Test and Go: Tourists who received QR code can still enter Thailand

webfact

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I am one of those who have not left Thailand yet, will leave in a few weeks and then return in February, but already have applied and been approved for my Test N Go QR code.  Hotel has even confirmed, based upon the news yesterday, by e-mail everything is still in place for my return.

I hope all goes well for you, you lucky Boy.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

So they're going to let Omicron in AND destroy tourism. Either do it properly or don't do it at all. Letting 200,000 people in before tightening things is mad. It will be too late by then.

I'm happy for those who get to avoid quarantine, but this is a case of closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. In fact it's even worse than that, it's knowing that the horse will bolt, waiting until he does so, and then closing the door. 

Well said, Sir.

These new arrangements cannot be said to be based solely on sound medical advice - indeed the veil has now been parted somewhat: we can now see that politics and money have a large (or the largest) say in covid policy.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I hate to say I saw the potential writing on the wall and so I applied when my 90 day window came up as I had already booked my flight out and back since the US had lifted restrictions in November before Omicron hit, but I know that even though they say they will honor it, anything can happen.  Looks like South Africa is just now starting the decline in the number of their cases.  So this thing may rise and fall within the next 6 to 8 weeks here, praying it does.

Well planned.

Just one thing would worry me in your Shoes.

The Honour bit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

It has already arrived @JonnyF.  Just have to wait to see what the next two weeks brings as far as the cases spreading here within the country,,,,ergo why the January 4th re-visit.

Yes it's already here. So why let in another 200,000? Are they saying it's not here enough to see how it spreads? They need to let another 200,000 people in to get more Omicron and get a better idea how it spreads? Why wait to do this? It doesn't make sense to me. Either do it properly or don't bother. This is the worst of both worlds.

• Like 1

"This means more expense and possibly waiting for tourists, notes ASEAN NOW"

yes, one more PCR test on the 7th day of hotel quarantine or phuket sandbox, probably around some 1500-2500b.

Of course, cost of the previous 2 other ones (before boarding and on arrival) do add up. 

Thailand pass is still being processed, even those submitted yesterday from afternoon to midnight - some lucky applicants got it already, but there is still 7 days window for getting it. Maybe even 1014 days, taking holidays into consideration. 

Timing is not changing. Most probably now will be faster, because less applications. And there would be reduction allowed countries from now 63. Details should be shortly.

No drama. Along what is happening now in the other countries.

Thailands T&G is far more complicated than in the other countries. They have time now to rethink and streamline, automated (certainly now 5 days is too long for many travelling for business or work), if they want to travel at short notice

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

I think they can't deny the already approved Thailand Pass (TP) holder entry (at least at the moment). As this would be even worst case scenario for future tourism. 
With this step they try to not harm the tourism more than necessary with trying to not allow in more.
But you have to think if they change this for already allowed TP holder. Then the outcry would be big as many would lose a lot of money, because probably the travel insurance would not cover this. because they would allowed to enter, but have to do quarantaine or Phuket sandbox instead of 1 day test & go!

I also think it's not good (should stop right away) but in perspective of the tourists who already had their TP I think it's the right decision!

• Like 1

So I guess we can be certain that Thailand's historically porous borders have been sealed and that there is no way that omicron can enter through that proven route (that's how the outbreak started last year). Otherwise Thai leadership would look awfully stupid if not downright negligent for killing the economy for nothing.

Regarding native Thais - It's one thing for people to not have hope as was the case throughout most of 2021. But quite another to give them hope and then yank it away like this. Like what most of what this administration does I doubt that they have fully thought through the longer term effects of their actions. Weeks ago when my wife was planning to have her daughter visit from the US I warned her that the Thai government might reinstate full quarantine but she was incredulous. I imagine that Thais are in a bit of shock over this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

555 you've changed your tune. It wouldn't be because you are one of the 200,000 would it? A bit like Piers Morgan preaching for everyone to stay safe and then flying off to Antigua for a holiday. So you're off to the States where Omnicron is rampant and then coming back to Thailand on the Test & Go scheme? In that case, let's leave it all open until you're back, right? Unless the trip is absolutely vital, it seems a bit hypocritical given your stance up to now about everyone being super vigilent, on the side of caution etc. 

I'm actually in favour of keeping it open. But if you're going to close, then close. It makes no sense to let 200,000 in when it's obvious that some of them will have it. Like I said, it's closing the door after the horse has bolted. Pointless.

Where did I ever say lockdown the country.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

In the Netherlands now there are 15% infections of Omicron, and they expect at the end of this week it will be 50% and at the end of next week the dominant strain.  Just to show how quickly the Omicron spreads. So what will happen here at the New Years Eve parties???

Lots of Omicron spread. 

14 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where did I ever say lockdown the country.

I'm not sure if you said that or not. I'm not going to trawl through all your posts but it just doesn't seem very consistent with your overall stance of ultra caution and constantly reminding everyone to stay safe etc. I guess when you need a holiday this approach can be adjusted a little bit. Piers Morgan was the same.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time, stay safe and don't bring it back to Thailand with you. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not sure if you said that or not. I'm not going to trawl through all your posts but it just doesn't seem very consistent with your overall stance of ultra caution and constantly reminding everyone to stay safe etc. I guess when you need a holiday this approach can be adjusted a little bit. Piers Morgan was the same.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time, stay safe and don't bring it back to Thailand with you. 

How do you know he's going on holiday and not for an essential reason? Never seen the word holiday used apart from you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

555 you've changed your tune. It wouldn't be because you are one of the 200,000 would it? A bit like Piers Morgan preaching for everyone to stay safe and then flying off to Antigua for a holiday. So you're off to the States where Omnicron is rampant and then coming back to Thailand on the Test & Go scheme? In that case, let's leave it all open until you're back, right? Unless the trip is absolutely vital, it seems a bit hypocritical given your stance up to now about everyone being super vigilent, on the side of caution etc. 

I'm actually in favour of keeping it open. But if you're going to close, then close. It makes no sense to let 200,000 in when it's obvious that some of them will have it. Like I said, it's closing the door after the horse has bolted. Pointless.

Spot on. Well said. A job in the UK gov awaits. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Staying safe, social distancing and protecting oneself does not go against what was posted Sir. I myself do go out and about, do practice what I preach and do travel here in Thailand.  Doing the right thing is protecting oneself and being vaccinated does help someone who is a diabetic with an autoimmune condition.  Protecting family does not mean locking grandma and grandpa away...try again. No holiday or vacation by the way.  So troll away and bait some more.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

Just now, ThailandRyan said:

Staying safe, social distancing and protecting oneself dies not go against what was poster Sir. I myself do go out and about, do practice what I preach and do travel here in Thailand.  Doing the right thing is protecting oneself and being vaccinated does help someone who is a diabetic with an autoimmune condition.  Protecting family does not mean locking grandma and grandpa away...try again.

Well, I'm not sure that flying half way around the world to an Omicron hotspot for a holiday is necessarily the best way to stay safe and protect oneself, especially if you have underlying health conditions.

Likewise, I am not sure sitting on an aeroplane for a 24 hour flight (twice) is the best way to socially distance but I certainly hope you manage to avoid a) catching it and b) bringing it back here.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Well, I'm not sure that flying half way around the world to an Omicron hotspot for a holiday is necessarily the best way to stay safe and protect oneself, especially if you have underlying health conditions.

Likewise, I am not sure sitting on an aeroplane for a 24 hour flight (twice) is the best way to socially distance but I certainly hope you manage to avoid a) catching it and b) bringing it back here.

Your view and again not a holiday, but I will agree to disagree, and When i fly I fly in a suite, first class, wear my mask and still social distance. Enjoy your view that you would impose on others and not on those who you deem healthy.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

It makes absolutley no sense to allow people with exisiting TP to continue to enter with T and G.

A QR code does not make them immune to Omicron.

Nothing makes one immune to any virus except your vaccinations and immune system, even then you may or may not get sick or get it so bad you may die.  Nothing is certain in this life except death and taxes.  After two years of this constant disruption, and if we have learned anything, the virus will be amongst us just like all of the viruses that before now never killed millions, yet those days are dwindling as folks being vaccinated have helped get a foothold on a new immunity for their bodies.  Even being quarantined for 7 days or 14 days does not mean you can not be infected, as it has happened here once already and elsewhere as well.