Danish family placed in isolation in Thailand after daughter test positive for Covid-19

webfact

40 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Quarantine is a small risk - the stats prove that.

A risk nonetheless, and your post is valid in that an informed decision is required from those choosing to travel at this time.

My daughter and her partner just traveled from the UK; my biggest concern was a positive test on arrival (or a close contact). They are staying 3 months so it would not have been the end of the world. Their biggest concern was a positive test in the UK that prevented them traveling. All these risks were taken into account before traveling.

I still admire the German? lady who was quarantined in the Phuket Sandox scheme as a close contact of someone who tested +ve. She didn't whinge or whine like a baby, she was very philosophical and accepted that it was only 2 weeks out of her long stay plans.

A 3 week holiday?  That is a different story and UK friends have cancelled their 2 week holiday in Khao Lak.

Understand the risks; understand exactly what will happen if a positive test is returned. 

Right now with omicron its a bigger risk then before. But just dont want my parents end up in quarantine.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 86Tiger said:

Yes, it is crazy to travel for leisure in these times.  And everyone should educate themselves and be prepared for the consequences.

Agreed... Unfortunately the consequences are not ‘clearly outlined’ and there is no ‘general’ policy on the response to positive cases which seem to be addressed on a ‘case by case basis’.

Additionally, domestic cases seem to dealt with differently than ‘arriving Test & Go’ or Sandbox cases.

But I think the most important take aways 2 years into this :

Thailand is still putting not sick people in hospital.  There is no other country in the world doing this.  Heck, in US you go to hospital sick, test positive for COVID they send you home and say come back if you can't breathe.

Arrival ‘positive' cases (Test & Go / Sandbox) seem to be treated more severely and may be forced to isolate in a Hospitel or Hospital depending on symptoms. 

However, domestic (i.e. those living here) ‘asymptomatic cases’ to are not automatically sent to quarantine in hospital (i.e. at great expense to a foreigner or their insurance). 

In the event of a Positive PCR test, people are ‘asked’ to come to hospital and placed under observation for a couple of days. If they remain asymptomatic they are permitted to go home and isolate there. 

The ‘patient’ is given the option to remain in hospital if they wish. 

Note: This may vary from hospital to hospital and province to province.

However, I know a handful of people (both Thai and foreign) and they have not been forced into hospital for a two week isolation or until testing PCR negative, they’ve been permitted to go home after 2/3 days and isolate there.

And Thailand is only country separating families when there is a positive test.  I had my family with me out of Thailand for my work.  Contract is ending and had to return them to Thailand. My biggest fear was being forcibly separated at some point.  Very luckily it didn't happen but it was a definite risk.

Families are not separated at all. There are no reports or evidence of this. 

If one member of the family (a child or adult) tests positive, all are requested to  isolate together. 

Anyone that travels for leisure with family to Thailand is stupid not very smart and asking for problems.

7 hours ago, Oracle2022 said:

Anyone travelling to Thailand now should plan to do full quarantine.

Omicron is spreading there is a very high chance in January you will get infected during days 1 to 6 in Thailand as Omicron spreads.......trouble is you have to have a PCR on day 6 and so....you cannot ignore it, you will end up with 10 days in isolation from day 6.

Madness for anyone to travel into Thailand January/February unless you really have to - and you are prepared for a full quarantine/isolation stay.

Omicron is like a highly infectious cold but with a PCR test on day 6 - all arrivals are going to run then risk of all being positive by day 6 though local infection.  

I think the incubation period for Omicron is 2 days. Once diagnosed it should clear the body 4-5 days later, with a healthy immune system, plus recent vaccinations, and will only manifest mild 'flu like symptoms.

Edited by samtam

1 hour ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thus young lady has covid and is being taken care off. If she becomes ill and the disease attacks her lungs or she needs an ICU sh is in a good place. What do people suggest  the Thai medical  authorities  should do?

I'd let her stay in her hotel room.

Most civilised countries just ask infected people that can still breath (almost everyone infected) to stay home.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, BusyB said:

I wonder who's paying for it? How's their insurance responded to being hospitalized with no symptoms?

Until that kind of thing is clarified, my trip (long-stay) is on hold ...

ASQ's one thing, as is sandbox, but 10 days in Bangkok hospital is out of the question.

Don't give those Thais any ideas, as soon foreign insurances refuse they might intubate us and kill us on the IC lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cherrytreeview said:

The only forkin idiots are people who unnecessarily travel globally when you have a virus that spreads as quickly as measles.

Get back in your bunker then......... it is flu season

You are clearly not capable of taking the "living with Covid" approach then.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... Unfortunately the consequences are not ‘clearly outlined’ and there is no ‘general’ policy on the response to positive cases which seem to be addressed on a ‘case by case basis’.

Additionally, domestic cases seem to dealt with differently than ‘arriving Test & Go’ or Sandbox cases.

Arrival ‘positive' cases (Test & Go / Sandbox) seem to be treated more severely and may be forced to isolate in a Hospitel or Hospital depending on symptoms. 

However, domestic (i.e. those living here) ‘asymptomatic cases’ to are not automatically sent to quarantine in hospital (i.e. at great expense to a foreigner or their insurance). 

In the event of a Positive PCR test, people are ‘asked’ to come to hospital and placed under observation for a couple of days. If they remain asymptomatic they are permitted to go home and isolate there. 

The ‘patient’ is given the option to remain in hospital if they wish. 

Note: This may vary from hospital to hospital and province to province.

However, I know a handful of people (both Thai and foreign) and they have not been forced into hospital for a two week isolation or until testing PCR negative, they’ve been permitted to go home after 2/3 days and isolate there.

Families are not separated at all. There are no reports or evidence of this. 

If one member of the family (a child or adult) tests positive, all are requested to  isolate together. 

Dude!

The entire article and subsequent discussion is about travelers entering Thailand from abroad and the separation of a family for an asymptomatic positive test.

There is and has been no discussion of current domestic policy. 

However, the first 1 year {and maybe 1 1/2 year of this thing, I would have to look back to confirm exactly how long} Thailand was absolutely forcing every positive test into a hospital and separating families.  The only country in the world to do so.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Should have stayed home... but you know, some people need to learn the hard way.

Hope they enjoy quarantine followed by the trip home.

Or maybe they should have booked tickets to a country that does not require test on arrival.

When you choose Thailand that requires test on arrival you also have a higher risk ending up isolated.

The family did everything they could to arrive in Thailand without being infected.

All vaccinated.

They even had 6 PCR tests done in total before their flight because the results from their first 3 were delayed and they bought 3 extra tests.

Not many has 2 negative PCR tests each before flying....

Not feeling sorry for them, because they knew there would be a risk when they had to take a test on arrival, but i still think it's totally overkill to place people in the hospital when they have no need for treatment and 2 of them were negative and still were after being relocated.

A quarantine hotel from the start could have done the trick.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Get back in your bunker then......... it is flu season

You are clearly not capable of taking the "living with Covid" approach then.

And you are clearly not bright enough to call a virus that has killed over 5 million worldwide and left dear knows how many with long covid, the "flu".

Doubt Thailand would be reinstating 7 day quarantine for the "flu".

Keep living in a daydream, no global governments are buying your "flu" deflection.

32 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Any sensible family would not travel under the current rules and consequences of a asymptomatic (false) positive test. If you travel alone you could take the risk but with a family it is everyone affected and 3-4-5x the chance one of them hits it. 

The need to travel is relative. A few months ago we took the opportunity in the ‘epidemic down turn’ and  travelled home to see my father and for my son to spend some time with his grandfather whom he handn’t seen for two years. we knew the risks and figured spending ‘valuable family time’ together is an important memory. We were going to travel again at Christmas but decided there was too much risk by that time. 

Note: Any positive RT-PCR is followed up with a second test to confirm the absence of a false positive. 

IF we test positive twice - fair enough, we’d have to quarantine - those risks we all know. 

Interesting thing too is that all of those people are in fact double vaccinated while in western countries they still claim it only and mostly comes from unvaccinated people.

Flawed logic - IF 100% of the people were vaccinated, 100% of the Covid-19 cases would be breakthrough cases - We all know that the vaccines do not offer 100% protection. When a far higher proportion of a population if vaccinated it makes perfect sense that there will be a greater number of breakthrough cases. 

While there is almost no tourists etc returning I met at least 5 already in the few times I went out, who got positive after vaccinated 1-2 times. 

You seem to expect vaccination to proved 100% protection which is of course not true. But fewer people will contract Covid-19 if vaccinated than if not, regardless of whether or not you have spoke to 5 individuals who caught Covid-19....  You could follow that up by speaking with 50 tourist who did not catch Covid-19 !!!! 

So what is left of claiming we have to get the shots to protect others, clearly that is nonsense.

Again, flawed logic as you are looking at this from an individual perspective. 

If there are 100,000 unvaccinated people exposed to SARS-CoV-2 far more of them would contract and spread Covid-19 than if there are 100,000 vaccinated people. 

In aggregate vaccinations are more effective at offering increased protection to society than no vaccinations. 

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Virt said:

Not feeling sorry for them, because they knew there would be a risk when they had to take a test on arrival, but i still think it's totally overkill to place people in the hospital when they have no need for treatment and 2 of them were negative and still were after being relocated.

Thailand still needs to make some revenue somewhere.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thailand still needs to make some revenue somewhere.

Maybe if Thailand introduced the same 4 levels as Tenerife has, they too could have a tourism industry during this pandemic?

https://www.whatsontenerife.com/covid/visiting-tenerife/what-are-the-current-covid-regulations-in-tenerife/

There are a lot of tourist down here on tenerife at the moment where I'm at, so it's not like Omicron has stopped tourism all over the planet.

16 minutes ago, Virt said:

Maybe if Thailand introduced the same 4 levels as Tenerife has, they too could have a tourism industry during this pandemic?

https://www.whatsontenerife.com/covid/visiting-tenerife/what-are-the-current-covid-regulations-in-tenerife/

There are a lot of tourist down here on tenerife at the moment where I'm at, so it's not like Omicron has stopped tourism all over the planet.

The Spanish Government in Tenerife like dancing even less than the Thai’s Government likes alcohol !!!!  ????

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'd let her stay in her hotel room.

Most civilised countries just ask infected people that can still breath (almost everyone infected) to stay home.

Yes but people don't obey sometimes and just wander around

Anyway hotels  are not designed  for holding sick infectious  people. It's a risk for other guests and not fair to them.

The thing is people talk about '10 day' but when people get  sick they can be ill for weeks. Covid is debilitating for some people.

If I pay for a hotel I don't want a family of infected, entitled farangs  in my corridor,  no doubt ignoring the polite staff and their requests to isolate.  At least this Danish  family are in a hospital  not a grim secure military  holding hospital.  They are lucky to get decent,  civilised caring, medical care and attention. They should he thankful and grateful and cooperative.

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes but people don't obey sometimes and just wander around

Anyway hotels  are not designed  for holding sick infectious  people. It's a risk for other guests and not fair to them.

The thing is people talk about '10 day' but when people get  sick they can be ill for weeks. Covid is debilitating for some people.

If I pay for a hotel I don't want a family of infected, entitled farangs  in my corridor,  no doubt ignoring the polite staff and their requests to isolate.  At least this Danish  family are in a hospital  not a grim secure military  holding hospital.  They are lucky to get decent,  civilised caring, medical care and attention. They should he thankful and grateful and cooperative.

All the staff are probably infected wherever you go.

A few infected foreigners are hardly going to increase your risk.

At least the 'holding hospital' is free, I'd prefer that to a 200,000bht bill.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The need to travel is relative. A few months ago we took the opportunity in the ‘epidemic down turn’ and  travelled home to see my father and for my son to spend some time with his grandfather whom he handn’t seen for two years. we knew the risks and figured spending ‘valuable family time’ together is an important memory. We were going to travel again at Christmas but decided there was too much risk by that time. 

Note: Any positive RT-PCR is followed up with a second test to confirm the absence of a false positive. 

IF we test positive twice - fair enough, we’d have to quarantine - those risks we all know. 

Flawed logic - IF 100% of the people were vaccinated, 100% of the Covid-19 cases would be breakthrough cases - We all know that the vaccines do not offer 100% protection. When a far higher proportion of a population if vaccinated it makes perfect sense that there will be a greater number of breakthrough cases. 

You seem to expect vaccination to proved 100% protection which is of course not true. But fewer people will contract Covid-19 if vaccinated than if not, regardless of whether or not you have spoke to 5 individuals who caught Covid-19....  You could follow that up by speaking with 50 tourist who did not catch Covid-19 !!!! 

Again, flawed logic as you are looking at this from an individual perspective. 

If there are 100,000 unvaccinated people exposed to SARS-CoV-2 far more of them would contract and spread Covid-19 than if there are 100,000 vaccinated people. 

In aggregate vaccinations are more effective at offering increased protection to society than no vaccinations. 

It's pitiful  that your logical,  correct statement  has to be made. But these FB and YT medical rebels who think they are clever are beyond reach of reason.