compression socks for flying

murrinman

Mine are Thigh high prescribed by doctor at Chula [Red Cross Hospital] they were expensive 1.750 baht.... when you think my Diabetic leather shoes were handmade and cost 3,000 baht.

I have had a few cheap one from Lazada, there just OK if your only going to wear them a couple of times then fine

• Thanks 1

I wear these....  Skins Calf Compression - they’re comfortable and don’t look like I’m wearing my gramdmas stockings !... 

I wear them on all flights I take, I wear them when driving anywhere longer than an hour.

I wear them as recovery after playing football etc

There are a lot of ‘recovery’ benefits to wearing compression, even if it means wearing compression after being on our feet all day... Squeezing the capillaries and accelerating the remove of toxins and lactic acid build up, increasing oxygen and nutrition return to the legs, boost lymphatic drainage, reduce inflammation.... 

8103941_model_2.jpg.294daac051d28362dc2305fa4826d47c.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 11:22 AM, murrinman said:

would anybody know were  i could these style of socks for flying to help combat  dvt (deep vein thrombosis)

cheers

Where are you at ???  that may help people narrow down locations you can purchase them. 

I imagine most large hospitals will have a pharmacy which sells them. 

Or the sports sections of a large shopping mall for the Skins I mentioned in the post above. 

As a last resort Boots at Suvarnambumi Airport sell flight socks - but by leaving it that late there is always a risk they are not the right size or have sold out etc.

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Compression socks reduce the chances of suffering an inflight DVT by as much as 63%....  you are right, its not rocket science !!!.... 

Wearing compression socks on a flight is a smart move, not just for those in risk groups, but for the also for the young, fit and health in low risk groups.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dvt/compression-stockings#research

Op-ed / news-blips, scare mongering to increase sales ... ????

Worked for airlines almost 15+ yrs and never once had to have a psgr carried off a plane for any reason.

Last 15 flights I was on, I wore flip flops, no socks and survived ... damn miracle.

Praise Jesus - my co-pilot 

Once again ... liking my odds "1 in 6000"

How many people get DVT from long haul flights?

"The final report of phase I of the WHO research into global hazards of travel (WRIGHT) project concludes that the absolute risk of venous thromboembolism among healthy individuals for a flight of more than four hours was 1 in 6000. Pathophysiological studies, it says, support these findings."
Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Worked for airlines almost 15+ yrs and never once had to have a psgr carried off a plane for any reason.

Last 15 flights I was on, I wore flip flops, no socks and survived ... damn miracle.

"The final report of phase I of the WHO research into global hazards of travel (WRIGHT) project concludes that the absolute risk of venous thromboembolism among healthy individuals for a flight of more than four hours was 1 in 6000. Pathophysiological studies, it says, support these findings."

I did 50 years ago, London - Toronto flight

So for past 50 years have worn  compression socks, in ALL over 2 hr travel = Plane. Train. Bus,  Car. even going into the City on MRT/Metro, still have to be tested every 2 years  ultrasound,  Feet/Leg doctors use to diagnose DVT, last one was last year, found the spot/vain is still OK no clot forming.. so 50 years of take the pill for that appear to have worked

4 minutes ago, ignis said:

I did 50 years ago, London - Toronto flight

So for past 50 years have worn  compression socks, in ALL over 2 hr travel = Plane. Train. Bus,  Car. even going into the City on MRT/Metro, still have to be tested every 2 years  ultrasound,  Feet/Leg doctors use to diagnose DVT, last one was last year, found the spot/vain is still OK no clot forming.. so 50 years of take the pill for that appear to have worked

did you quit smoking, or just buy socks ... ????

Stay on top of that, BE SAFE

Peera Pharmacy, inside Thapae Gate sells them.  The owner will measure your calf and tell you what size you need.  They really do make a different for long flights/car trips.  And yes, the symptoms of DVT often are not apparent until well after a flight/long car trip.  I've know expats to end up in local ICUs because of DVT.

On 12/17/2021 at 1:22 AM, KhunLA said:

That's a reassuring study for healthy people.  What do studies say about people with health issues or a history of thrombosis?

16 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Without compression socks my feet and ankles swell up. Other posters already gave advice on sources. Get the best you can find, they'll be pricey. If proper fit they should be super hard to put on.

Yes, they're difficult to put on, but amazingly once you have them on, your legs feel great.  Try to put them on first thing in the morning before any ankle swelling or if that's not possible, sit with your legs elevated for an hour before putting them on.  I find I'm in a much better mood after a long car, train or airplane trip or even a visit to a gov't hospital where I have to sit around for hours when I wear these "beauties".  Plus, people often treat me better because I really did get the kind that make me look like your grandmother 5555.

Remember there are 'compression socks--basically foot and ankle'  and 'compression stockings--foot and up to the knee' and also 'full length compression stockings--foot to thigh'.

In my humble opinion the 'compression stockings up to the knee are the best' and as previously stated, they will cost at least 2,000 baht for good ones.

They are called Medical compression stockings' and should be at least 20-30mmHg*.

One of the best brands available in Thailand are "JOBST".

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2021 at 12:39 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Compression socks reduce the chances of suffering an inflight DVT by as much as 63%....  you are right, its not rocket science !!!.... 

Wearing compression socks on a flight is a smart move, not just for those in risk groups, but for the also for the young, fit and health in low risk groups.

https://www.healthline.com/health/dvt/compression-stockings#research

I flew as an air courier for close to ten years, normally 1 or 2 Thailand to Europe, US or Mexico a month.  Compression stocking's helped immensely.  Before I began using them, my feet would swell so much I could barely get my shoes back on.

Getting properly fitting compression stockings is very important as they compress certain points and allow circulation through others.  You Tube has a number of videos on how to measure for the socks.  

I tried calf length stockings  and they were hot and very uncomfortable on long flights.  Knee height were best.

Proper compression stockings are very tight and not easy to get off and on.  A little bath powder helps.

Also important to make sure left foot and right foot are correct.

These guys are goofy but very knowledgeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JGM_4lumXM

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 1:22 PM, KhunLA said:

Normally, DVT does not strike victims while on the flight; more often than not 12 to 24 hours after disembarking. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

Normally, DVT does not strike victims while on the flight; more often than not 12 to 24 hours after disembarking. 

Reply w/ linked article, I replied to, stated 'inflight DVT'... though I did know, like 'diving bends' may not hit till later.

Though I've not used compression socks, it looks like something that I should look into.

Here's a very, very well presented video on what to look for when purchasing this kind of product.  Don't just grab the cheapest thing you come across; they're not all the same.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 1:22 PM, KhunLA said:

Then you should be aware that the symptoms of DVT are not immediately noticeable but manifest themselves a day or more later.

DVT, migrating through the heart (Pulmonary artery) and developing into a Pulmonary Embolism is a serious issue.... 25% of people will have a thrombotic event at some point in their lives there are various ‘lifestyle’ factors which increase the risk....  one of these is long periods of inactivity, i.e. long drives, or sitting on a flight for 10+ hours.... 

But....   yep... we should believe a trolly dolly and ignore the advice even the airline he worked for will have dished out... wear flip-flops because he uses the ‘dumbed down ‘seat-belt’ *argument'. 

[*the seatbelt argument... “I never wore a seat-belt and I’m still here” !!....   ]

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1