Live in Burmese maid

Mohanan

We are a couple with an elderly Thai father needing a young Burmese live in maid to help out with housework and cooking.

Food and accommodation provided.

Prefer someone with no connections locally.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

We are based in Chiangmai

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, fangless said:

Why specifically Burmese? 

If the elderly father is Thai would it not be better for him to have a native Thai speaker and help out a Thai rather than an immigrant?

Also why no connections locally?  I would have thought that some local knowledge would be a high priority!

Why so many questions?

FWIW we used to have Burmese, Cambodian and Thai live in maids a few years back with young kids. The wife always picked the ones with less connections as they were more devoted and getting an immigrant was cheaper. Thai laws meant they had to be provided with correct paperwork and insurance to be legal. Haven't used them as kids grew up. All of them were excellent.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Not sure who would know someone w/no connections locally? Knowing them would already be some sort of connection... Not too many are here alone, I wouldn't think as most have family connections of some sort, and I don't think you want a street person... 

Where in CM are you? 

Woman I knew used to drive from CM to the refugee camp at Mae Sot and get one.

You could also ask at a local building site, or the work camp near the site they all live in.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

The trouble with those type of foreign workers that they are unreliable and can disappear on you at the drop of the hat no warning no explanations and sometimes taking some of your belonging with them and gone across the border.. not a good idea, get a local girl safer and better communications..

Edited by ezzra
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've found the Burmese maids far more reliable than Thai ladies.

And they only want half the wage.

Ultimately... this, in my experience the Burmese maids are simply better at doing the job. 

The Thai maids want more money which I’m ok with, but they don’t do a better job which I’m not ok with. 

We’ve gone through a lot of maids, had live-ins and live outs...  they generally work for a year and then disappear.

Our last maid went back to Burma, never returned, she sent her niece who worked for about a year, then just stopped coming and didn’t answer the phone.

So, we now have another maid (Thai) who’s pretty rubbish, just cleans a little bit (around things not under them etc)... she won’t do laundry or ironing !! 

We’ve contacted agencies who don’t reply, or they say they don’t have anyone available in my area !!!... 

To be honest, its bit of a PITA to get a reliable maid who’s trustworthy, reliable and good at their job and its not because we pay too little...  The last maid we paid 1000 Baht per visit (i.e. about 8am to 2pm) twice per week. 

The only thing which seems to work...   getting maids from recommendations of ‘other people or other maids who are reliable’... i.e. word of mouth. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

To the uninitiated wishing to make a negative judgement this may appear to be the case.

However, many who have employed maids over the years have found that domestic service workers from Myanmar simply do a far better job regardless of the wage.  The only issue is that the do tend to ’disappear’ !!... i.e. they take a month off and go back to Myanmar for Songkran and just don’t return....

I have had a couple and the ones I have had are very good workers indeed... they both had Thai husbands and families here, so they are not disappearing...