Three More Provinces Added to Sandbox Program, Test & Go Pre-approved Applicants Allowed to Enter Thailand

ASEAN NOW

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

It's not milking a cow, it is not greed.  Millions and millions of people who rely on the tourist industry have had little to no income for TWO YEARS.  It is not only hotel owners but receptionists, cooks, dish washers, maids, drivers, gardeners, and all the people who supply them, shop owners, small restaurants, beach vendors.  It is trying to help those people earn a living.   It really annoys me when people throw out this ridiculous TVF "Thai greed" comment when the absolutely destruction of livelihoods is there for all to see..........and these people need tourists back.

People in the cities have other options to a certain extent (Thais still need food and services).  People on the islands need foreign tourists, it really isn't hard to understand.

Yes, seems maybe you do understand this after all.  So why shout "greed"?

sure you are right, but other countries around the world have the same problems, but othe rsolutions and they don't keep tourists with no symptons in a hospital for their own costs.. That is greed and scam for expensive PCR tests.... That kind of things have a negative influence on the tourists that will come and on the last weeks your read much more about how tourists are being treaten... Indeed I feel sorry for the people working in and around the tourist industry, but they have to blame the Government and not the tourists

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

I don't understand why they suspend the test and go but allow the sandbox. Newly arrived tourists are allowed into the local community in the sandbox scheme and can therefore pass on covid to Thais and enceother tourists who could subsequently travel and spread it. 

To me it makes no sense. Either open with test and go or quarantine all arrivals.

Some places are difficult to sandbox. How a Bangkok sandbox would be implemented? Sandbox is a midway between free entry and quarantine, the governments would love to put everyone in 1 month quarantine,  but there would be zero demand for this.

Edited by gearbox

7 hours ago, ASEAN NOW said:

A top-level policy meeting on Friday approved three islands in Surat Thani province - Koh, Samui, Kao Phangan, and Koh Tao - as additional sandbox destinations

Against my better judgment, but due to the Thai wife being near hysterical at the thought of spending an entire winter in the cold US, I rebooked our canceled (by the airline) January flights to February. We arrive via Swiss Air in BKK.

Does anyone know how the Samui Sandbox works? I understand you must arrive on an international flight in Phuket for that Sandbox, but Samui has no international flights. Can we transit onto a Samui flight at BKK?

To date we have not applied for Thai Pass or any other permission. We are vaxxed.

Edited by ftpjtm

6 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

Against my better judgment, but due to the Thai wife being near hysterical at the thought of spending an entire winter in the cold US, I rebooked our canceled (by the airline) January flights to February. We arrive via Swiss Air in BKK.

Does anyone know how the Samui Sandbox works? I understand you must arrive on an international flight in Phuket for that Sandbox, but Samui has no international flights. Can we transit onto a Samui flight at BKK?

You can't change from international to domestic flight with the sandboxes, if you want to use the sandboxes you need to cancel again and book a direct international ticket to the sandbox.

IMO the Phuket sandbox is much better,  much bigger choice of flights, and if you want to fly within Thailand later you are not limited to Bandit Airways.

I had a good time in the Phuket sandbox last November, and plan to use it again in March.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, gearbox said:

You can't change from international to domestic flight with the sandboxes, if you want to use the sandboxes you need to cancel again and book a direct international ticket to the sandbox.

IMO the Phuket sandbox is much better,  much bigger choice of flights, and if you want to fly within Thailand later you are not limited to Bandit Airways.

I had a good time in the Phuket sandbox last November, and plan to use it again in March.

It was my understanding that there are "safe corridor" connecting flights to Saumi, as there are no international connections. 

• Thanks 1

Is a person with a Thailand Pass (from early Dec) for a Sandbox arriving in Pattaya on the 12th this month ok?

All the data I found about the changes only addresses the people on Test and Go that should be good until the 15th. I couldn't find any reference to the people on the Non-Phuket sandbox programme.

Edited by FarangFB

4 minutes ago, ftpjtm said:

It was my understanding that there are "safe corridor" connecting flights to Saumi, as there are no international connections. 

These are Bangkok Airways flights with flight numbers PGXXXX, you can't book them separately as domestic tickets. The only direct international flights now AFAIK are from Singapore.

18 minutes ago, gearbox said:

These are Bangkok Airways flights with flight numbers PGXXXX, you can't book them separately as domestic tickets. The only direct international flights now AFAIK are from Singapore.

Ok, with some internet research I came up with this from https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-thailand/samui-plus-sandbox-travel-to-thailand-without-quarantine

"You can fly to Samui on a direct international flight or international flight via Bangkok and be connected with approved sealed flights as details below.

For the flight via Bangkok, the ticket must be issued on the same booking with an international flight in conjunction with such approved Bangkok-Samui-Bangkok flights. Any flight reservations booked separately will not be allowed.

Bangkok Airways Flights: PG5125 and PG5171"

45 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Some places are difficult to sandbox. How a Bangkok sandbox would be implemented? Sandbox is a midway between free entry and quarantine, the governments would love to put everyone in 1 month quarantine,  but there would be zero demand for this.

I don't believe that the Thai government has any interest to mandate long quarantines for tourists. Omicron can't be stopped, but it can and should be be slowed down as good as possible. The best way to do this is debatable. I think as soon as the new cases are approaching a maximum and vaccination rates are good, the "covid filter" for foreign arrivals could be eased. One has to compare the local inflicted infections with the potential cases slipping through the "covid filter" for arrivals. This filter will never work 100%. Unless Thailand wants be isolated like North Korea, arrivals should be made easier again as soon as the country has learned how to manage and live with the new variant. Given the infection speed hopefully this will be soon.

The big todo I see is to decide clear rules  how to handle symptom free infections and possibly regulate hospital costs. Of course it makes sense to allow quarantines in hotels!

2 minutes ago, Stefanix said:

I don't believe that the Thai government has any interest to mandate long quarantines for tourists. Omicron can't be stopped, but it can and should be be slowed down as good as possible. The best way to do this is debatable. I think as soon as the new cases are approaching a maximum and vaccination rates are good, the "covid filter" for foreign arrivals could be eased. One has to compare the local inflicted infections with the potential cases slipping through the "covid filter" for arrivals. This filter will never work 100%. Unless Thailand wants be isolated like North Korea, arrivals should be made easier again as soon as the country has learned how to manage and live with the new variant. Given the infection speed hopefully this will be soon.

The big todo I see is to decide clear rules  how to handle symptom free infections and possibly regulate hospital costs. Of course it makes sense to allow quarantines in hotels!

I think everyone who want thailand to fully open is just thinking about their own needs.I see many post about drinking and alcohol..its a big concern.Its abou time thailand start care about the thais and then i not mean the tourisbusiness but the people who really suffer around thailand.

• Confused 1

I am attempting to come back to Thailand on my O-A retirement visa through Phuket but I am running out of time awaiting the approval of my thai pass QR code so I think I my just cancel that and wait for the latest on the Samui sandbox version. However, as I have read it must be an international flight into the island with transiting through BKK not permitted. That will be very limiting to finding a flight, Singapore with Bankok air twice a week. I hope that changes. Any insight would be appreciated. 

9 hours ago, stigar said:

This country is so crazy about money from foreigners that they skip every chances to make the thai peope safe.Why do u think they open alot of hospitels?Good luck to all of u who take the chance.

A lot of Thai people depend on that “foreign money” to feed themselves.

• Like 1

Could someone PLEASE out there keep an up date on the next stage of entering the country when they do away with stop & go and the Thai Pass. I have now booked 3rd time for 9th may coming from Australia so no visa required had 3 shoots ,and prove and will get clearance down here 72 hours before my flight as was l have booked Chang Mai, then Bangkok, & Kho Lanta. I do not what to spend days in quintine at my expanse to the Thai Government  Much rather give where it is needed the Thai people. Thanks for any help.   

18 minutes ago, Sharron Merrilees said:

Could someone PLEASE out there keep an up date on the next stage of entering the country when they do away with stop & go and the Thai Pass. I have now booked 3rd time for 9th may coming from Australia so no visa required had 3 shoots ,and prove and will get clearance down here 72 hours before my flight as was l have booked Chang Mai, then Bangkok, & Kho Lanta. I do not what to spend days in quintine at my expanse to the Thai Government  Much rather give where it is needed the Thai people. Thanks for any help.   

Slightly confusing what you are doing.   Has your application for 'stop and go' been approved?   If not, the current status is that to avoid quarantine, there is only the Sandbox option (7 days in a Sandbox location, but free to roam within the area after first negative test).   The good news is, Koh Lanta, being part of Krabi province, is a Sandbox location, so you have the potential of changing your itinerary to start your visit there.   I recommend you checking regularly with Richard Barrow in Thailand on Facebook, and his associated (TNR) news site.   This is probably the most current and accurate news you will get.   Much of what is available on forums are opinions rather than actual facts.

55 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

sure you are right, but other countries around the world have the same problems, but othe rsolutions and they don't keep tourists with no symptons in a hospital for their own costs.. That is greed and scam for expensive PCR tests.... That kind of things have a negative influence on the tourists that will come and on the last weeks your read much more about how tourists are being treaten... Indeed I feel sorry for the people working in and around the tourist industry, but they have to blame the Government and not the tourists

Sorry, this argument holds no weight.  Everyone - the government included - would make so much more money if tourism was as open and free as it used to be.  It is not a scam for PCR tests, really.

I agree that putting people in hospital after a positive test is ridiculous and way over the top but that happens to Thais as well as foreigners.  Well, it used to.  They actually don't do it any more - a positive test with mild symptoms and you can self isolate now, tourists included.  So no scam, sorry.  Just a misguided policy that has now been rectified.

38 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Sorry, this argument holds no weight.  Everyone - the government included - would make so much more money if tourism was as open and free as it used to be.  It is not a scam for PCR tests, really.

I agree that putting people in hospital after a positive test is ridiculous and way over the top but that happens to Thais as well as foreigners.  Well, it used to.  They actually don't do it any more - a positive test with mild symptoms and you can self isolate now, tourists included.  So no scam, sorry.  Just a misguided policy that has now been rectified.

The PCr test is just an example... there is much more...as you probably know..as double pricing, double standards ....how often do you read on the internet about foreigners fined for..... That is what I mean with scam not only the PCR tests.....

18 hours ago, JackGats said:

Yeah that's what struck me as well. Having to wait until the 15th to know whether you're allowed to enter as from the 15th, happy planning.

Who is actually prevented from entering?

Is Thailand the  only country that has had variable entry requirements?

Answers on a postcard.

11 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

but other countries around the world have the same problems, but othe rsolutions and they don't keep tourists with no symptons in a hospital for their own costs.. That is greed and scam for expensive PCR tests....

One can only assume you have never heard of  the UK Red list.

Compulsory quarantine at a fixed price about £2285, but they do offer a payment plan if you can justify it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hardship-arrangements-for-those-unable-to-pay-for-managed-quarantine-or-testing

37 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One can only assume you have never heard of  the UK Red list.

Compulsory quarantine at a fixed price about £2285, but they do offer a payment plan if you can justify it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hardship-arrangements-for-those-unable-to-pay-for-managed-quarantine-or-testing

That is clear and no surprises.... you know what you have to pay and what to do.....

Published in the Royal Thai Government Gazette on 8 January 2022, the announcement also officiated the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration’s (CCSA) decision to reopen 3 more Sandbox destinations – Krabi, Phang-Nga, and Surat Thani (only Ko Samui, Ko Pha-ngan, and Ko Tao) from 11 January 2022 – in addition to Phuket. 

The announcement also confirmed that travelers who have applied/obtained their Thailand Pass QR code before 22 December 2021, with scheduled arrival dates in Thailand from 24 December 2021, onwards, can still enter Thailand until there are any changes.

Currently, there is no cut-off date.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I would be surprised if the one day quarantine isn't suspended for an indefinite period.

We have seen three groups of guests who came under the Test and Go umbrella.

They tested negative on their first  PCR test.

Left quarantine but tested positive on their second PCR test at their holiday accommodation.

They are then in quarantine for between 10 - 14 days at that accommodation. ie until they are clear.

What happens to those who live here in those circumstances? Can they quarantine at home if they test positive on truth second PCR?

On 1/9/2022 at 3:43 PM, aussiexpat said:

That's not correct. Currently all with a Test & Go Thai Pass are allowed to enter until further notice as per the Gazzette. The 15th date is now just when the next meeting is to occur where it can be discussed.

I'm sick of all these rumours as the official status of Test & Go since 22 Dec has never changed for people that had a current Thai Pass. All this talk about the 10th cut-off  and then 15th cut-off has never been approved at any level. 

Note: I canceled my 13th Jan trip because of all these cut-off rumours. Luckily I was able to reinstate everything after Friday's meeting with only an additional $70 for flight

Many people just do not comprehend what they read, happens here all the time.