Deadline for arrivals under Thailand’s ‘Test and Go’ scheme may be extended to mid-January

snoop1130

2 hours ago, ololosha said:

Like anywhere in the world nowadays, right?))) 

And checking the statistics, Thailand has ~30 cases per 100 000 while the country where I live has 250 and UK 2000, so where is safer?))))

Where is safer? A country that tests. I've had 2 PCR tests in Bangkok. My son likewise. The total number bring tested at the time was 7. That said the system worked flawlessly. 

3 hours ago, ololosha said:

And checking the statistics, Thailand has ~30 cases per 100 000 while the country where I live has 250 and UK 2000, so where is safer?))))

The difference is that if I get Omricon in my own country I quarantine at home with all the usual luxuries and distractions available to me. If I contract it in Thailand, I am looking at enforced quarantine in a hotel or hospital? I can never quite keep up to date with the requirements. Cambodia has just introduced compulsory 14 day hospital care for anyone who tests positive for Omricon too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah, this one exposes the frailties of thai-style "governing". I'm sure there is a thai colloquialism involving animals to explain this effect?

For the easy stuff the pm simply issues orders. "pm orders that Bangkok's traffic problems must be solved in 30 days.".

For complicated stuff a committee, meeting, proclamation with gazetting is required.

Given that airlines ultimately enforce the daily "rules" with pre-departure screening, I'm not sure a CCSA meeting today, with a potential decision on a stoppage date, eight days hence maximum, is that challenging a decision. 

So you're absolutely right.

Pick a date between 8 and 15 January.

If in doubt get a monkey to throw a dart.

Sound logic.  The date should have been 31jan to coincide with the Pass &Go date freeze.  One hopes that, getting the orginal qr code means one passed all the requirements to enter the Kindom. How does one say entering before 15 January makes for quality vs the same people coming in a few days later?  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ronster said:

Quality over quantity doesn’t pay the bills or feed the masses though  !! 

Imagine being locked up in a hospital for 10 days and still be feeling worse for wear. And Thai girls are popping themselves and gone home .also enjoy eating rice and chicken foot ..

Edited by NicholasTH
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

It's a weak attempt at saving face. He's pretending that it's not the state of Thailand's constantly changing policies that is causing nobody to want to risk coming here, it's because Thailand is being more selective in who they allow to come.

The tourism equivalent of "She didn't dump me, I dumped her".

Thanks.

Thailand must be unhappy that the hordes of Chinese they were hoping for won't be coming.

BTW It will be interesting to see if the Chinese way of exterminating Covid proves more effective or America's giving up and hoping for herd immunity proves more effective. And the race is on.

• Like 2

Like several other posters I have canceled my January 13th arrival for a Phuket vacation.  Will not accept the possibility of forced hospitalization or quarantine for the majority of my trip and simply can not trust the government's constant changes.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artben said:

Like several other posters I have canceled my January 13th arrival for a Phuket vacation.  Will not accept the possibility of forced hospitalization or quarantine for the majority of my trip and simply can not trust the government's constant changes.  

Wise move even with having Insurance doesn’t mean you’re going to get the right care even they are changing hotels status.. 

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

He made clear that it is not possible to extend the deadline to February or April, as suggested by some tourism business operators, explaining that the government is focusing on “quality” tourists, not on the numbers.

Can someone please translate this for me?

I would very much like to know how they define a "quality tourist"?  Or is this Anutin's excuse for moving the goal posts yet again with a very flimsy excuse.  Do they check Tourist's bank account?  Or if they have a house?  Or if they have a well paid job?  I do wish the said Gentleman would engage brain before engaging mouth!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He made clear that it is not possible to extend the deadline to February or April, as suggested by some tourism business operators, explaining that the government is focusing on “quality” tourists, not on the numbers

Easy to say when you are rich and have no business raised in tourism

57 minutes ago, Artben said:

IF testing positive for Covid-19 upon arrival anyone will be sent to hospital or hospitel for isolation, even if asymptomatic - The government has not changed their stance on this at all. 

That said, the risk of exposure has increased with the Omicron variant - that is not Thailands fault. 

If you were planning on travelling to Thailand for nothing more than a simple holiday, then not travelling would make sense. 

If, however, you were planning on travelling to Thailand for an ‘extended break’ (i.e. a few months or more) then the ‘risk of exposure’ maybe considered worth it (for some). 

The issue for some with potentially testing positive is being shunted into isolation - i.e. having to go to hospital or a hospitel. People are concerned with the possible costs of 1 to 2 weeks.

Thus, before travel, ensure that your insurance will cover the cost of ‘isolation’ in a hospital or hospitel if you test positive, even if you are asymptomatic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ololosha said:

Rolling death rate per new cases is the important number.

Currently about 1 in 1100 in UK.

In Thailand?

About 1 in 400.

6 hours ago, ololosha said:

Rolling death rate per new cases is the important number.

Currently about 1 in 1100 in UK.

In Thailand?

About 1 in 400.

Please deal with this double post editors......thank you

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, ololosha said:

And you believe the Thai figures?????????????

20 hours ago, 86Tiger said:

Oh my goodness.

Decide something.  Anything.  And go with it.  Constant change is not very good for stability or confidence.

Don't be so dramatic.....they have decided....the final decision is MAYBE...in which I for one, am 100% confident.

What's wrong with you man?  ????

• Haha 1

On 12/26/2021 at 4:12 AM, Brewster67 said:

Good, now they need to go after and take down the 'real' insurgents, being the leaders of the protest groups that are US backed, funded and trained to take down the China friendly and democratically elected Thai government.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:54 AM, richard_smith237 said:

And this.... 

On 12/29/2021 at 8:16 AM, Jingthing said:

He didn't leave without his passport.

On 12/29/2021 at 8:24 AM, Jingthing said:

Not credible. Lost in translation. The original account said he lacked the necessary health clearance document. That is credible.

On 1/5/2022 at 4:58 AM, JeffersLos said:

Quite an unfair charge anyway, given he only tested positive due to having just had a dentist appointment. 

9 hours ago, ololosha said:

That should read 30 “reported” cases per 100,000.

From the Thai press

"Thailand’s travel ban for African countries will be cancelled from January 11, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) announced on Friday.

Also from January 11, the tourism sandbox programme will also expanded to three more provinces – Surat Thani (Koh Samui, Koh Pha-ngan and Koh Tao), Phang-nga and Krabi. Under the sandbox programme, fully vaccinated Thai and foreign travellers must book seven nights in an alternative quarantine hotel and take two RT-PCR tests. Restaurants can serve alcohol in the sandbox and 26 Blue Zone provinces, although bars and entertainment venues remain closed.

Registration for the Test & Go scheme remains suspended until further notice. From January 15, bookings under the scheme will be invalid. Test & Go bookings from January 16 to 31 total 16,364, according to the CCSA."