Father had enough of his former son-in-law - shoots him when he breaks the door down

webfact

8 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Believe as you wish  but don't  try to  put your beliefs into practice.

I had somebody break a window in my place in a steroid rage. He was off his trolley. Would I had had the length of bamboo stick I keep now, to whack him round the ear at the time. I don't think he would have had a case against me. This isn't nannyville. It's what most Thais would have done IMHO. And it's a very strange invocation not to practice what you preach, or stand up for yourself, or your beliefs. You think the police will?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Liberal left westerners will hope to get the FIL put away no doubt. 

In your dreams. Liberal left westerners are stunned that the BiB did this to the man defending himself from a person who broke into his house;

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The cops have initially charged him with attempted murder, reported Thai Rath.

However stunned is all that is allowed, criticism could be deemed 'defamation'. That is not legal, and punishable by arrest and jail.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Believe as you wish  but don't  try to  put your beliefs into practice.

A misunderstanding. What I intended to convey was that my understanding is that in Thailand it is acceptable to defend yourself against trespass, not that it was my personal belief. However, I pretty much feel that, either way, if some guy comes to your property with devilry mind, your intervention is quite legitimate. I'm not going to argue the legalities because what would be the point?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

I had somebody break a window in my place in a steroid rage. He was off his trolley. Would I had had the length of bamboo stick I keep now, to whack him round the ear at the time. I don't think he would have had a case against me. This isn't nannyville. It's what most Thais would have done IMHO. And it's a very strange invocation not to practice what you preach, or stand up for yourself, or your beliefs. You think the police will?

Thais yes mate !!!  i agree can defend against these yabba ect ect takers but as a foreigner..i wouldn't rate my chances who's side BIB would take..

• Like 2

A tiny, tiny man completely lacking in self esteem, who knows nothing about himself, and has never spent a single moment during his lifetime introspecting or bothering to get to know himself, cannot handle rejection of any sort. 

You were warned, you little punk. Yet, you continued to make a nuisance of yourself, and you were put down like a dog. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Silencer said:

No legal right to defend yourself in your own property against an intruder?

21 hours ago, bradiston said:

I believe any trespass is defendable by whatever means comes to hand.

I'm sure that Thailand's legal system will reflect that which prevails in most civilized countries in that, yes - you do have the right to defend yourself against an intruder.

But that right only extends to using the minimum force necessary to prevent any harm coming to you or your family.

Shooting an unarmed intruder goes well beyond that criteria and there was no mention that the ex son-in-law was armed in any way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I'm sure that Thailand's legal system will reflect that which prevails in most civilized countries in that, yes - you do have the right to defend yourself against an intruder.

But that right only extends to using the minimum force necessary to prevent any harm coming to you or your family.

Shooting an unarmed intruder goes well beyond that criteria and there was no mention that the ex son-in-law was armed in any way.

So here's the thing. He's kicking your door in, and you politely enquire if he's armed? The cxxxx got no business being on your property trying to force an entry, threatening violence, in the first place. Actions have consequences. Self defense. You have to assume the worst. I think your instincts would tell you the same. Self preservation mode. Humans at their most lethal. Everything's fair game at that point. Him or me.

16 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife has a gun. It's 400 km or so away in Nan, when our daughter reaches 18 or so, it will be in our house. 

If a shooting situation arises, it would probably be wise to let your wife, or daughter, do it. I wouldn't want to face a Thai court on a murder charge.