Thailand may cancel Test & Go due to Omicron: Anutin

webfact

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

At this rate we may not know what the story is for Pass holders until the first planeliads land...if then.

I really need to find out as the hotel I booked for T&G is definitely not where I would choose to quarantine for 7 days.  So if this is going to be required I need to figure put how to change hotels..quickly.

You would hope there will be a changeover period and a defined date where the current rule changes to give people a clear indication of where they stand and what they need to change for their particular circumstances. 

Hopefully soon. 

7 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You would hope there will be a changeover period and a defined date where the current rule changes to give people a clear indication of where they stand and what they need to change for their particular circumstances. 

It would create chaos to suddenly require everyone in the system to switch to a quarantine

• Like 2

On the basis that the Reuters report is correct:

What a set of bar stewards, the airlines really are - they deserve to go bust.  I've just come off the phone with Etihad to ask if I can make a small change to my flights.  My flight stops off in Phuket for 1.5 hours before continuing to Bangkok so I asked them if they could arrange it so that I, and my luggage could disembark in Phuket for the outbound leg only.

To the best of my knowledge all that is required is a small barcode change so my luggage goes with me as obviously I can physically exit the plane.

"Sorry sir, that would involve re-routing your journey and require a new tcket involving any fare difference applicable"  - that is what I expected them to say.  A new ticket at todays price is around £1500 - thanks Etihad.

Up until a couple of years ago I knew one of Etihad's ground supervisors at Manchester and I know they are capable of making quite a lot of changes - she certainly could have made the miniscule change I'm asking for but she's left now, I can't rely on that anymore.

If I became ill whilst waiting on the tarmac in Phuket, they would have no choice but to take me off the plane without any extra charges. The more I travel, the more I hate airlines.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, thisisrascal said:

I’m willing to bet that the Director of UCL’s Genetics Institute knows a bit more than a random poster on an Internet forum. 

The question is,

Would he be allowed to express his knowledge if it ran counter to 'official government/WHO policy'?

Or would he just keep quiet and continue drawing his generous pay.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

On the basis that the Reuters report is correct:

What a set of bar stewards, the airlines really are - they deserve to go bust.  I've just come off the phone with Etihad to ask if I can make a small change to my flights.  My flight stops off in Phuket for 1.5 hours before continuing to Bangkok so I asked them if they could arrange it so that I, and my luggage could disembark in Phuket for the outbound leg only.

To the best of my knowledge all that is required is a small barcode change so my luggage goes with me as obviously I can physically exit the plane.

"Sorry sir, that would involve re-routing your journey and require a new tcket involving any fare difference applicable"  - that is what I expected them to say.  A new ticket at todays price is around £1500 - thanks Etihad.

Up until a couple of years ago I knew one of Etihad's ground supervisors at Manchester and I know they are capable of making quite a lot of changes - she certainly could have made the miniscule change I'm asking for but she's left now, I can't rely on that anymore.

If I became ill whilst waiting on the tarmac in Phuket, they would have no choice but to take me off the plane without any extra charges. The more I travel, the more I hate airlines.

Can you cancel and rebook ?

3 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

I probably shouldn’t post this because I haven’t fact checked it and I don’t know the news source. It was just sent to me.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/thailand-reinstate-mandatory-covid-19-quarantine-foreign-visitors-omicron-2393381

if I read it correctly, they will honour existing approved Thailand passes. 

You mean because of this:

'About 200,000 visitors who had previously registered for the quarantine waiver and sandbox programme will still be eligible, said government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana.'

??

Eligible yes. Made to quarantine? Could be - as with all Thai announcments since the beginning of this fiasco, the devil is in the detail and quite often the detail doesn't come until after the changes have begun.

• Like 1

I entered Thailand on 1st November. Had to leave on 16th December, with a flight booked back to Thailand on 6th January. Read the headlines yesterday and the proposal, quickly booked my SHA+ hotel and PCR test on arrival, uploaded my documents yesterday afternoon for TP application and miraculously got my QR code approval about an hour back. At this point I would not object to a second, free PCR test days after arrival, if they insist. I feel I have run my luck already. Let's see what transpires today / tomorrow as more official announcements are made...

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Last year, in the UK at Christmas, new infections were about 30,000/day, hospitals were overwhelmed by 3000/ day admissions, which got worse to 4000/day early January 2021. (A Tsunami of patients on Christmas day was one quote).

Yesterday there were 90,000 new infections. Three times last years numbers. 

The only counter to that is that last year testing was far less at about 300,000, compared to around 1.3-1.5 mil in recent days.

Also last year most of the population wasn't vaccinated, and last year we were dealing with a Covid variant that caused more severe symptoms 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Totally discredited apart from our experts on this forum.

One of the signatures on The Great Barrington Declaration was Dr Johnny Bananas.

Sums up some of are amateur epidemiologists here.

You seem to take great pleasure in mocking 'experts' and 'amateur epidemiologists' on here, while at the same time sharing your 'expert' opinion ???? 

There are countless views and opinions even from the real doctors and virus experts, so it's not black and white. 

1 hour ago, LoVeFuN said:

Screenshot_20211221-110553.jpeg

The Thai legal firm that I use say that it is still up in the air about what will happen with existing approved TP holders beyond that they can still enter. More clarity on Friday apparently.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

Test and go is now cancelled. 7 day minimum quarantine, at least through 1/4. You can't do any planning with these people.

Total and complete incompetence. 

Time to roll the dice, <deleted> or get off the pot, time to wait and see what the fall out is after it is actually confirmed as to whether or not it is grandfathered in for those who already have an approved QR code.

4 hours ago, Bvor said:

of course there is no crystal ball.

my "lament" was that i personally feel safe with 2 jabs + boosters + RT PCR + antigen test, etc.

A Nut has put unvaccinated thais at risk cos of half baked vaccination programs hence his panic.

IMHO. 

Sorry, misunderstood you then.

It should be noted that even having previously been infected with Covid doesn't provide protection against the Omicron variant.

• Like 1

Just a heads up for anyone not aware of changes to test and go. As of this morning registration for this program is closed to foreigners. From what I can tell by the message on the site, anyone who already has a QR code, will be allowed entry under the program. Others are subject to the sandbox program, it appears. 

Panic has set in already. The cowards are not up to the task at hand. 

• Like 1

Just arrived on Test and Go for a few months. Gatwick all masks and very spaced out. Qatar same. Thailand masks yes, but the airport was chaotic. Luggage belts malfunctioning. Multi (full)  flights coming up on one belt. Whilst the masks do some good in enclosed spaces, nothing very smart about not having all belts working and flights separated - hardly a busy day.

Lots of travellers from all over the world, turning luggage over, putting it back  and so it went on. These human tangles are why this can't ever be stopped or even slowed it seems, without stopping all that it is to be human. 

A bit of strict adherence, then a scrum of people, eating, sorting through luggage, then into a sealed taxi, then meet with friends from all over... 

Whether some like it or not, it's unstoppable unless we stop living 'normal' lives completely and always. 

If this new variant does leave in its wake, a level of natural resistance to infection, then the countries that are overtaken by it now will have receding levels at the time that the countries trying to batten down the hatches, will experience rises.

6 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Time to roll the dice, <deleted> or get off the pot, time to wait and see what the fall out is after it is actually confirmed as to whether or not it is grandfathered in for those who already have an approved QR code.

On the test and go site it states that if you already have a pass, you are grandfathered in. How very charitable of them. 

that was a very fast reaction and really nobody expected it within 24h or even within this year.

But phuket sandbox is not bad at all.

It will just move traffic back from bangkok to phuket.

That is temporary measure, but nobody knows for how long yet. 

So hopefully a month or two, if omicron turns out not dangerous  

On 12/21/2021 at 3:10 PM, Cherrytreeview said:

Yes, they suggested herd immunity, locking Granny and Granda up and letting the virus rip.

Delta would have been licking it's lips. Millions dead globally already and millions more with long covid.

Totally discredited apart from our experts on this forum.

One of the signatures on The Great Barrington Declaration was Dr Johnny Bananas.

Sums up some of are amateur epidemiologists here.

So far the Great Barrington trio has not been censured by their universities: Oxford, Stanford and Harvard! 

13 hours ago, Oblomov said:

Just arrived on Test and Go for a few months. Gatwick all masks and very spaced out. Qatar same. Thailand masks yes, but the airport was chaotic. Luggage belts malfunctioning. Multi (full)  flights coming up on one belt. Whilst the masks do some good in enclosed spaces, nothing very smart about not having all belts working and flights separated - hardly a busy day.

Lots of travellers from all over the world, turning luggage over, putting it back  and so it went on. These human tangles are why this can't ever be stopped or even slowed it seems, without stopping all that it is to be human. 

A bit of strict adherence, then a scrum of people, eating, sorting through luggage, then into a sealed taxi, then meet with friends from all over... 

Whether some like it or not, it's unstoppable unless we stop living 'normal' lives completely and always. 

If this new variant does leave in its wake, a level of natural resistance to infection, then the countries that are overtaken by it now will have receding levels at the time that the countries trying to batten down the hatches, will experience rises.

It would be sensible if Thai airports would put big advice placards at exits to transport: "For your health please travel in transport with windows open."