Thailand road carnage: Nation's latest "at-the-scene" fatalities - it's getting even worse, three more a day

webfact

22 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Was there not a survey done on Thai traffic police recently that exposed 70% of them could not answer basic questions on the Thai Highway Code?

Is that not because they have to pay for their positions, so what they know about the highway code (if there is one) does not matter.

• Thanks 1

Just saying its the cops fault is nonsense and lack of knowledge about why this is happening.

It is all about education of people.  Start in elementary school like they do in many western countries with continued education, in vehicle training, and stricter requirements/testing to obtain a license.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 7491 said:

if I may, in my view ……

”Poor driver and rider training is the major cause.

Lack of helmet wearing, drunk driving, lack of proper police enforcement and political lip service to the issue are contributing factors

A122CB56-3963-431A-A0D7-555B1EDFECCA.jpeg.9561144a39c695468c060fe521a91a1b.jpeg

”Poor driver and rider training is the major cause." It may be, but IMO common sense is about 80% of driving and riding motorbikes, and you cannot train stupid.

Most of the Thai population do not have a lot of common sense so driver and rider training will not help much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Black Angus said:

Police need to started enforcing the law on Helmets on a regular bases. At the same time helmets need to be made for the job intended. Not what is on the market now for poor people to buy, a piece of plastic that just about keeps the rain out and does nothing when you hid the ground to protect your head. My helmet cost (BMW) Police issue £400.  But you can buy decent one for around £100/150.  What price a life or serious injury????

So you think a poor thai family of four should fork out 25,000 baht for good helmets. It's OK to moralise when you earn big money.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thunglom said:

I believe some States still hand out driving licences at 14 and 15 year-olds

In the US, 15 yr olds can get "permits" (not licenses), which means they can drive for practice with a parent or another adult. 
Licenses are given at 16, after they pass a written test and a road test. Traffic laws are heavily enforced. If you get so many points off your license for offenses (I think 3 points?), they revoke it for a long time, depending on offenses. If you're caught driving on a suspended license you get arrested. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:16 PM, ezzra said:

Way too many fatalities for 66 million people, and wait when they legalize the growing of marijuana and drivers will partake in using it now that it is legal...

Maybe they will get high instead of drinking. Far lesser of two evils.

16 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

They won't wear helmets, but they ALL wear a mask on a motorbike. Even when driving alone! Can someone explain this logic to me? It's baffling.
If the Thai govt can use the same tactics as they do to get people to wear masks, for helmets as well, I think it would be a huge improvement.

"Can someone explain this logic to me? It's baffling."

Perhaps I can explain it, I am not saying it is right, but someone riding a motorbike, going into several places, shops etc, would not be bothered taking his/her mask on and off all the time, especially a girl with long hair. So it makes sense to keep it on all the time, but what does not make sense is not wearing a helmet.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Lots of police in Thailand but zero policing.

They don't need any qualifications, it is not like TJ Hooker types who have to pass police academy tests.

All they need is enough money to pay the clowns who run the RTP, then "Hey Presto!" they

are policemen.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

The police here are completely useless, when it comes to traffic safety. They have no interest in acting as a deterrent. None. They are to safety, what Mylie Cyrus is to nuclear physics. They are the very definition of indifferent. They are a large part of the problem. 

"They are to safety, what Mylie Cyrus is to nuclear physics."

Or what Stallone is to acting, or Peltin Elton is to singing. :cheesy: 

5 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I don't think that something being legal or illegal bothers a Thai much, it would however be illegal to drive while under the influence of marijuana but then so is drink driving.....enough said. In the UK DUI of drugs has overtaken drink driving and even though the police are equipped with drug testing swipes for cocaine and marijuana they seem powerless to stop it, even old ladies get arrested now after testing positive for drugs. The thing is I doubt if the police have the equipment to test for drug driving and since they aren't even very gung ho on drink driving I suspect that accidents will now climb as joints will now be dirt cheap and freely available and also not so detectable at a roadside stop.

"I don't think that something being legal or illegal bothers a Thai much,"

It doesn't bother me much either, as the people in Thailand who make up the rules are mainly in their position of authority because they paid for it in some way, and have no more common sense than the average Somchai in the street. 

On 1/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, webfact said:

poor driver and rider training and political lip service to the issue are cited as contributing factors. 

Can anyone enlighten me on what the political 'lip service' actually involves ?

On 1/21/2022 at 8:43 AM, webfact said:

warned that not slowing down for bends is particularly dangerous.

Glad that was pointed out, who'd have thunk ?

3 hours ago, Henryford said:

So you think a poor thai family of four should fork out 25,000 baht for good helmets. It's OK to moralise when you earn big money.

Then the government should subsidise helmet production and enforce mandatory helmet laws instead of doing absolutely nothing. 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:16 AM, ezzra said:

Way too many fatalities for 66 million people, and wait when they legalize the growing of marijuana and drivers will partake in using it now that it is legal...

Oh PLEASE stop your blathering on about a subject you know completely nothing about, as with Nuts-in government, They are NOT going to legalize MARIJUANA ! they are talking about legalizing HEMP ! at no more than 0.2% THC you'd have to use 100 grams just to get mildly stoned.   As you say  'I know nothing.. Sgt. Schultz .' 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:16 AM, ezzra said:

You've raised this issue, in one form or another several times now and yet, from what I read your comments are irrelevant. According to a recent article:

'But ASEAN NOW cautions that recreational drug users look set to be disappointed. Whatever happens people will only be able to grow what amounts to hemp - plants that have less than 0.2% THC, the drug that makes users high'.

Those that aspire to using the more affective version are probably doing so already.

I think that alcohol and Ya Ba will continue to be the main problem.

13 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

35,000 deaths per 330,000,000 population vs 25,000 deaths per 70,000,000.

The developed country wins in your comparison.

It's not easily comparable: what is the percentage of the 330,000,000 riding a bike?

Ever seen in US hundreds of bikers waiting for the green light at a Bkk intersection?  Most of them trying to get a pole position - not so different view as the GP racing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I disagree. Stallone is fun. He was great in the Rocky and Rambo films. Not sure anyone else could have played that part. He is a one of a kind. He had been nominated for 3 Oscars. One as a writer for Rocky. One as an actor for Rocky and also as a supporting actor for Creed. He won the Golden Globe for Creed. Not bad for the son of a NYC hairdresser. What he has accomplished is quite impressive. I admire him alot. 

Prayuth is a one of a kind too. But in a very pathetic, sad and forlorn manner. A highly unimpressive man. 

And yet he is where he is, his performance maybe unimpressive but for a pathetic man he has done rather well for himself, he seized the bull by the horns at the beginning and has even managed to keep his job through political manipulation, not a man to be underestimated, far from pathetic.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Henryford said:

Real makes a good helmet for 2,000 baht. If a family is willing to spend 12,000 baht on a smartphone or 10,000 baht on a tablet for the kids to play on, surely 2,000 baht for a good helmet, for the primary breadwinner for the family is not alot to spend.

It is more a question of priorities, and lack thereof, or a sense of immortality, or indifference. I just don't know. I can't make sense of the willingness to get on a motorbike on these roads, and not be willing to protect one's head. 

Just ask yourself, do I, or my family have any problems now, which would not be magnified by a broken skull, paralysis, or death? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

And yet he is where he is, his performance maybe unimpressive but for a pathetic man he has done rather well for himself, he seized the bull by the horns at the beginning and has even managed to keep his job through political manipulation, not a man to be underestimated, far from pathetic.

Well, you can argue that he is effective at manipulating the system, corrupting everything and everyone around him, and maintaining power. But, how effective has he been at running the economy, restoring tourism, and bringing happiness to the people? So, at a minimum, he has created a sad and truly dismal result. That is pathetic. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, alextrat1966 said:

I'm sure if you went ahead and bought helmets for them. they would wear them! 

You are comparing a face mask worth 5 THB (and sometimes even gifted away) with a helmet (which even the worse quality ones will be in the hundredths of baht).

I think he is comparing the total uselessness of a mask on a motorbike (it accomplishes absolutely nothing, other than making petrified Thais a tiny bit less scared) with the high function and safety factor of a good helmet on a motorbike. 

The helmet makes infinitely more sense. The mask does nothing on a moving vehicle. It is the height of insanity and fear of the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Can someone explain this logic to me? It's baffling."

Perhaps I can explain it, I am not saying it is right, but someone riding a motorbike, going into several places, shops etc, would not be bothered taking his/her mask on and off all the time, especially a girl with long hair. So it makes sense to keep it on all the time, but what does not make sense is not wearing a helmet.

That’s it. Regards girls and helmets, it is just not cool to wear one (particularly uni students) and will mess with their hair. Seeing them riding along shading their eyes from the sun with one hand, all the while with the helmet say safely in the basket, is a bit disconcerting. 

On masks; while both are a legal requirement, they are the obvious mandatory ‘in-thing’ and will more likely get one a fine then not wearing a helmet. 

• Like 1

The road deaths are indeed shocking and will need a cultural shift for things to change in earnest, we all know that. And having lost friends, it is especially emotive. However, taking into account innumerable close shaves, I generally still prefer to drive/ride there, esp long distance. If you’ve got your head screwed on and keep your wits about you, it’s ok. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think he is comparing the total uselessness of a mask on a motorbike (it accomplishes absolutely nothing, other than making petrified Thais a tiny bit less scared) with the high function and safety factor of a good helmet on a motorbike. 

The helmet makes infinitely more sense. The mask does nothing on a moving vehicle. It is the height of insanity and fear of the Zombie Apocalypse. 

Yes but a face mask costs nothing to acquire, so it’s not wonder they wear it. A helmet however useful, costs more than many make in a month! 

Quote:   

Lack of helmet wearing and drunk driving are cited as two major causes. 

Lack of proper police enforcement, poor driver and rider training and political lip service to the issue are cited as                  contributing factors. 

Shouldn't this read:

Lack of proper police enforcement of helmet wearing and pro-active apprehension of drunk drivers are the two major causes.

Lack of government enforcement of effective driver and rider training, are cited as contributing factors. 

Political lip service to the issue illustrates how the government and the Law are totally disinterested in every aspect of daily life in the land of daily catastrophic fatalities.

Edited by Bundooman
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BadSpottedDog said:

In the US, 15 yr olds can get "permits" (not licenses), which means they can drive for practice with a parent or another adult. 
Licenses are given at 16, after they pass a written test and a road test. Traffic laws are heavily enforced. If you get so many points off your license for offenses (I think 3 points?), they revoke it for a long time, depending on offenses. If you're caught driving on a suspended license you get arrested. 

for Kansas - it's 14

• Present acceptable proof of identity
  • Testing required: Vision. Written - or certificate of completion from driver education.
  • Parental approval required: Yes for 14 and 15 year olds
  • Driver education required: No
  • Driving restrictions: Licensed adult in front seat at all times - minimum age 21
  • Wireless restriction: No use of wireless communication devices except to report illegal activity or to summons medical or emergency help
  • Passenger restriction: No
  • Time required to be held: 1 year to advance to restricted license

about 4 other states have 14year old limit

many more it's 15 years.

In UK and other countries it's 17 for car and you have to be accompanied too and there is even a post test probationary period.

Edited by Thunglom
  • Sad 1