Grim worst case for Thailand next year if people lower their guard against COVID-19

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Thailand will have to do what Australia and other countries are now doing - it will have to realise that only hospitalisations matter, infections don't. Omicron, in particular, is extremely contagious (lots of infections) but leads to far fewer hospitalisations than previous strains, as studies in African countries (where it originated) have shown. 

Whilst there is a rump of vested interests who hate to see the back of covid, or any other upheaval for that matter, common sense is starting to prevail. 

I was talking to a friend from south Africa last evening,he was saying the same thing.

A lot of new infections but very few people needing medical support.

Of course the population is not the same as Thailand but i am hoping it will turn out the same here.

I have been saying this whenever the pandemic started,"Sooner or later we will all get infected"

Vaccinations will have to protect us from severe illness and to the anti vaxers i can only say one thing,the numbers are not lying.Most severe cases and most deaths are now with those who are not vaccinated.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, koratkarlos said:

From my reading today it appears that 1) Sinovac offers no protection from Omicron (a limited sample study out of Hong Kong) and 2) the hospitalization rates for unvaccinated people are 11% lower for Omicron compared to Delta (data from England).  If these observations are true cases and hospitalizations should reach prior peak levels.  My guess is by late February.  But will they report it.  And will the country lock down again.  Uncertain times ahead for sure.

Wrong.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

Why do they not think they will get 50,000 to 100,000 cases per day like everywhere else?

I see no reason why this level can't happen by mid January but I see plenty of reasons why this level will never be detected.

I also don't understand why they think the Omicron wave will wait until March to strike, taking into account that they already found 200 cases in Kalasin.

Natural immunity just let it happen big pharma and Governments are the virus enough of this madness, the science is the size of covid particles and the size of the holes in a mask are big enough to drive a truck through, 2 years this has been going on, lockdowns, mandates, forced vaccination, travel bans etc have done nothing, business closures, bankruptcy, suicide, depression not seen family friends loved ones for 2 years, the constant lies and back tracking get 2 shots they said get your freedom they said now get your booster shot, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30,000 a day who are they kidding? What makes Thailand so different from the rest of the world? Omicron is rife in Europe, USA, China etc etc with thousands of flights cancelled. 

Oh yes I just realised what makes thailand different DONT TEST = NO COVID

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, candide said:

I also don't understand why they think the Omicron wave will wait until March to strike, taking into account that they already found 200 cases in Kalasin.

By February it should be on the downside if it gets a foothold here soon

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

The only reason it will get this bad is if there are large sections of the public that remain unvaccinated. Vaccines are the answer, no matter what all the loonies keep telling you

?  Vaccines don't prevent Covid, that is all over the news and internet. They, all them loonies? It appears as if you are saying vacination prevents Covid; it does not prevent Covid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Heavens, all this doom and gloom mongering. It's deaths and hospitalisations that matter. UK is currently about 80% less full in the hospitals, death are fallings. Time to get on with life now. It will not get much better for years if you do not start living with it and keep shutting down the planet 

You are spreading fake news and some believe you. Public health england covid publishes daily charts. 

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Heavens, all this doom and gloom mongering. It's deaths and hospitalisations that matter. UK is currently about 80% less full in the hospitals, death are fallings. Time to get on with life now. It will not get much better for years if you do not start living with it and keep shutting down the planet 

You are spreading fake news and some believe you. Public health england covid publishes daily charts. 

• Confused 2

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

By February it should be on the downside if it gets a foothold here soon

Hope you're right, I think so too if it goes as it did in South Africa. If they try to hold it back by strict restrictions it will take longer though

• Like 1

Official numbers will be max 30k and real numbers will be much higher. We will all get infected. Many of us properly already have been infected with other variants.

Let’s face it. Thailand is not really in front when it comes to testing. Good thing about low test-rates is that you get few cases compared to other countries and can claim to be handling the situation well.

• Like 1

Omicron requires a change of perspective where the focus changes from number of cases per day to the number of hospitalizations.  Vaccination still appears to be the answer, as it protects against severe illness, which is less likely with this variant.

The biggest problems are speed and rate of transmission.  I suppose this can be mitigated by social distancing to some extent, but the effect will be minimal imo, unless Thailand opts for a Chinese style lockdown, which is arguably absurd because omicron is less dangerous, and may actually offer the opportunity to gain natural population immunity.

Beyond what is already being done, I don't think mitigation of spread is possible without severe effects on the economy again.

• Like 2