Looking for some Grocery options.

earthscar

17 minutes ago, Klonko said:

I had a sous vide with (important) vacuumizer back in Europe and I loved it. However, I consider low temperature cooking in the oven (with built in temperature probe) to be as tasty. Or simmering meat in a heavy pot for 2 hours.

I hear you, i'm just starting to understand how useful a dutch oven is for keeping a consistent temperature. still grinding my way thru cooking skills as before march this year i spent 14hrs of my day in work stuff so my meals where largely whatever restaurant was closest. 

1 minute ago, LarryLEB said:

For a meat thermometer, I bought one recently at the very good kitchen supply store on Pattaya Second Road:  T K H Kitchen Utensils.  It's across the street from Pattaya Soi 13/3.

image.png.5b116731f97ed3994ecb4a3154e292f1.png

I will go check that out today. still some kitchen piece i'm looking for. thanks for the heads up. Maybe they have a better scale. the electronic one i picked up over by South Big C from brand name Kasa is garbage. just turning it on you can see the weight indicator going up even w/o anything placed on it. resetting it via tear or turning it off doesn't fix it. I got pushback from the store when i tried to exchange it so I can't see buying another there even if they had a brand other then Kasa.

3 minutes ago, earthscar said:

I will go check that out today. still some kitchen piece i'm looking for. thanks for the heads up. Maybe they have a better scale. the electronic one i picked up over by South Big C from brand name Kasa is garbage. just turning it on you can see the weight indicator going up even w/o anything placed on it. resetting it via tear or turning it off doesn't fix it. I got pushback from the store when i tried to exchange it so I can't see buying another there even if they had a brand other then Kasa.

Good luck. I recently bought a new scale from Lazada. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2941596855-s10793854577.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bang saen guy said:

Good luck. I recently bought a new scale from Lazada. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i2941596855-s10793854577.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1

Yea, y'all need to chose wisely.  Kid bought me a really nice scale, for small weights, and worked great, until it didn't.   Same with thermometers, I think I'm on my 5th one, and the best so far.  

Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes not.

I got this one recently, cost more than the 27 baht scale the daughter got me ... ????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1683364469-s4732244903.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

OP Lower your expectations & you won't be disappointed ????

That goes for everything & anything in the 3rd world. 

Better when the surprises happen, than constant disappointments ????

I will save you LOADS of time......

For cheese #1 choice Siamburies  you can take a Bolt taxi there...

For meat #1 Makro  #2 Friendship.....Forget Big C extra .....Now overpriced..

For Bulk #1 Makro

For Average things... Big C extra

For slightly unusual things.... Friendship....

For really unusual things....Lazada or Shopee...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, earthscar said:

yes, the closest i have found is a oven thermometer. As i'm new to cooking i still like to use a meat prob to verify if i have cooked the chicken/steak/etc to the correct internal temperature. 

Check out Friendship. If they haven't got one upstairs they should have at their "pro" store across the carpark.

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Mainland Vintage cheddar 500gm, 265bht in Makro.

Not that expensive IMHO.

And if you're in Pattaya .....

https://www.facebook.com/jomtienexpatfoods/

That same cheese is 235 baht in food mart... Was 215 baht until recently. 

The prices are rigged in Pattaya, no competition in the supermarket.. Most of the stuff is priced the same, or very close to 7-11 prices.. The bakery prices in Big C increase very regularly, big increases, not just 2 baht.. 

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I've not ever seen 500gm packs (265bht) anywhere but Makro.

Are you sure you aren't looking at the more commonly available 250gm packages @235/215bht?

I've just double checked in my frig, twice... It's definitely 500g

I've also bought the same at one of the expat shops, can't remember where and the price..foodmart, next to Jomtien bus stop.. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Villa Market has many hard or impossible to find products (I've found refried beans only there) but I'd NEVER recommend produce. The sticker shock would put you in the hospital.

A couple of months ago I bought some vacuum packed brussels sprouts at Villa, 18 largeish sprouts per pack. They were 150 Baht, a bit pricey but what the hell. 2 weeks before Christmas price had gone up to 600 Baht, 1 week before Christmas 750 Baht. 18 sprouts for 750 Baht is 95 English pence per sprout.

Pass those smelling salts to me, please.

Edited by champers
  • Like 1