39 people die, 362 injured in road accidents on first day of holiday travel

snoop1130

The following has a smidgeon of sarcasm.  I think the reason for perhaps fewer deaths than ‘normal’ at this time of year is because maybe, just maybe, many potential fatalities are avoided by that many riders and drivers sitting in tents at the side of the road, playing with their phones.  So it follows that the answer to the horrendous road carnage problem is to invest in thousands more tents, thus adjusting the ratio.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

I have 2 motorcycles and a old car that I use for shopping. When you are over 70 the increased risk doesn't come into play, only the enjoyment you get from riding.

At 70 The enjoyment of riding has gone for me it's just to fracking dangerous with these nutters on the road, even driving, these nutters scare the sh!t out of me with their crazy sudden manoeuvres with no indication.

1 hour ago, fittobethaied said:

He wasn't in a hurry. It was all about "face". He is a superior Thai, and you are just a lowly dirty farang and have no business driving in his country! Whatever happened is your fault!!!

but forang CAN DRIVE  whereas Thai's can not 

Strange, it must be that time of year, I just returned from shopping in the market town 17 km from us and literally everybody was speeding, I was driving at 110 kmh which is of course speeding but I was being overtaken by cars doing around 160 (major road) which is unusual, normally cars are driven at around 80 kmh on this road.

Yes it is a tragedy that every year thousands of  people die on the roads  and the police and the government do very little but to be  perfectly honest  I would not want it to change look what is going on in the UK ,Australia and the US with the police and government     CONTROL THE PEOPLE !   here is much softer less intrusion in our lives.  That's just my opinion  what do you think? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

So really is should be "the seven slightly less dangerous than normal days."

Anutin will claim all the deaths were caused by Falangs not showering or them visiting Gogo bars not run by his mates … We know this because he is now in full control of Omnicron 5555555

First, the OFFICIAL number of death's and injured people is much higher than 39.
The forgot as always to count the people that died on the way to the hospital or died a few days later due to the injuries from the accident.

Second (and also an answer to a poster in this thread), MOST of the people who get injured or die in a road accident are the innocent ones.
The 2 students in a Honda Jazz who were rammed by a speeding Mercedes and went up in flames; The passengers of a minibus which was rammed by the underaged daughter of a moviestar in a Honda while racing on the highway; The innocent people waiting at a bus station and were washed away by the son of a moviestar without brains; Etc.
And NONE of them were punished as it should be because they were the son's/daughter's of a HISO Thai or a wealthy businnesman.

Third, despite of the many departments setup to tackle the road accidents and make the roads safe for everybody, the numbers are every year the same and mostly increasing.

What is the cause of these high numbers?

1. DISRESPECT FOR THE LAW

Thailand might think of anything to prevent the high casualties, as long as the people on the road (Thais + foreigners) don't give a flying f??k for the law nothing will change.
And YES, for some unknown reason, foreigners who follow strictly the traffic laws in their country seems to forget these laws when arriving in Thailand.
The "When in Rome, do as the Romans" Syndrome.
2. DISRESPECT FOR THE OTHERE ROAD USERS
   Thais + foreigners need to learn to show respect for the other road users the hard way.
   High fines should be handed over if showing disrespect.
   Camera's and speed detectors are very cheap and reliable nowadays and mostly are already fitted at crossings or dangerous places.
Main problem is to keep them working (mostly disabled by a policeman to earn some extra cash) or to cash the fines.

3. LAZINESS

I agree that most students/people in remote areas don't have adequate transport to go to the school or to the market.
Although, these remote places tend to get scarser.
But that is still no reason to let a 12 years old boy/girl drive on a motorbike to the school (mostly shared with several other passengers) and without decent wear (helmet).
Also, many people drive with material which is NOT ROAD WORTHY (specially the trucks with failing brakes and the cars/motorbikes without tail lights) and don't bother to keep the road worthy.
4. EDUCATION
People who want to get a driver license should go trough a stringent education before hitting the roads.
Not driving 1 time round the block.

And this all that can be done by the leaders is report the after math year in year out! 

No Thai is going to come up with anything to reduce the problem one must know as to the meaning as to why a particularly rule was created and the proper way to execute. Driving is simple not just pedal to the metal you want help drop me a note the largest request I have is full and total control anyone stands in my way is removed and that means anyone!  Second, there is a price for my service but a drop in the bucket compare to the billions being spent now! 

5 hours ago, tonysilly said:

I will take my chances with Covid.  It's safer then driving on the Thai Roads!! 

With respect, I beg to differ. When I lived in Lanna and Isaan in North Thailand for almost 20 years, I drove many thousands of miles across the North on journeys from the Burmese border to the Lao border, Khon Kaen to/from Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai in particular. I also drove south to Kanchanaburi and to the Cambodian border at Poipet. During all of this time, I was never involved in an accident on Thai roads. Yes, I witnessed many but of no concern to me. Part of that time I was a Volunteer with the Tourist Police and had "stickers" on my pick-up so these may have helped. Covid-19/omicron is more of a concern to me.

6 hours ago, tonysilly said:

Good job Thailand.  Your country is still #1 on driving like a bunch of blind monkies!!  I will take my chances with Covid.  It's safer then driving on the Thai Roads!! 

You can't fix stupid!

I see it every single day on the roads and highways; blind monkey mania and madness.

I often wonder why are so many Thai drivers so absolutely brain-dead.

1 hour ago, akampa said:

Yes it is a tragedy that every year thousands of  people die on the roads  and the police and the government do very little but to be  perfectly honest  I would not want it to change look what is going on in the UK ,Australia and the US with the police and government     CONTROL THE PEOPLE !   here is much softer less intrusion in our lives.  That's just my opinion  what do you think? 

100% mate. I have driven 1000's of km all over Thailand myself. I dont have to keep looking at my speedo making sure i am traveling at the right speed or I forget to turn on my indicator etc... All one has to do is focus on driving to the conditions of the road and using common sense. Here in Australia Im just plain sick of it not only putting up with police and all the rules but driving with people in lala land as well. 

Edited by Pabs
typo

Now if you need to visit Thailand you must have a safe driving passport, a doctors medical that you have eyes in the back of your head and covid insurance to make sure your logged as the correct type of misadventure.

Hey ! happy happy to you, happy happy, happy happy, happy new year to you, my wife dink one mouthful of John walker and Dunk.

On 12/30/2021 at 9:11 PM, bkk6060 said:

I am looking at buying a car at least it appears to be some added protection..  I really like M/B riding but it just seems increased risk here.

I love to ride too but except for a very short ride to the beach a few kms along the very quiet road from the house (always very slowly and with extreme caution). Roads been all but deserted since 'the situation'. But once mass tourism begins again I'll only be using either the car or the truck to hit the beach.

Had 2 falls; missed collision (had to thrown the bike down or hit head-on a truck that pulled out straight in front of me in Cherng Talay, and a diesoline spill on the road in 2020 in Surin ... that was enough for me.

I did consider buying a Aprilla or the BMW 3 wheel beastie and still might. as it's all but impossible to drop them - doesn't protect from being hit though.