Abused Capybara in Khon Kaen sparks outcry on social media

webfact

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijMhwXOtxPZGqX8i5Rg1m5yRQAeDuQ.jpg

The owner of a zoo in Thailand’s Khon Kaen province has posted disturbing pictures, on the zoo’s official Facebook page, of a Capybara (Hydrochoerus hydrochaeris) being abused, urging visitors not to harm them as such creatures are friendly and do not harm others.

The owner of the Khon Kaen Exotic Pets & The Fountain Show zoo, located in Sila sub-district in Muang district of Khon Kaen, told a reporter that, on New Year’s Day, many visitors flocked to the zoo and were all given baskets of vegetables with which to feed the animals.

One visitor, however, was surprised when a Capybara approached them. The visitor struck the creature with the basket until the creature bled. Staff members at the zoo quickly treated the animal’s wounds after the shocking incident.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/abused-capybara-in-khon-kaen-sparks-outcry-on-social-media/

Logo-top-.png
  • Sad 8

8 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The 'zoo' is just as culpable as the raging idiot who harmed the animal.

Taking the money, over loading the capacity, nt having handlers and staff trained and able to protect the animals welfare during the interactions. 

But hey what do we expect ?? When people complain about labels like developing or 3rd world, because theres cheap asian cars and malls, its the subtler stuff that tells you. 

Nah. An individual  acted badly and should be punished. Obviously  not used to dealing with animals..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, evidence please which I can collate and forward. As a qualified Biologist, and a former Volunteer with Khon Kaen Tourist Police, I can assure everyone this Zoo is well organized, well managed and operated to a high standard. I made several visits with colleagues from the TP, especially during public holidays to monitor visitors, before moving to Cambodia.

Perhaps   you could have suggested the error of there ways regarding dual pricing unless this filthy practice has stopped 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Some people are un-used to being around animals and and don't know how to behave, sometimes seeking a reaction to an action.

Example:

I had a pair of birds in a large cage, a friend once came to visit and chat to me, bringing his young son along with him.

The young lad went directly to the cage and started banging on the frame, I politely asked him to stop, which he did.

A couple of seconds later the boy had found a pencil on my desk and was now poking one of the birds, which was screeching in response.

I took the pencil from him and asked why he was doing it, he said he wanted to see what happened...

I poked him in the ribs with the pencil to which he shrieked back.

I said now you understand!

Keeping birds in cages for your pleasure is animal cruelty.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

With respect, evidence please which I can collate and forward. As a qualified Biologist, and a former Volunteer with Khon Kaen Tourist Police, I can assure everyone this Zoo is well organized, well managed and operated to a high standard. I made several visits with colleagues from the TP, especially during public holidays to monitor visitors, before moving to Cambodia.

clearly not well enough to manage visitor animal interactions.. Evidently.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Nah. An individual  acted badly and should be punished. Obviously  not used to dealing with animals..

The zoos job in a setting where people and animals are mixed is to manage that interaction safely. The individual should not have been in a position to act badly and the interaction managed appropriately. 

2 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The zoos job in a setting where people and animals are mixed is to manage that interaction safely. The individual should not have been in a position to act badly and the interaction 

Was lucky it didn't end up on a plate.

• 11 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, KhunLA said:

All zoos should be banned ... period.  Nothing but animal abuse.

Agree with your comment......................Certainly the so-called "zoo" in Phuket was a disgusting place, with the animals in poor condition and the smell being almost unbelievably bad, so I'm pleased to hear that it is now closed, because it was an absolute disgrace.

• Like 1

Owner of captive wild animals, wants people to treat them nicely ...

...  hmm

All bad zoos should be banned, but there are some exceptional ones that do a lot of good work in conservation and education, like the San Diego Zoo, USA

Owner of captive wild animals, wants people to treat them nicely ...

...  hmm

2 minutes ago, mikeymike100 said:

All bad zoos should be banned, but there are some exceptional ones that do a lot of good work in conservation and education, like the San Diego Zoo, USA

On one level I do agree with this sentiment. The only thing that gives me some pause is that quite a few endangered animals are being bred by zoos and would become extinct without them.

https://www.aza.org/connect-stories/stories/how-do-zoos-help-animals?locale=en

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/17/world/captive-breeding-species-cte-scn-spc-intl/index.html

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

On one level I do agree with this sentiment. The only thing that gives me some pause is that quite a few endangered animals are being bred by zoos and would become extinct without them.

https://www.aza.org/connect-stories/stories/how-do-zoos-help-animals?locale=en

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/17/world/captive-breeding-species-cte-scn-spc-intl/index.html

Hi

We're locking you in jail because we want to take care of you. Don't be so ungrateful, we're doing it for you. By the way, if you want food you will need to entertain visitors. If you do a bad job and the visitors stop coming, you will starve.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Joe Farang said:

Hi

We're locking you in jail because we want to take care of you. Don't be so ungrateful, we're doing it for you. By the way, if you want food you will need to entertain visitors. If you do a bad job and the visitors stop coming, you will starve.

Hi, we're turning you loose in your native habitat but don't expect to see anybody that looks like you because they are almost all gone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Hi, we're turning you loose in your native habitat but don't expect to see anybody that looks like you because they are almost all gone.

Oh, and by the way, if you see anything with big teeth licking their lips while staring at you ... RUN!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Shouln't have been imprisoned to begin with. By the way, your species are all gone because humans killed them off.

Oh, we also only try to protect pretty animals to the human eye. If you are ugly or very small your species will never even be mentioned as it goes extinct.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/5/2022 at 5:19 AM, Albaby said:

Keeping birds in cages for your pleasure is animal cruelty.

Not if they are domesticated well cared for pet birds.  The would die if released. 

So long as the cage is large and they have free time to fly in the house then they have a better life then most wild birds. 

I agree catching wild birds and caging then is cruel though. 

I have pet budgies and finches.  They live in a large outdoor aviary in my garden and they are very happy.  If I let then out they would die of starvation, get killed my wild birds and cats. 

As for the OP a good zoo that allowed the animals to be in naturalistic large  inclosures and care for them well.... Nothing wrong with that.  Most zoo animals are actually captive born these days and used to humans. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1