First local transmission of Omicron detected in Thailand, 63 cases confirmed so far

snoop1130

22 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

My Thai partner queued for 90 minutes at Pattaya Festival yesterday for her booster only to be told that she was 3 days early in the 3 months time between shots, told her to come back Thursday.

How stupid is that ???????? 

Yes pretty stupid to go and queue 3 days early.

I went on day 90, and first thing I asked even before queuing was whether that was ok (it was).

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Which makes me personally believe the virus was “man-made” and escaped from the Lab in China. 

Good luck to some intelligent posters , and for the rest ...

bye bye , never again , not worth it .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s first, has also been detected, in a Thai woman who did not travel outside the country, but whose husband recently returned from Nigeria. 

Well of course by now they would have tracked, traced and tested all of the husbands and wifes contacts.

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Many people will not be reporting if they have Omicron as they may never know that they had it. Without requiring hospital treatment who would???

There are now three reported Omicron subvarieties. If the symptoms are 'mild', like in the case of the South African one, then yes, many probably won't. 

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

I'm not sure yet whether this one identified Omicron case will lead the outbreak here as its fully traceable to the husband and the contacts they've had. Its when they start popping up with unknown travel history or unknown high risk contacts that I believe will be the start of the wave.

When it really gets going it doubles in less than 2 days, there's no stopping it, any measures put in place would be too late anyway. The impact in Thailand is the big question. Thailand tends to hospitalize cases more so than other countries, even now with just around 3k or less a day there are still 38,892 people in real hospitals with delta. 

How will Thailand react to the massive number it will see and how they isolate all those, the vast majority of which will be mild symptoms is the big question. 

There is still no certain evidence of how virulent Omicron is, be that milder than delta or the same. However that does not really matter too much as that is not the focus, even if it were the same as delta the symptoms would still be mild because of vaccinations. The focus is on sheer numbers of people infected and what to do with them. Factor in the sheer number of frontline workers that will also be infected, nurses, doctors etc

Personally I would see it as no choice but for home isolation, ridiculous to start erecting loads of field hospitals again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

Yes pretty stupid to go and queue 3 days early.

I went on day 90, and first thing I asked even before queuing was whether that was ok (it was).

She asked when we arrived they said yes, as we are going up country for Xmas and new year, but when at check point they said no ????

• Like 1

If the Government are thinking of introducing quarantine and travel restrictions ie Provincial wise

Can they wait until after the New Year period

We have just finalised  our travelling plans for Bangkok and Hua Hin over

The Christmas and New Year ???? 

Would be most appreciated 

We're right back to Thailand opening the entirety of Thailand to travel on Songkran after the Thong Lor hotspot breakout that spread across the country.

The government is going to repeat that once more with Omicron on New Years Eve and my guess?  They'll get the same results.

Edited by ArcticFox
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Anutin also revealed that travel measures may be readjusted. Based on initial discussions, all arrivals may have to go through quarantine again, with the cancellation of the Test & Go scheme. The “sandbox” scheme will remain in place. Such measures will have to be proposed to the CCSA first.

Kbank's "worse-case" estimate for tourism in 2022 at 23 million arrivals just dropped by another 25%.

4 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

Time to cancel my Thai trip for next year. No way am I going to spend 10-14 days in quarantine. 

And just imagine if you pop positive on a Covid test.  Then it's an additional two weeks of forced incarceration in a hospital.
Mexico!  Great beaches, weather, and food.  No Covid drama on entry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Even if they close the whole country down , it will still spread here .

No way to keep it out .

Vaccinations against Delta have little effect on Omicron .

and what source of data do you base that broad statement on.... it would appear based on data  from South Africa and recent Moderna tests that indeed vaccinations  have a great affect against Omicron.....

• Like 2

Posts containing content that was copy and pasted from some sites without any supporting links provided have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

Twitter posts and replies have been removed as they were in violation of the following forum rule:

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

Off topic posts and the replies have been removed. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ArcticFox said:

Kbank's "worse-case" estimate for tourism in 2022 at 23 million arrivals just dropped by another 25%.

Cutting a very long story short, I don't believe a second that Thailand could see "23 million arrivals" in 2022. Lucky if it comes to a few millions.

And what a stupid precision in the "23 million" estimate anyway! Anyone with a sense of numbers would have said "around 20 millions" (an optimistic estimate anyway).

4 hours ago, Tarteso said:

And now Omicron, soon we will have the Virus with names of the complete Greek alphabet.

In USA it starts to be worrying..

70659F6B-05CF-4790-BE94-E14A59B5F82B.jpeg

The question should be, "Who creates the narrative?"  Who creates the particulars regarding 'variants' and their spread.  What is verifiable by the average man and what is taken completely on faith?  Are you on the inside or the outside?

Analogy_of_the_cave-2.jpeg.044f8841b2ca58c00e46e6c0564670ce.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I'm not sure yet whether this one identified Omicron case will lead the outbreak here as its fully traceable to the husband and the contacts they've had. Its when they start popping up with unknown travel history or unknown high risk contacts that I believe will be the start of the wave.

When it really gets going it doubles in less than 2 days, there's no stopping it, any measures put in place would be too late anyway. The impact in Thailand is the big question. Thailand tends to hospitalize cases more so than other countries, even now with just around 3k or less a day there are still 38,892 people in real hospitals with delta. 

How will Thailand react to the massive number it will see and how they isolate all those, the vast majority of which will be mild symptoms is the big question. 

There is still no certain evidence of how virulent Omicron is, be that milder than delta or the same. However that does not really matter too much as that is not the focus, even if it were the same as delta the symptoms would still be mild because of vaccinations. The focus is on sheer numbers of people infected and what to do with them. Factor in the sheer number of frontline workers that will also be infected, nurses, doctors etc

Personally I would see it as no choice but for home isolation, ridiculous to start erecting loads of field hospitals again. 

There is no way the Thai authorities can contain the spread of the Omicron variant. No way.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

You know where you are... rules is rules.... why did she go early?

Probably same as me, doctors order after testing my immune system it was very low even after 2 Pfizer shots catching Covid Positive. Now after 3 months getting a Moderna booster instead of 6 months this week.