Fourth Vaccine Shot Approved for Elderly and Medical Workers

snoop1130

ae75f4e8852a3e0ccb3b30f0fde99544_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The National Vaccine Institute has approved a fourth dose of COVID-19 vaccine to boost immunity among specific groups.

According to Dr Opas Karnkawinpong, director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC), the latest meeting Advisory Committee on Immunization Practice (ACIP) initially approved a fourth round of vaccinations for medical personnel and frontline staff, patients with chronic illnesses and low immunity, and people who have had their third dose for more than three months.

Dr. Opas said people who receive the first two doses of an inactivated virus vaccine, followed by the third dose of a viral vector type vaccine, are advised to get an mRNA jab for their fourth shot. For example, if the first two doses were Sinovac injections, followed by an AstraZeneca injection, then the fourth should either be a Pfizer injection or another AstraZeneca shot. If the first two doses were Sinovac shots, followed by a Pfizer jab, then it is recommended that the individual receive Pfizer doses for the fourth shot.

The ACIP board has meanwhile approved inoculations for children between the ages of 5 and 11 using vaccines approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Dr Opas, however, said the most important thing is for parents to understand information related to vaccines before voluntarily giving consent for their children to get vaccinated.

The approvals will be submitted to the National Communicable Disease Committee for consideration by December 24.

nnt.jpg
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Myself and Madam, both "elderly", only just got our 3rd doses.

SWMBO just about to have No 4.

2 sino plus 2 Moderna.

I've had 2 AZ and probably will hang on til Feb for a Pfizer.

Both 'not young' ????

I am getting a bit hesitant in thinking about getting any more after that. I suppose 'if' we can travel to uk and return without all the faff and a 4th is needed for me I might consider it.

14 minutes ago, rbkk said:

The size of the Moderna booster is important.

50 mcg booster (Half dose) = 37 fold increase against Omnicron.

100 mcg (Full dose) = 87 fold increase against Omnicron.

The results from the recent trial above come a week late for me. My Moderna booster was a half dose that will increase my antibodies to the same level as after the 2 x AZ. In U.K, if you have had 2 x AZ as a primary course they recommend a full dose of Moderna as a booster against Omnicron.

(

Both me and my wife were vaccinated in the US (Pfizer) last spring, we received a third shot of Moderna a few weeks ago here in Thailand. The certificate we got says

"First Dose" but it does not say anything about MCG, Am I to assume it is a full dose of 100 MCG?  

Edited by sirineou

24 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Both me and my wife were vaccinated in the US (Pfizer) last spring, we received a third shot of Moderna a few weeks ago here in Thailand. The certificate we got says

"First Dose" but it does not say anything about MCG, Am I to assume it is a full dose of 100 MCG?  

How very confusing for you. Yes, it's your first dose of Moderna but as a booster. Clear as mud! Best to ask at your vaccination centre. I don't get my piece of paper till tomorrow, a week after my booster dose.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sirineou said:

It sounds to me that your "full" vaccination with Pfizer is NOT in their system, and their system now says you have one of two initial doses, no boosters. In any case, I haven't heard of Thailand giving half doses of Moderna yet to anyone -- so full dose.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

4. shot? Not only Thailand plans that and the vaccine producers announce it will be necessairy.

Funny!

When I predicted that a couple of weeks ago, it was "fake news", a "troll post" and those posts were deleted faster than I could wright them.

No problem, I do not expect an apology. I know where I am ????

Not so fast. They're talking about specific patient profiles and also keep in mind that Thailand heavily used Sinovac so the baseline for lots of people here is very weak. Of course we now know that two doses of Astra Zenica is worthless in preventing getting infected with Omicron after 100 days.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chris.B said:

3rd dose of what?

Sorry, I wasn't clear.

I have 2 x Az (last one 3 months ago) plus a Pfizer booster.

Madam has 2 x Sinopharm (again about 3 months ago) plus a Moderna booster.

We both received SMSs with booster appointments.

Well, eventually, yes it might still take years but hopefully sooner, this will become an endemic situation like normal cold and flu. I don't see the big problem with taking as many shots as the experts suggest in the meantime. The vaccination programs so far have saved countless lives. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MY application was rejected today because of  NO RECEIPT FOR PCR test .

i understand that not i will have to go threw the whole process again, because there

is no way on their web site to update an rejected application.

so only question now: HOW DO I PAY FOR THIS PCT TEST?

tried to log in to their web site, cannot.

i am sure no one will reply my email, and my flight is coming early next month.

another question is: what happans in case that my flight will be cancelled / changed?

will i get a refund for this PCR test payment?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Hulu said:

3,4,5,6,7, a way to safe Pension.

it take Years to make a good Vaccine.

It normally takes years to test a vaccine simply because you need a group of people to get sick, which usually takes a long time. With this virus that's not the case, which is why the vaccines were quickly through testing.

They work remarkably well and have saved millions of lives. Surprisingly, one of the unexpected problems is actually getting some people to get vaccinated.

Saying that less than 100% efficacy means they're not useful is essentially saying that all preventive measures in life are useless. Seat belts, safety goggles, etc. etc. etc.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

I agree that kids are not the priority group, but there are more people who are waiting for the first or second jab. 

I don't know the Thai numbers. If there are still unvaccinated in the vulnerable groups (and willing to get vaxxed!), then they should be prirized along with the elderly waiting for jab 3 or four.

25 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

I don't know the Thai numbers. If there are still unvaccinated in the vulnerable groups (and willing to get vaxxed!), then they should be prirized along with the elderly waiting for jab 3 or four.

You can find the number on Covidvax Thailand

8 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

You can find the number on Covidvax Thailand

Thankyou for the link. But it does not show the vaxx-state related to the age.

Millions of unvaxxed kids or people up to, say, 40 years would not concern me, if the real vulnerable had a very high vaccination rate.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not so fast. They're talking about specific patient profiles and also keep in mind that Thailand heavily used Sinovac so the baseline for lots of people here is very weak. Of course we now know that two doses of Astra Zenica is worthless in preventing getting infected with Omicron after 100 days.

In reality no vaccine stops you getting infected with any covid variant. There is a very good chance it will reduce your chances of getting very ill. I'm sure that's what you meant.

• Thanks 1