Thailand’s New Year road carnage claims 85 deaths and injures 786 in 2 days

webfact

mqdefault.jpg

Forty-four people died and 426 others were injured in 422 road accidents across the country on the second day of the long New Year long holidays.

Total casualties for Wednesday and Thursday include 85 deaths and 786 injured, according to the Department of Disasters Prevention and Mitigation.

Speeding and drunk driving were the two main causes of accidents, accounting for 33.20% and 29.6% respectively. Motorcycles accounted for 82.7% of the accidents. 81.80% occurred on straight roads, 43.1% occurred on highways and 32.9% on secondary roads in villages. Most accidents took place between 6pm and 9pm.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-new-year-road-carnage-claims-85-deaths-and-injures-786-in-2-days/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Speeding and drunk driving were the two main causes of accidents, accounting for 33.20% and 29.6% respectively.

I guess some people didn't listen to the transport ministers request.

Maybe next year they'll come up with a policy which will MAKE people listen.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Speeding and drunk driving were the two main causes of accidents, accounting for 33.20% and 29.6% respectively

So what was the cause of the other 37.2% ?

And surely the drink driving leads to the speeding.

• Like 1

I had an interesting and eye-opening experience the other day after I overtook a Honda on a quiet road in Chonburi. 

The inadequate male driver was so hurt by this he followed me until I stopped, then began to chastise me from inside his vehicle for overtaking him, accusing me of "driving too fast" and "driving danger", even though he attempted to speed up to stop me overtaking as many of them do.

The reason I highlight this anecdotal incident is that for many, their ego will not allow them to be safe and careful drivers, and any loss of face will cause them to lose control of their emotions, act irrationally and drive dangerously.

• Like 2

I'm surprised it wasn't more based on my short drive on Phet Kasem yesterday. It felt a lot darker than normal with the streetlights and headlights not helping visibility at all. I think this made some drive with full beam on making it even more difficult to see anything. Bikes were so hard to spot, mostly going very slowly as were random cycles. 

Thai people it seems, are on a endless quest to kill themselves on the road as Thailand's roads are the deadliest in Southeast Asia and among the worst in the world, according to the World Health Organisation. About 20,000 people die in road accidents each year, or about 56 deaths a day. Despite a myriad of government measures to reduce road casualties, they show no sign of abating... and like the Sargent in Hill St. blues used to say: be careful out there...

Edited by ezzra

19 hours ago, Derek B said:

Any mention of Pot Holes being the root cause of any of the accidents.

Absolutely. So many times have motorbikes and even cars abruptly swerved in front of me to avoid potholes. One of my biggest fears rarely mentioned is motorbikes without lights. Mainly rear but often front. Police seem to think this is not important. Strikes fear when an overtaking one approaches. Even have seen one or two with red headlight. Crazy.risks.

20 hours ago, Derek B said:

Any mention of Pot Holes being the root cause of any of the accidents.

Yes, especially on roads in and around villages, especially where motorbikes are concerned, which are also full of underaged and unlicensed drivers and riders.

19 hours ago, it is what it is said:

or simply deciding to drive/ride on the wrong side of the road

In my village/small town, the carriageway passing through it was divided in the centre with a concrete wall with spaces for U turns, and motorbike riders are going up and down both sides freely all the time.

• Like 1