Can the PEA and PWA utility bills be automatically debited from a bank account or is this too sophisticated for the LOS?

davidst01

On 1/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, davidst01 said:

In more civilised countries one can have it automatically deducted from a bank account. Can this be arranged in Thailand or is it too advanced/ too much to ask?

Just because you don't know how arrange auto pay doesn't mean it doesn't exist,  in our house the electric and water bills have been automatically paid for many many years,  your negative leaning question is comical. 

14 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Are you for real??

It is super easy and reliable.  And yes - in English!  Wow!!!

There is always one clever clogs isn't there ?  Most replies have been informative . Until now my lady has paid the bills by going to the offices and paying cash . She has always paid this way for years , has few if any online banking skills and answered my question to her about paying online ,

saying " I do not know " , hence my request for info on this forum . Now that I have the info from some helpful members  I can proceed with a confident outlook . 

There is no need for condescending replies   

It might also interest you to know that if you go to the PEA website, click on "e-service" then "meter reading history" and put in your CA reference and PEA number it will bring up a bar chart showing your monthly consumption in units (Kwh) and the Baht amount back to March 2020.

PEA - Provincial Electricity Authority > e-Service > Meter Reading History

On 1/11/2022 at 6:14 AM, NanaSomchai said:

PEA and PWA can be paid online without ever setting a foot in a 7-Eleven to pay the bills.

However there are a few things you should be aware of; (I'm going to digress quite a bit on this one but you have been warned);

A few years ago I rented a house to some unscrupulous people who turned they were bad apples and as they were Thai nationals they thought they'd have the upper hand should we go to court, shortly after they refused to pay the rent, honour their internet/PWA/PEA bills and ultimately refused to move out of the property when they were asked to. I could not evict them by force at the time because as they had a tenancy agreement that would have been considered as trespassing so the only way to force them out of the property was using this trick;

As I still had the Thai title deed, the company stamps and was the directory of the Co. Ltd which technically owned the property, this is what I did;

Step 1) Walked into a bank I had no previous links/affiliations with, I was not a previous customer of.

Step 2) Open a regular debit account and deposit 1,000 THB in said account.

Step 3) Go to the PWA administration and set debit for the water bills on that brand newly opened account.

Step 4) Let the bank account run out of money/lack of funds/lack of provisions on it, intentionally.

Step 5) Wait for the next automatic bill to default payment.

At that point what the PWA administration does is:

1) They stop issuing paper bills in the mailbox (so the despicable lessee doesn't even know the PWA counter number nor that a new bill has been issued).

2) They PWA administration turns you off within the next 30 to 40 days of past due bills.

Within a month those pesky squatters moved out of my property on their own because let's face it; even if it was "free" rent to them, no matter how "nice" the property is, no one wants to stay in a house that has no running water, no power and therefore no internet/TV/WiFi.

Doing that was a cheeky move from my end but it was honestly the safest, no confrontational way, no lawyer fees involved and no need to wait on a court hearing date way to get rid of those malevolent people.

The reason why I'm telling you this story is for you to understand that in Thailand, setting a direct debit with either of those administrations can be seen as a legally binding, self protecting, non disclosable agreement, once it's been set-up it's nearly impossible for a third party to break, the involved administration will not reveal any details to a third party despite having a tenancy agreement in their hands, so use wisely.

And doing a such thing protects you by law, as the lessee has no ways to prove you did this with malicious intent in mind.

In this country it's an eye for an eye and you fight fire with fire.

I love this story! Not a cheeky move at all, but a well thought out process with great vision. 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, superal said:

There is always one clever clogs isn't there ?  Most replies have been informative . Until now my lady has paid the bills by going to the offices and paying cash . She has always paid this way for years , has few if any online banking skills and answered my question to her about paying online ,

saying " I do not know " , hence my request for info on this forum . Now that I have the info from some helpful members  I can proceed with a confident outlook . 

There is no need for condescending replies   

It is easy, refer to my post above. However it may take a few months before the system is fully operative. If you get the monthly bills normally there is a bar-code on them. Just keep checking until no more bar-code shows up. If you still have a bar-code it is your usual way of paying, 7/11,or others. Once no more bar-code shows up, the automated system is operative.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 11:51 PM, GrandPapillon said:

jesus, who goes to TESCO or 7/11 pay their utility bills and get charged 10 THB for a 70THB water bill ? ????

Yes Dear, it´s outrageous! Who would have thought that people don´t care about 10 baht? Lucky to hear that you have finally understood that saving that 10 baht per month will give you enough for 1 beer at 7 Eleven every 5-6 month.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

never happened, jesus, aren't you scared of everything? ????

Weeeeeeell, my ex UK wife worked for a very well known bank in London, guess what her job was....?

In your case, I will give you 5 guesses.....????

8 hours ago, Moonlover said:

To pay my PEA bill I simply select PEA on my banking app and enter my customer number. It instantly tells me how much is due and I hit pay. Job done. Same with my True account as well.

Paper bills are so 20th century.

yeah but that isnt direct debit.. its manual intervention.. 

DD I do once.. per house and never think of it again.. 

21 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Are you for real??

It is super easy and reliable.  And yes - in English!  Wow!!!

It's brilliant and I know within seconds when monies taken out or deposited !   Exchange rates are not always that favourable .

Just go to your local electricity office with your bank passbook and passport, and they will set it up for you. Had done this when I first bought my condo in Bkk in 2013. For water bills, condo services include it in their CAM fees, don't know about stand alone houses.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:13 PM, sungod said:

Yes its possible with PEA and PWA, get the form from them, take it to your bank and then return to each. It takes about 45 days to take effect for some reason. (or at lest did when I set it up) so you may have to pay next bill anyway.

Or, set it up on your banking app.

I did the same a few months ago. We had to go to PEA, explain what we wanted, get a form from them, take it to Bangkok Bank, get a form from them and take back to PEA. We had to wait for the next billing cycle to come around then. So it took about the same as you. Now I get a 'tax receipt' from PEA a few days after the automatic debit. Of course I get an SMS from the bank when the transfer is made as well.

A side note :

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how many people replied to the OP with no knowledge or suggestions, or just nasty/stupid comments, apparently simply for the joy of seeing their fingers dance across the keyboard. Easily entertained, hey?

Just another reason I don't pay much attention to these forums anymore. This is the only and closest thing to 'social media' that I indulge in. Bubbling cesspools for the most part.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at how many people replied to the OP with no knowledge or suggestions, or just nasty/stupid comments, apparently simply for the joy of seeing their fingers dance across the keyboard. Easily entertained, hey?

The OP had worded his question in a manner that was insulting, direct bill pay has been around for many many years yet the OP used phrases/questions like;

"or is this too sophisticated for the LOS",

In more civilised countries one can have it automatically deducted from a bank account."

"Can this be arranged in Thailand or is it too advanced/ too much to ask?".

No wonder he received the negative comments you consider nasty or stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bbko said:

The OP had worded his question in a manner that was insulting, direct bill pay has been around for many many years yet the OP used phrases/questions like;

"or is this too sophisticated for the LOS",

In more civilised countries one can have it automatically deducted from a bank account."

"Can this be arranged in Thailand or is it too advanced/ too much to ask?".

No wonder he received the negative comments you consider nasty or stupid.

Oh, I see. That accounts for it then.

Now, what about the same behavior going on in most every other forum post, regardless of topic. ?

Get real.

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Oh, I see. That accounts for it then.

Now, what about the same behavior going on in most every other forum post, regardless of topic. ?

I get where you're coming from. Seeking advice on ThaiVisa/AseanNow is like looking for pearls in a dungheap; you have to wade through loads of <deleted> to find anything of value.

But the OP's sarcasm was unnecessary.

• Like 2