Why does it seem that so many people here are working class?

Freddy42OZ

Why does it seem that so many people here are working class?   

194 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

As a Marxist, I'd prefer to be working class.

But sadly due to my university education, I automatically fall into Middle Class.

But Karl married a Baroness and was OK with it.

So it's not the ideological end of the world.

You are a bourgeois capitalist and not a comrade then?  ????????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tgw said:

nope.

"working class" consists of people who are employed in manual or industrial work.

it's not directly related to money, but rare are people with money who choose to be employed in a manual labor job.

one exception might be Forrest Gump at the end of the movie.

"working class" consists of people who are employed in manual or industrial work. - Nonsense! If you 'work' at any job, regardless of earnings you're 'working class' because you 'worked'! Some people do like to feel superior so give themselves middle class titles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

"working class" consists of people who are employed in manual or industrial work. - Nonsense! If you 'work' at any job, regardless of earnings you're 'working class' because you 'worked'! Some people do like to feel superior so give themselves middle class titles.

Hey, hold on a minute, we don't want all these middle class bourgeois in the working class. We are salt of the earth people and the sun shines out of our asses. :cheesy::cheesy:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Not in the UK, still going strong. Born in a council flat I was. Shared toilet and bathroom. In my school, it was an academic achievement if you stayed on at school past 15 years old! ☹️ 

Hmmm. That does sound like a by-gone era... ????

13 hours ago, transam said:

Isn't the 'class' thing from a bygone era....?

Not sure what he even means with working class.

I mean there is a huge difference between someone who works as an constructor(earning a wage) and someone who owns a construction company (in knowledge levels)

Or a person who works in an high paying IT job or someone who stacks shelves (intelligence wise in general that is)

13 hours ago, transam said:

I remember when a plumber went round on a push-bike, now they drive around in a Merc van, so what is he in the class scale. 

Saab make fighter aircraft. Doesn't make anyone driving a Saab a fighter pilot. In any case, anyone that works for money is a Wiff Waff Wuffian.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

13 hours ago, tgw said:

nope.

"working class" consists of people who are employed in manual or industrial work.

it's not directly related to money, but rare are people with money who choose to be employed in a manual labor job.

one exception might be Forrest Gump at the end of the movie.

The heaviest thing I pick up is a pen. I'm still not sure I'm upper class.

8 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

"working class" actually has a definition, it's not for anyone to make up the meaning. maybe look it up.

4 hours ago, tgw said:

"working class" actually has a definition, it's not for anyone to make up the meaning. maybe look it up.

I did look it up. Lots of confusion there. Predictably, America defines class by income earned, so a highly paid blue collar worker would be middle class - go figure.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Chainsaw said:

I did look it up. Lots of confusion there. Predictably, America defines class by income earned, so a highly paid blue collar worker would be middle class - go figure.

That's true to some degree but Americans would still generally consider a college educated white collar middle class person as a higher class than a well paid blue collar worker. The US does have more class awareness than Brits realize.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That's true to some degree but Americans would still generally consider a college educated white collar middle class person as a higher class than a well paid blue collar worker. The US does have more class awareness than Brits realize.

Would that still hold true if the college degree was in Peace Studies?  Or a degree in Disruption?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Is this thread about US or Thailand?

7 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Is this thread about US or Thailand?

It's about expats in Thailand. We bring our bodies. We bring our blood, sweat, tears, <deleted>, and vinegar. We bring our hard currency and soft or hard appendages. We bring some baggage. A lot or a little. Some bring our pets.

We bring our class. Or lack thereof.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's about expats in Thailand. We bring our bodies. We bring our blood, sweat, tears, <deleted>, and vinegar. We bring our hard currency and soft or hard appendages. We bring some baggage. A lot or a little. Some bring our pets.

We bring our class. Or lack thereof.

And your ignorant attitudes, for example 'but my freedom'.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not sure about that, as most 'enlightened' (paper trained or non-diploma'd HiSo), we go by income level ... ????

And of course, taxes paid or avoided.  Means 50% of workers / families are low low low class.

Middle income earners, whether blue collar (hands on) or white collar (office) ...  stupid class.

Then there are, HiSo A-holes, that carry all your A$$es ... not sure which are dumber, but we have more toys. ????

Low - both income & tax contribution, bare existence

Middle/stupid / blue-white collar - good salaries, tapped out income on loans, healthcre & tax burden.

High / ????? - good incomes, and silly taxes at 40ish % (fed/state/local) depending on state lived in, and if having to pay.

https://taxfoundation.org/federal-income-tax-data-2021/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAzfuNBhCGARIsAD1nu-9TKYM957dYy3ueQ4GeTG-1FZGWWme9-MRa1g3ILRecG_w0DK6kn0kaAtTOEALw_wcB

WhoPays4.png

Edited by KhunLA

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And your ignorant attitudes, for example 'but my freedom'.

Oh no! 

An anonymous poster on the internets doesn't like me.

How shall I cope?

Will I even have the will to moisturize my buttocks today after such a blow?

Ashy butts are the devil's playground.

8 hours ago, Chainsaw said:

where did you look it up ????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_class_in_the_United_States

even in the US, there seems to be a consensus around low-skill or low-education labor.