Pattaya: 100+ foreigners want their money back from Thai bank - "you stole our future" says one

webfact

4 hours ago, Berkshire said:

A little more detail would be helpful.  Did these people voluntarily invest in this scheme?  Or was it done without their knowledge?  If the latter, it's simply fraud and the bank must redeem.  If the former....might be a little more complicated.

not sure, but likely the former... the bank [not Kasi] makes some spoken word promises w/my wife that do not always tell the whole story, which is probably written in in the contract... I remember one gimmick where they guaranteed 50% interest the first year... of course, they were just giving her 1/2 of her money back - she did not fall for that one, but others, surely. 

43 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You're ‘victim blaming’ - this occurred in a Bank.....

If you want the back story you can put a little effort into searching the story (plenty of news on this out there) and then make a comment which doesn’t blame normal people going into a bank and depositing money.

I do not blame anyone....

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Google has it all.

Not exactly... Why were the customers only going to 1 employee?? That is strange.. Besides that 3,5 % interest a month is a bit much( 42% a year)... Why did the manager not question what was going on every last days of the month?? and much much more....What happened with the money? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:
10 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Google has it all.

Not exactly... Why were the customers only going to 1 employee?? That is strange.. Besides that 3,5 % interest a month is a bit much( 42% a year)... Why did the manager not question what was going on every last days of the month?? and much much more....What happened with the money? 

Google will answer all your questions!

I am not aware of the all of the  unfortunate Investors circumstances but if I was one of them I would be happy to get my initial sum back.if any of them already received a monthly dividend common sense should dictate this was part of your own money back? 

Why would they think money plus 7.5%?

If they can tell where 7.5% is safely achieved I want some oh wait a minute perhaps I should not take there advice ???? 

5 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't think it's that complicated. As best I recall the original story, these unfortunate people were persuaded to deposit their funds by a bank employee working in his bank and issuing them with passbooks which were not recorded on the bank's database, and he pocketed the funds himself.

My guess is the bank is trying to say the employee was not acting on behalf of the bank.. 

A Thai caveat if ever there was one.

• Sad 1

I had a similar case some years ago. It was not with a bank but a Thai insurance Co. It was an endowment program over 8 years with NO EXCEPTIONAL high yield: 4.5%/yr. The agent stole all the money, was after 5 years I did find it out and it was already about 1 mil TBH.

The insurance Co did pay me back, without the rente, as they never received the money. I could accept this. I didn't use a lower but negotiate with the Co myself. The fact is: the Co is  the end responsabel of the actions done by they agents.  This is also the low in Thailand.

It is easy to say: FARANGS always loose .... that is NOT CORRECT.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If the interest is low and you want to make more of your money you have to take more risks. I worked a long time in the bank and I know it for years... If it goes wrong there is always a chance that you loose your money more or less, but that is the risk.. Results from the past are not sure in the future..

Perhaps you should research the background to their complaint and the fraud they were subjected to.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Chance said:

Banks in India and Nepal give 10% or more. So not that unrealistic.

Seems to be a lot of stories like this. How can they expect farang to deposit 800k for retirement visa?

This is not India nor Nepal... interest rates have been low for manu years here. 

I would not say a lot of stories, just some. Up to 1mil should be covered under deposit insurance. wrt Retirement Extensions..... in this case, well, looks like the bank isn't accepting responsibility.

2 hours ago, hioctane said:

I don’t understand something. If you deposit or withdraw money from your account, wouldn’t you notice that the your account is not in the system?

I doubt their bankbooks would work in the update machines...... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

this story has changed, originally i recall about 4% a month ponzi going on? now they are asking for 7.5% maybe that's based on their actual deposits plus a greedy rate of 7.5%

Rather optimistic to expect the bank to cover the fraudsters claimed interest rates (or even more)..... be lucky if they get their original deposits back.  

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

Getting money back from a Thai being a foreigner is like getting water out of a stone, but i'm sure that this story has a lot more to it than just handing the money over without any solid guarantee and full documentations to back up their claims, Or did they?...

The Employee worked for, and on behalf of the Bank, and any paperwork at all with the Logo of the Bank upon it means the Bank will be liable, as they would have had full knowledge of the Employees motives ( or they should have )

The Bank in question would be very wise to pay out to the affected people in full.

Long term ramifications for their Business, and indeed that of all Thai Banking Institutions would be serious if they did not.

• Like 1