Omicron impacts tourist numbers

Jonathan Fairfield

Why do they even have to speculate that the decline is because of caution concerning Omicron? Because they don't want people to think about the confused and confusing entry policies implemented by the government, the risk of unjustified quarantine, and the problematic condition of the country's service sector.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Saw the airport bus arriving in Jomtien yesterday,  If you doubled the number of passengers, and then doubled it again, the answer is four.

The world of observable reality is a cruel place.

Not all arrivals will go to Jomtien I guess. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kelboy said:

Maybe everyone can see the news that there's no fun to be had in Thailand. No drinking no dancing no everything, so why come?

Spot on. That and all of the aggro and cost of getting 'permission' to come.

We are busy here but the guests all complained about the 'jumping through hoops' and the additional costs of tests etc.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Hua Hin seems to become a ghost town, with many shops closed and for sale and rent. We walked yesterday around in the city and it lost its glamour... Very sad to see...And with the new strain and the lockdowns in Europe it will not be better soon

On the other side of the coin, a friend came home yesterday after a week in Hua Hin and said that the bar areas/restaurants were very lively and that the hotels that he stayed in were all fully booked.

He did say that the guests did not look like International tourists.

He thought ex-pats and domestic tourists.

Edited by Tropicalevo

3 hours ago, kelboy said:

Maybe everyone can see the news that there's no fun to be had in Thailand. No drinking no dancing no everything, so why come?

That's not true.

In Pattaya all the beer bars on the beach road are open. Also nearly everything in Soi Buakhao. Even some lady bars in Soi 6 are open now.

Everywhere you can get alcohol, masks and social distancing are not required. You can party till late, Just ask residents / expats where to go after 11pm.

Come and get your free Omicron ????

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Dropped 50% since December 8th?

I find that hard to believe, that would mean around 9 Omicron confirmations in Thailand are scaring off tourists who would have already passed all the hurdles & booked flights etc... then canceled.

Or, people are saving money for Christmas at home an never intended to travel as much as TAT predicted.

I was coming 3 Jan I told my travel on Friday to cancel we'll holiday here in Australia too risky to come to Thailand and go through the constant testing

Is that really due to Omicron already, or more due to the fact that all those Thais and expats who wanted to return to Thailand have done so in the meantime?

Seriously, how many of those arrivals were real tourists? Half of them, at best?

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 1

Sorry, but most tourists - not returning expats or business - finalised their travel arrangements months before Omicron reared its head.  I doubt if it's affecting tourist numbers much at all.

Quarantine, bar closures and no nightlife, now that has definitely affected tourist numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, internationalism said:

they are foreigners, thai on foreign passports (for easy return to their departure country), but majority are not tourists.

they are expats, traders, businessmen or working thais taking their holidays and visiting family.

Maybe only 10-20% are genuine tourists coming for just  a few weeks. 

Sounds like you have not been to Phuket.

1 minute ago, DefaultName said:

Sorry, but most tourists - not returning expats or business - finalised their travel arrangements months before Omicron reared its head.  I doubt if it's affecting tourist numbers much at all.

Quarantine, bar closures and no nightlife, now that has definitely affected tourist numbers.

The world is slowly locking down again, people can't return. Many are forced to cancel their holiday plans.

• Like 1