Leaving Thailand. Is a PCR test required and if so by whom?

1 minute ago, Alldar said:

The situation is constantly changing so you will need to check the requirements of destination country and every transit country. Also it can be a requirement of the airlines but usually it is not. I was flying 3 months ago with Emirates and I didn't need the test.

Thank you I was not really concerned  with nation rules as my intended destination  has suspended  PCR test requirements  but I am trying to clarify if airlines independently require  PCR tests.

1 minute ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you I was not really concerned  with nation rules as my intended destination  has suspended  PCR test requirements  but I am trying to clarify if airlines independently require  PCR tests.

I think I answered that question. Test can be required by either destination country, transit country, airlines. So you need to check all three. Usually the test is not required by the airlines but it is not always the case.

1 minute ago, Alldar said:

I think I answered that question. Test can be required by either destination country, transit country, airlines. So you need to check all three. Usually the test is not required by the airlines but it is not always the case.

Thank you for your  answer  The issue  of destination  country  and transit country  is easy to ascertain but the airline  requirement is more unclear.

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Thank you for your  answer  The issue  of destination  country  and transit country  is easy to ascertain but the airline  requirement is more unclear.

Airlines should have the information on their website, if there is any doubt you can contact them directly and just ask.

9 minutes ago, Alldar said:

Airlines should have the information on their website, if there is any doubt you can contact them directly and just ask.

Thank you. The operative word is 'should'. So far I have found no clear indication  on this matter thus my inquiry  on this forum.

Regarding  contacting an airline  directly  for a general  enquiry: Virtually  impossible to get a human responses unless linked to a specific issue.  All you get  is a robot  voice directing you to a number options list.

Edited by The Hammer2021

14 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Why don't you just get one done so you're covered.

A RT-PCR will get you on any airline, perhaps not with ATK.

A RT=PCR test and the result is positive, you will be required to stay in hospital for ten days and pay 200 000 Baht for the privilege, even if you are asymptomatic l

Would be easy for a hospital to give a false positive result and pocket 200 000 B

4 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

A RT=PCR test and the result is positive, you will be required to stay in hospital for ten days and pay 200 000 Baht for the privilege, even if you are asymptomatic l

Would be easy for a hospital to give a false positive result and pocket 200 000 B

Total nonsense, you have no idea what you're talking about.

2 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Total nonsense, you have no idea what you're talking about.

I am just back from asking at the hospital 20 minutes ago , as I need a PCR test done soon .

That is what the hospital told me .

Test positive and you HAVE to stay in the hospital and estimated 200 000 Baht ten day stay 

If you know a way to avoid a hospital stay after a positive test , please tell me how to do that 

Just now, Mac Mickmanus said:

I am just back from asking at the hospital 20 minutes ago , as I need a PCR test done soon .

That is what the hospital told me .

Test positive and you HAVE to stay in the hospital and estimated 200 000 Baht ten day stay 

If you know a way to avoid a hospital stay after a positive test , please tell me how to do that 

I know 2 people that have had PCR test then gone home, test positive got a phone call and told to stay home ( no symptoms ).

I also know 1 person, had a PCR went  home, got a phone call and told an ambulance was being sent for him to take to hospital ( no sypmtoms ). He went and they tried to charge him 20K per night, he told them he could not afford to pay that ( he could of ), ended up paying 20K for 10 nights.

1st two cases were in the last month, 3rd case was about 8 months ago.

How to avoid a stay in hospital if you're so worried about a + resuly - self isolate for 7-10 days, carry out multiple home tests until you're confident that your negative, only then report to hospital for PCR. That's your best shot.

Good luck. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 1:03 PM, khunPer said:

You need to check with the rules in the country of entry, and the if the air-carrier has special Covid regulations.

This.

It varies by country and by airline.

For UK, definitive info  is here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-to-england-from-another-country-during-coronavirus-covid-19

Looks like if fully vaccinated UK does not require a test prior to departure, only after arrival - but see if the airline has its own rule or not

if taking other than a direct flight you will need to also research requirements of transit points

Thread moved to Visa and Migration to Other countries forum

I think the thread I started can now  be closed but we can conclude  the following:
Some nations require  PCR tests but currently  the UK does not.
If a nation requires a PCR test the airlines  check the passenger  has a PCR test.
Airlines  may or may not independently require  a PCR test for the protection  of their staff and passengers.
PCR tests can give false positives for up to 3 moths after covid recovery
More people are catching and recovering  from covid because of Omicron
PCR tests are not reliable  and potentially unfair to more people.
Airlines that do not require PCR tests should be used and patronised to avoid needless travel delays  and unneeded  quarantine.
Currently  there is no list of airlines not requiring PCR tests for their own use as opposed  to national  requirements.
With those conclusions the thread can now close.