Israeli who fled hotel quarantine in Bangkok with Omicron faces more police charges after release from hospital

webfact

24 minutes ago, Nickelbeer said:

I am being deadly serious, Judging by your response, we know where YOU stand. Another antisemite.

Ha ha , good try .

Thats what I initially thought though .

Making "anti-Semite " accusations and suggesting this is a case of Jews being prosecuted  , whereas you are just trying to make the suggestion that Jews use their Religion to get special treatment .

Good subversive attempt at  attacking Jews , but no quite subtle enough and was just too obvious  

• Like 2

I think he was not so naive or innocent. Why did he try to book into a Hotel but decline to present a passport which got him a refusal? If the Hotel was doing things correctly his presence would have been reported which would have helped locate him.

Unfortunately his assumption that he would not test positive came back to bite him. It may be sad that it was a false positive but if was a genuine result then he potentially put at risk many people.

4 minutes ago, Nojohndoe said:

I think he was not so naive or innocent. Why did he try to book into a Hotel but decline to present a passport which got him a refusal? If the Hotel was doing things correctly his presence would have been reported which would have helped locate him.

Unfortunately his assumption that he would not test positive came back to bite him. It may be sad that it was a false positive but if was a genuine result then he potentially put at risk many people.

I think what was missing was the Covid clearance document from the hotel. There is no way he left the hotel without his passport. About the reporting thats about lost in translation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Ha ha , good try .

Thats what I initially thought though .

Making "anti-Semite " accusations and suggesting this is a case of Jews being prosecuted  , whereas you are just trying to make the suggestion that Jews use their Religion to get special treatment .

Good subversive attempt at  attacking Jews , but no quite subtle enough and was just too obvious  

Thailand isn't persecuting Jews or even this one Israeli based on his identity. However he is a convenient scapegoat regardless.  Also there have been a number of anti semitic insinuations from some expat posts here over the days of this incident. Unfortunately predictable.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Thailand isn't persecuting Jews or even this one Israeli based on his identity. However he is a convenient scapegoat regardless.  Also there have been a number of anti semitic insinuations from some expat posts here over the days of this incident. Unfortunately predictable.

I think that Nicklebeer was trying to ..............................; Whats that word for it when you pretend to support something but you are just fishing for negative replies about the people who you are pretending to support ,

Like an anti immigrant person saying "All illegal immigrants should be given a free house and 1000 $ a week" , trying to get negative responses .

What is the word for that ? 

41 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think what was missing was the Covid clearance document from the hotel. There is no way he left the hotel without his passport. About the reporting thats about lost in translation.

Exactly  that. I doubt he did not understand the expectations of complying to the process. Hotels do not "hold" a passport but  do request a copy . His 1 night stay would have  been prepaid, he was in possession of his passport, arrogantly decided to simply depart ahead of  notification of test result, got snapped !

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Example: Today, vaccinated. After the nurse injected me she said, OK, finished. 

OK, I can go home !!!!.... 

But really, I know thats not the case, they need to ‘give me a vaccine certificate’ and make me wait for 15 mins under observation.. no one told me that though. 

Only at my first jab I was asked to wait in a waiting area, but I had already been handed the certificate for my second jab. so I could just leave. For the second jab, and the booster jab two days ago, no blood pressure check and no 15 minutes waiting area available, and vaccine certificate is automatic updated in Mor Prom app within 24 hours. If I had a yellow WHO vaccination Passport I could have the booster jab registered in there on the spot by the counter on the exit before leaving, the lady there kindly asked me if I had a yellow certificate to be updated...????

I have no comments about the Israeli guy, I only know the case from the news; however, it might by sensible speculation well be that the quarantine hotel holds passport until the Covid-test result arrives, you are in principle not free before there is a negative test.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I think that Nicklebeer was trying to ..............................; Whats that word for it when you pretend to support something but you are just fishing for negative replies about the people who you are pretending to support ,

Like an anti immigrant person saying "All illegal immigrants should be given a free house and 1000 $ a week" , trying to get negative responses .

I think you might be thinking its gaslighting but it's not that. It's closer to sarcasm.

Sarcasm Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I think you might be thinking its gaslighting but it's not that. It's closer to sarcasm.

Sarcasm Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster

Sarcasm is usually done in a mocking way and usually done as humour .

N.B was pretending  to have a different viewpoint to view a certain group of people in stereotypical way , rather like Russian Communists making radio broadcasts to Americans in an American accent to portray the USA as being the baddies .

Closer to espionage than sarcasm 

2 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Sarcasm is usually done in a mocking way and usually done as humour .

N.B was pretending  to have a different viewpoint to view a certain group of people in stereotypical way , rather like Russian Communists making radio broadcasts to Americans in an American accent to portray the USA as being the baddies .

Closer to espionage than sarcasm 

I get your point. It's not typical sarcasm but I think it's close enough. No biggie. We could see the vile game he was playing. Also it was clearly an attempt at baiting. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

I have no comments about the Israeli guy, I only know the case from the news; however, it might by sensible speculation well be that the quarantine hotel holds passport until the Covid-test result arrives, you are in principle not free before there is a negative test.

Quarantine hotels do not hold your passport.

But as you say... ‘in principle’, actually legally, a person is not free to leave the hotel until they have received a ‘negative’ result from their arrival PCR test. 

I’ve made the same point on the other threads and want to make the same point here:

Accurate communication is not a strong point in Thailand...  It is entirely feasible that a member of hotel staff told the Israeli guy that he was 'free to go after his PCR test’ (when they meant after a negative result of the PCR test).

When applying the idea of ‘miscommunication’ in combination with naivety this may not actually be the crime of the century any more than it is just a dumb mistake. 

what a wonderfull holiday !!

please be reminded that this "israeli man" came to thailand for a HOLIDAY !!

he came here to SPEND HIS MONEY yet is treated like a dangerous criminal

and "desease spreader"  just because, i am sure, some misunderstanding

in his hotel check out !!

from my expereince , thai official and stuff tend to put the blame on the "farang", if

to save face and if to save their jobs.

it happaned to me. i allmost got arrested, threatened with violence and told to SHUT UP

because of a mistake an immigration officer did in the airport !!

it was all her mistake - and anyway i am not a thai immigration expert - yet i had to

get the heat !! what a disgrace !!  this case is now famous all around the world and will

deter even more tourists from ever come to thailand !!

Edited by SCOTT FITZGERSLD
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

what a wonderfull holiday !!

please be reminded that this "israeli man" came to thailand for a HOLIDAY !!

he came here to SPEND HIS MONEY yet is treated like a dangerous criminal

and "desease spreader"  just because, i am sure, some misunderstanding

in his hotel check out !!

from my expereince , thai official and stuff tend to put the blame on the "farang", if

to save face and if to save their jobs.

it happaned to me. i allmost got arrested, threatened with violence and told to SHUT UP

because of a mistake an immigration officer did in the airport !!

it was all her mistake - and anyway i am not a thai immigration expert - yet i had to

get the heat !! what a disgrace !!  this case is not famous all around the world and will

deter even more tourists from ever come to thailand !!

If they actually imprison this guy they will be shooting themselves in the foot, but it wouldn't be the first or last time!

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you actually imprison this guy they will be shooting themselves in the foot, but it wouldn't be the first or last time!

well they allready did much worse than that.

they forced him into few days in field hospital, while he is NEGATIVE for covod !!

by doing so, they acctually risk his life !!

than they told him that his FIRST PCR test came positive, while acctually all thre came NEGATIVE !!

that is psychological turture, just to save the hotel's stuff face / job.

now, they want to charge him with this and that and will propably make him pay\

HUGE fine, while what they have to do is acctually APOLOGISE  to him and release

his to continue his holiday !!

this case IS AND WILL BE famous all over the world, and will cause huge damage to

thailand's reputation and business, just like with that american guy who got arrested

for posting negative review about that stupid hotel in koh chang !!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:
12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you actually imprison this guy they will be shooting themselves in the foot, but it wouldn't be the first or last time!

well they allready did much worse than that.

they forced him into few days in field hospital, while he is NEGATIVE for covod !!

by doing so, they acctually risk his life !!

than they told him that his FIRST PCR test came positive, while acctually all thre came NEGATIVE !!

that is psychological turture, just to save the hotel's stuff face / job.

now, they want to charge him with this and that and will propably make him pay\

HUGE fine, while what they have to do is acctually APOLOGISE  to him and release

his to continue his holiday !!

this case IS AND WILL BE famous all over the world, and will cause huge damage to

thailand's reputation and business, just like with that american guy who got arrested

for posting negative review about that stupid hotel in koh chang !!

I think there needs to be come clarity regarding whether or not he did ‘deliberately escape’ or if he simply ‘misunderstood’ and believed he could leave the hotel.

Any response is surely reliant on the initial intent of leaving the Test & Go hotel, especially in light of the news that some hotels have been telling Test & Go guests that they can leave before their test results are issued. 

37 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Non quarantine many-star hotels in Bangkok holds my passport to copy it, and do TM30 registration, where eventual visa, entry stamp and TM6 is needed, I can pick it up later. Why would Quarantine hotels be different?

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(I’m not defending the guy - but there is a lot of inconsistency and a lot of the story seems emotional and click-baity’ rather than factual)

It's not mentioned that he ‘left without his passport’ (where did he leave it ?).

It has been reported that he tried to check in to a hotel in Pattaya ‘without his passport’ - which is different from leaving without it. 

Again, not defending the guy, but in the past in my younger (cheaper days) hotels have asked to ‘keep my passport’ - I’ve always refused.  Of course. this may not be the case in this story.

Depending on the 'Lens of judgement’  we view this story through there is scope for out right criminals behaviour or an extremely naive mistake...  

Im this story it doesn’t take much to turn a silly but innocent mistake into crime of the century....  

CCTV from the hotel he left would shine light on his behaviour. 

Was he in Quarantine for 24+ hrs (as the BKK post reported)

What is his side of the story ? (did someone at the hotel tell him he could leave, and they then back peddled and lied later?)... 

Again... not trying to defend the guy - but someone is about to be hung drawn and quartered, by both social media, most on this forum and the Thai legal system and it may be down to simple miss-communication. 

--------

But really, I know thats not the case, they need to ‘give me a vaccine certificate’ and make me wait for 15 mins under observation.. no one told me that though. 

Thai’s are very vague and imprecise with their communication...  how many times have we asked for something and been told ‘please wait’...  well, wait how long, 2 mins, 30 mins, 2 hours etc...  

The guy was either extremely naive or deliberately broke his quarantine agreement....  reading all the various news articles and stories on this has not convinced me that this is more than just naive stupidity. 

It would be good to hear the Israeli tourists side of the story. 

Wrong. You are not required  to get a vaccine  certificate. You have to request  one. Yes 30 minutes observation  and rest  period  is recommended but not mandatory.  Yes you can go now!

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Non quarantine many-star hotels in Bangkok holds my passport to copy it, and do TM30 registration, where eventual visa, entry stamp and TM6 is needed, I can pick it up later.

‘many star’ ???  ....  back packers lodges that keep your passport as a security deposit are not ’star classified’ !!! ????

The vast majority of hotel will take a copy of your passport there and then unless they are cheap dodgy hotels that don't have a photocopier immediately on hand. 

Why would Quarantine hotels be different?

They’re not - they don’t ‘keep your passport’....

AQ hotels don’t hold your passport. Sandbox SHA+ hotels don’t hold your passport. Test & Go hotels don’t hold your passport. I’ve quarantined in all types over the past 15 months. 

No hotel I’ve ever stayed in in Thailand holds on to my passport - they copy it and return it immediately. 

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:
7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Again... not trying to defend the guy - but someone is about to be hung drawn and quartered, by both social media, most on this forum and the Thai legal system and it may be down to simple miss-communication. 

--------

Thai’s are very vague and imprecise with their communication...  how many times have we asked for something and been told ‘please wait’...  well, wait how long, 2 mins, 30 mins, 2 hours etc...  

The guy was either extremely naive or deliberately broke his quarantine agreement....  reading all the various news articles and stories on this has not convinced me that this is more than just naive stupidity. 

It would be good to hear the Israeli tourists side of the story. 

Wrong. You are not required  to get a vaccine  certificate. You have to request  one. Yes 30 minutes observation  and rest  period  is recommended but not mandatory.  Yes you can go now!

Fair enough - not ‘required to get a vaccine certificate and theoretically we could just ‘walk out’...  

But thats not the advice, and ‘you can go now’ highlights the miss-communication, what the nurse meant was ‘you can go to the observation area’.... 

(at MedPark hospital paper vaccine certs are issued automatically by the way after the 20 min observation period).

In arguing the semantics you have missed the point I was making about miscommunication and how easily it happens. 

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘many star’ ???  ....  back packers lodges that keep your passport as a security deposit are not ’star classified’ !!! ????

I've only once stayed in a backpacker hotel one night in Bangkok in 2001 when travelling with some friends on backpacker budget, the hotel didn't care about a passport...????
Most of my other Bangkok stays have been in suites, where I don't need to wait by the reception, that's called service...???? -but you might not know about that...????

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

I've only once stayed in a backpacker hotel one night in Bangkok in 2001 when travelling with some friends on backpacker budget, the hotel didn't care about a passport...????
Most of my other Bangkok stays have been in suites, where I don't need to wait by the reception, that's called service...???? -but you might not know about that...????

I'm surprised a high flyer even has to submit their passport at all..... Surely they know who you are !! ????

22 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Israelis tend to speak perfect English , so much better than Westerners speaking Thai...............and Thais speaking English 

I beg to differ and I'm Israeli. Majority of Israelis speak broken English. Not perfect at all.

This tourist left before getting his results. He is the one who caused this whole mess.

Why is anybody trying to defend him. He made his choice to leave, he could have

been a Typhoid Mary, and spread the COVID far and wide. 

IF he gets charged and has to do jail time and then face deportation, well

none of this would have happened if he followed the rules.  Enough said.

I agree he is an idiot, for his actions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be interesting to hear his side of the story. Did he do a runner out of fear that the positive result had been fake? He has tested negative 3 times since. If that were case, who would be willing to take a chance to come to Thailand if you could not trust the process? I would love to know the full story on this one, but doubt we will ever hear it.

14 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Smolleting.  It's in Urban Dictionary now.