Ever did dream of being a bar owner?

georgegeorgia

Was the first thing i thought of doing when i arrived first time 1990, basically the main reason being you could stay forever in Thailand and have a multitude of girls at your doorstep.

Did not go with that plan only reason was money didn't have it, would have been a great experience as a young one (mid 20s) running a bar in Patts, was so envious of the guys running bars in BKK and Patts.

• Like 1

Just now, Darksidedude said:

Was the first thing i thought of doing when i arrived first time 1990, basically the main reason being you could stay forever in Thailand and have a multitude of girls at your doorstep.

Did not go with that plan only reason was money didn't have it, would have been a great experience as a young one (mid 20s) running a bar in Patts, was so envious of the guys running bars in BKK and Patts.

Been there, done that.????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Last thing I'd dream of, I've often wondered what the attraction is, i think it helps if an alcoholic or pre-alcoholic

Drinking is really not required. I did 15 years had two very popular walking Street Entertainment venues never had a drink as I was a non-drinker and still am. Regarding the question of ownership something I would never want after 15 years of seeing how things operate it's a headache I would prefer to pass on

• Like 1

I never ever wanted to work with people , would absolutely drive me crazy . There is always drama , if it isn't 1 of the guests who is drunk , then it's 1 of the working persons and if not that then it's the regulations and if not that , then it is the owner of the building and if not that .... . Nope never been slightest interested ....

• Like 2

At one point I became the unofficial half owner of my girlfriend’s bar in Chiang Mai. She already owned it when I met her. She was fortunate enough to sell it a few months before the Controlla Virus lockdown. 

As the months passed and various alcohol restrictions and varying degrees of enforcement came and went, the thing I noticed about the bars was that all the tourist / falang bars had to close, whereas it seemed that the jungle bars were operating more freely. All the tourist bars in the area where she owned hers are now gone. 

Even before the lockdown, I saw the business for falang / tourist bars declining because of decreasing numbers in tourism. The Jungle bars didn’t have that problem because their sales numbers are not dependent on tourism, but the local

population. 

It’s no secret that if a Thai has a thousand baht in his / her pocket, it will be spent before the night is over. Add to that, difficult times and most people for that matter will spend what they can to make themselves feel good if even for a few hours. 

Even now that restrictions are easing a bit, the jungle bars are still going strong with their Thai customer base and the tourist bars Thad managed to survive to this point are slowly showing signs of life. Unfortunately there are not a lot of tourists to bring back the money the bar owners in enjoyed. 

If we were to open another bar it would be a jungle bar. Definitely. 

• Like 1

Yes, I dreamed about it. And I am sure many others dreamed about it.

But life as a bar owner is hard work and often hard drinking.

I think there are, apart from all the other problems, two main problems which I would have. Being the owner and employing obviously only the hottest girls I would like to play with them. But it seems it's not a good idea to do that as the owner of a bar. 

And being a regular guest in a bar after a while we know the other regular guests and some guest who only come from time to time and some perverts and some big spenders and and and. Even in my favorite small bar there are lots of guest who I don't like. Now, as a guest, I can walk out if those others behave to give me headache. As an owner I would have to tolerate them maybe every day maybe for many hours. Or throw them out and lose the business. I guess if I would be an owner I would throw too many people out who I don't like. Definitely not good for business.

And then there is the reality with the pretty girls in bars. I don't think I know any bar with always hot girls over many years. It seems groups of hot girls move from bars to bars. Or they stop working. So if someone likes to go to the bars with pretty girls then it won't be the same bars over many years. As a punter that is no problem. As an owner, who wants to make money, it is a problem.

• Like 2

To all the guys who never dreamed about owning a bar.

I think in our dreams, and often in our alcohol induced day time (or night time) dreams, some of us would create the perfect bar.

Only the prettiest girls, any sexy outfit which comes to our mind. Great music, only what we like to listen to, maybe some fancy decoration and shows. In a dream all those things are possible. In real life not so much. This is why sometimes it's better to continue with the dreaming...

P.S.: First I tried to add the snake dance from Dust to Dawn - but YouTube didn't like that.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

No Falang really 'owns' a bar anyway they rent it, after paying millions of baht out for some bar stools and a pool table, then on top of that accommodation for the girls+ one meal a day + M/C transport for the girls.  I had thought of it many years ago did the sums and realized i could stay in a beach bungalow for many years stress free. Nah not for me mate.  

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:45 AM, bbko said:

Easy to set up, hard to make a profit with added "expenses", rent, key money, pay-offs, protection, possible extortion, finding the right managers/workers, legal & illegal hoops to jump through.

I would just stick to the illegal ones. ????

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Someone has to do it. It's called QC.

12 hours ago, Elkski said:

Wouldn't a bar owner have to check out each new gals qualifications?

Are you sure you are not over estimating your libido? You might have to get a younger man in to do the job!   :cheesy::cheesy:

25 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

NO!!!

I never ever even thought about it.  Terrible hours and too many days a week tied to the bar.  I was better suited for the job I was doing in Thailand.  Didn't even want to be a part owner or even a silent owner.  Just too many problems.  

I think the question and the dreams are not so much about reality and making money but about the fantasies what you would/could do in your own bar. 

And then it's of course something to talk about. I have a friend in Bangkok who owns a couple of bars. When he goes back home to school reunions or something like that. What do you do? Oh, I own a couple of go-go bars in Bangkok. ???? 

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Haha 1