22 baht shy of 800k for a month

OK going in on Tuesday to Chantaburi to renew retirement extension and get reentry permit. The bank took out a 300baht card fee and that left me 22 baht short for a month. This was January.  As soon as I noticed I put 1000 in. I wouldn't have got the text reminder anyway as I was out of the country so please don't bang on about that.

I could leave the country without doing it as my flight is before the extension expires, but I would have to start again and I don't really want to do that, other possible issues etc. I get on pretty well with them and I expect that I'll be able to work it out reasonably, perhaps a small present. But forewarned is forearmed, whats the worst they can do. Any thoughts.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

They could refuse your extension if they notice it. In that case they could suggest a 60 day extension to get your bank record back on track. Did you leave the 800K in the bank for the rest of the year?

"perhaps a small present."

Be very careful here! If, as a last resort, you could ask if you are able to pay a fine/penalty to right things.

In future, keep an extra 10 grand in the bank on top of the 800K!

Yes the 800 has been there all year. I was hoping they wouldn't notice, ie the passbook update would be one of those block ones where each transaction isn't printed, however alas I didn't have enough transactions for that. No point "losing" the passbook and getting a statement as the opening balance would be 799977.5. I am leaving the country on 14/1 so I'm not sure an extension does it for me. My current one expires 18/1 a 2 month extension would be 18/3, they probably wouldn't do a retirement extension before I left. I should say regarding asking about a fine or penalty, my frugal instincts probably don't extend to giving them 5k for such a tiny mistake I'd have to think about that if it was the final option.

Edited by Bluetongue
added a sentence
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, tgw said:

couldn't this be sorted by the bank by just cancelling the charge and re-charging it now?

then they issue a corrected statement and it's like the charge never happened.

I like the way you think, I'll ask them when I'm in getting the letter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Paulaew said:

Really sorry to hear about your problem, a mere 22 baht, geez.

Here is my advice to you:

I think it's a very high probability that the immigration officers will detect the shortfall, and they may refuse your extension as a result. If you can give them some Covid-related excuse they might have mercy on you.

Do not offer a bribe to the immigration officer. I say it with some reason, because I use that particular immigration office, and my regular officer contacted me a while back requesting that I be a character witness for him since his senior officer was doing a general review of bribery issues among his staff.

If you can leave the country prior to your extension, it's really not that big of a deal to apply for a new retirement visa when you return, the paperwork is about the same. That would be the safest course of action, but you might get lucky with your current extension.

My recent experience with that office is that there are signs of leniency during the Covid period. In September I was 2 weeks late with a 90 day report and they didn't fine me, much to my surprise.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Paul Laew

I think this is sound advice. And as a bonus it's actually true. I wouldn't normally travel outbound at that time, because of Covid, I'd had flight cancellations and been bumped, I was stressed out and quite literally in the air when this happened. So I'll go with that. I wouldn't have offered a bribe, but sort of poked around a bit. I thought about actually owning up to it straight off, but then thats a very Western thing to do, probably better to let them "catch it" and then beg Covid and ignorance etc. Thanks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Why does the money have to be there all year for retirement extension, but only two months for marriage/family extension?

Strange.

Weird yes. Actually only 400k has to be there all year, 800 has to be there 3months before and after extension. I just leave it there rather than stuff around with it

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

Yes I do have another account, it would have had some money in it I'm sure

Well you had better update the book and get photocopies of it then.

Update it by putting in 100 baht.

Edited by Chris.B

17 minutes ago, Bluetongue said:

I may have to get a statement as the book will update in bulk and will not give the details of the rolling balance

Correct.

A 12 month statement with the bank's stamp on each page. My bank charges 200 baht for that.

Of course, don't show them any of this unless they spot the shortfall!

Edited by Chris.B

35 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I'd be very surprised if denied the extension.  That would have to be one anal IO & Imm office.  Since retirement ext issued on site.

like i said

i am sure they will have a "friend" who they will suggest can help

That way the money is split by everyone  including most importantly  the boss

Edited by poohy

1 hour ago, Digitalbanana said:

Why have a card for an account used for retirement extensions with a balance so close to limit? Just open a second account for immigration only with no card so no annual fees or unexpected deductions all year long?

Yes, good point, originally didn't set the account up for that purpose but I'm going into the bank to cancel the card (and the fee) on that account

2 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Yes, good point, originally didn't set the account up for that purpose but I'm going into the bank to cancel the card (and the fee) on that account

You could tell immigration upfront that you asked the bank to cancel your card, but it appeared that they didn't because you noticed that they still took out their fee of 300 baht on such and such a date and when you realised it, you added 1,000 baht to the account and went into the bank to cancel the card again so that they don't charge you the fee again.

Add to that, that it was totally out of your control, and as they can see the funds where in the account when required except for when the bank took their fee out to leave you 22 baht short of the required 800k baht.

I would be firm, always polite, offer them nothing, and I believe it should be a walk in the park, look nervous and they will go you for some tea money, worse case scenario they refuse you and off you go, then do another when you return.

Not the end of the world and certainly wouldn't be feeding them for the job they are supposed to be doing, otherwise your just encouraging them and making things worse IMO.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2