I told him he was a lion  sod.

It's probably because if you have an exciting job, retirement doesn't seem like a fun. I'm not a CIA agent etc, but for me retirement is not smth I'd be proud of and would like to share. I mean vacations are fun and I love it but damn, I wouldn't survive long without my business. Although say my parents and most of my relatives think differently.

• Like 1

Changed careers quite a bit. Military, customs brokerage, accounting, working at an online start-up, worked banking, manufacturing business, etc. Data analyst, business analyst, project manager, technical writer, reporting analyst, web development...a jack of all trades, a master of none - to a degree.

The work was fun. I really enjoyed 90% of it. However, I got tired of management, some coworkers, the office politics, layoffs, and other unpleasantries and quit working in my early 50s. I thought I'd be in Thailand now, but Thai wife wants to keep working and then this virus mess hit, among other things. Which is fine, life is good here in the USA. One day we'll make it back to Thailand, probably in the next four years. 

The new unpaid career is gardening, reading, writing, local travel, camping, listening to podcasts, music and audiobooks. Learning to draw, paint, sketch in my notebooks and on the laptop. Some gaming and learning to fly with a flight simulator, home repair, playing with the cats. Never a dull moment. 

Edited by Bohemianfish
added info

On 12/11/2021 at 7:40 PM, Kadilo said:

Over 30 years in Oil industry, onshore Refineries or Offshore Rigs. 

When is/was the right time to retire?

Difficult one as everyone’s financial needs and outlook is different. 

Personally i wouldn’t want to continue to work in Thailand as a financial requirement, in one shape or another, unless it was a hobby or but each to their own. 

Brega?

I used to be a brain surgeon for most of my adult life. But once I set foot on Pattaya soil, I decided to change profession:

Laboriously and with great personal and financial engagement, I decided to become a professional "Wh-Monger". No regrets! ????

On 12/11/2021 at 5:06 PM, ThailandRyan said:

You could say I was a Refuse Collector.  I cleaned the streets of the excrement that wandered aimlessly causing others grief and sorrow. 

On 12/13/2021 at 7:56 AM, seedy said:

Cop ?

All was Revealed

IT Security for 43 years.   Believe it or not, there was a demand even back in the late seventies - although the nature of the threat and the demands of the job vastly different.  In fact, the reason I stayed in the field (from college to retirement a year and a half ago) was that the job evolved all the time and never became boring.   Regarding retirement, I miss the pay but don't miss the short vacation time.