Motorbike Purchase Preferred Method

night_rider

Does anyone have a preferred method of buying motorbikes here?

I'm looking for a bike or two. Would prefer good second hand bikes but finding prices locally that make me think new is a better deal.

I've looked at Apple Auctions. I've seen ads for new bikes on Lazada and Shopee. I have not been able to find a One2Car online equivalent for bikes.

Does anyone have recommendations for buying new or used? Any personal experiences you would share are appreciated.

Edited by night_rider

Second hand ideal,1 to 2 year old,if stolen not big loss. Repair dirt cheap,but let gf take it,farang price rises

puncture repair 40 baht patch,just as good as new 160 baht,try big wheel bike,small wheels no good

Union auctions BKK,start half asking price,reserve but creep up to what you see advertising prices are asking.  Buy off farang if poss  no need to change name

Wave, Klick/filano/grand filano  popular

Edited by fredscats

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I never tried it myself but you might be able to buy a bike from a shop which has bikes for rent. It has the advantage that you can test it thoroughly before you buy.

who the hell would want to by an ex rental bike ? - certainly not me, that's for sure .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, piston broke said:

who the hell would want to by an ex rental bike ? - certainly not me, that's for sure .....

Why?

With lots of small bikes like the PCX anybody rides them anyhow always full throttle - private or rental bike does not matter.

And like I mentioned above: If you like a bike rent it and ride it for 20km or whatever. And if you like ask an expert to check the bike. With private bikes for sale you won't be able to do that very often.

But up to you.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why?

With lots of small bikes like the PCX anybody rides them anyhow always full throttle - private or rental bike does not matter.

And like I mentioned above: If you like a bike rent it and ride it for 20km or whatever. And if you like ask an expert to check the bike. With private bikes for sale you won't be able to do that very often.

But up to you.

yes it most certainly up to me .... I would never knowingly buy any vehicle that as been and rented out - That said have you ever seen a rental company (bike or car) advertising ex rental vehicles - no ?  i thought not, will try and pass them off as "1 lady owner" vehicles .....lol ... 55555 ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, piston broke said:

yes it most certainly up to me .... I would never knowingly buy any vehicle that as been and rented out - That said have you ever seen a rental company (bike or car) advertising ex rental vehicles - no ?  i thought not, will try and pass them off as "1 lady owner" vehicles .....lol ... 55555 ..

I saw at least one video from a guy who bought a bike from a rental shop in Pattaya. And I think I remember an entry in this forum from a guy who did the same in Bangkok.

I am sure that are shops which were used to many tourists but without tourist they have too many bikes and maybe sell them. It's just an idea. If the OP likes it he can spend an afternoon look at bikes for rent and maybe ask if he can buy one - if he likes any of them. And worst case it was one afternoon wasted.

8 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I saw at least one video from a guy who bought a bike from a rental shop in Pattaya. And I think I remember an entry in this forum from a guy who did the same in Bangkok.

I am sure that are shops which were used to many tourists but without tourist they have too many bikes and maybe sell them. It's just an idea. If the OP likes it he can spend an afternoon look at bikes for rent and maybe ask if he can buy one - if he likes any of them. And worst case it was one afternoon wasted.

Repairs that cheap,and I mean cheap,135 yamaha  owned 10 years plus,not in my name  150,000 k on clock,still goes like a rocket

• Like 1

Motorbikes are very dangerous in Thailand. Only a fool would put their life in danger riding a motorbike. A much safer and healthier method of travel is to buy a motor vehicle, preferably a truck or large sedan with a strong bumper. Also buy the most expense insurance you can find as a foreigner will always be accused of fault in an accident.

motorcycle-accident-thailand.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Screaming said:

Motorbikes are very dangerous in Thailand. Only a fool would put their life in danger riding a motorbike. A much safer and healthier method of travel is to buy a motor vehicle, preferably a truck or large sedan with a strong bumper. Also buy the most expense insurance you can find as a foreigner will always be accused of fault in an accident.

All circumstances are different. I rarely drink and live deep in the countryside. Roads here are wide open and quiet.

We'll buy a car at some point but I just got in country and there's a rather long to do list.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Screaming said:

You do know a motorbike is a motor vehicle ... ????

Been driving them for 40 yrs, 22 yrs here, and no major oops yet.  They as safe as your driving (defensive) ability.

I have the bare minimum insurance on my motorbike, as that's all I need.

Agree, 4 wheeler are safer ... usually.  And Thailand is not the place for a westerner to learn on a motorcycle, unless living rural.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, night_rider said:

Does anyone have a preferred method of buying motorbikes here? 

What in the way of motorbike are you thinking or want to buy would be a better start IMHO. 

Scooter,  Wave,  computer,  adventure,  power output etc. 

Bikes new and 2nd-hand

for sale everywhere.

All good man.

Ask a motorcycle taxi where to.

Craigslist, Aseannow, FB, many online sites.

In Patty can rent for a week and rental fee applies to price.

Small-bikes, new or used, are super cheap here.

Get several.

/////

7 hours ago, night_rider said:

prefer good second hand bikes but finding prices locally

Might be easier to advise if locality was revealed.

Edited by papa al

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Depends what bike you want, if Wave, Click, Aerox etc 40k-60k just buy new with cash, plenty of shops around

I asked about a new Wave 125cc electric start ,mag wheels 60k cash ,they have gone up a lot over the past year, or the tax has ?,a 110cc Wave electric start about 44k cash.

I brought a Suzie  Smash second hand only 8k on the clock ,and no,it has not been clocked,genuine ,an old model with a carb, 24k baht  from one of our local bike shop's it lives on a side-car and is used daily ,cutting cattle feed ,runs very well  no problems with it.

They are some bargains out they ,see above, just got to  look.

6 hours ago, piston broke said:

who's writing this garbage ? ?  - if you buy a bike - of course you got the change the ownership into your name .....

Correct! I sold a used Harley to a farang from up country. I assumed he'd change the Green Book . About 2 years later he contacted me that I needed to go to Immigration to get a paper because he never put it in his name. He got sick and had to sell it but couldn't because it was still in my name. PITA for me as I'd already done it once. <deleted>

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What in the way of motorbike are you thinking or want to buy would be a better start IMHO. 

Scooter,  Wave,  computer,  adventure,  power output etc. 

Sorry. I'm in Thoeng about an hour south of Chiang Rai and she wants a PCX on the premise we can stick everyone on it. Not so sure about that. I'm thinking a couple second hand Clicks would be better than a new PCX.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, night_rider said:

Sorry. I'm in Thoeng about an hour south of Chiang Rai and she wants a PCX on the premise we can stick everyone on it. Not so sure about that. I'm thinking a couple second hand Clicks would be better than a new PCX.

Your not talking big money with  either scooters Clicks s/h cheap as chips.

What you decide to do I cannot decide for you. 

The question how much money you got together so far and look ads. 

BathSold and many other places even here on Asian Now sell those scoots I would not worry about how old they are there pretty bulletproof.

• Like 2