YouTube video opens window into the human tragedy of carnage on the Thai roads - 13 year old dead on the tarmac

webfact

7pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported on yet another road death - this time a 13 year old boy.

But their video - age restricted but available for view on YouTube - should be seen as an example of the pitiful waste of life on Thailand's roads, suggests ASEAN NOW.

It is not for the faint hearted, but then the damning statistics on the Thai roads cannot be ignored. Perhaps 25,000 die annually - 80% motorcyclists, many of them children. 

A white sheet barely conceals the tragedy after two 13 year olds collided with a 10 wheel truck at a t-junction leading to Samut Prakan Hospital in Pak Nam sub-district south east of the Thai capital Bangkok.

A hand sticks out from under the sheet reminding us that a young human being is lying dead under there.

There are bloodstains on the road. 

Rescue services treat one other stain with what looks like sand - presumably to make it less slippery for anyone following after.

A policeman looks on rather haplessly.

A loud reporter badgers those at the scene for information.

The truck driver is clearly shaken as he says over and over that he didn't see the boys on the motorcycle that now lies in the road. 

He clearly wonders what's coming next for him.

The boy who survived with minor injuries explains how they were going to see a friend when tragedy struck.

There is no mention of helmets or sight of such protection at the scene. 

It's just another senseless death of a young person on the Thai roads.

Another tragic statistic. 

Aetna Platinum+ Light on premium, great on coverage

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-01-21

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 5

So many stupid unreasonable rules over Covid, 

So many Thais scared Sh- - - - -s that they might catch Covid.

And then they get on a bike !!! 
And the government turns a bling eye to the fact that more die on Thai roads than have died from Covid.

DUMFOUNDED. EXASPERATED, INCREDULOUS, will there ever be and end to this multiple stupidity.

The powers that be are supposed to be intelligent! Is’nt about time to prove it and stop this carnage ???

• Like 2

2 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

My wife didn't drive in Thailand she was too scared to.  So she learnt in England and is now a great safe driver. So Thai's have it in them to be good drivers they just need the right guidance and training. 

I have no argument with you, you have the perfect solution... training.

But you might remind yourself how much was the total learning cost in England [my home country]

Thais would simply say they cannot afford such a mandatory scheme.

Money here is hard to come-by, kids are expendable.

That's the culture here... not safety .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
2 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

My wife didn't drive in Thailand she was too scared to.  So she learnt in England and is now a great safe driver. So Thai's have it in them to be good drivers they just need the right guidance and training. 

I have no argument with you, you have the perfect solution... training.

But you might remind yourself how much was the total learning cost in England [my home country]

Money here is hard to come-by, kids are expendable.

That's the culture here... not safety .

@englishinsiam I wonder if and how the driving of your wife, and others who trained outside of Thailand, changes in Thailand.

Personally I adapt in different ways. I.e. in Thailand I look left and right and front and rear because you never know where they come from. And I never accelerate only because the light switches to green. Better wait a second or two. But I don't look too much if I am under the legal speed limit because nobody checks (at least in town).

Back "home" I look almost constantly at my speedometer because if I drive too fast it cost a lot of money and/or the license is gone. But I can be pretty sure that people stop at red lights and I don't have to expect vehicles from anywhere.

I think we all adapt after a while.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The truck driver is clearly shaken as he says over and over that he didn't see the boys on the motorcycle that now lies in the road. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He clearly wonders what's coming next for him.

Nothing should be coming. But perhaps something should be coming towards their parents 

• Thanks 1

Here's a ridiculous and novel idea; How about the filthy, filthy rich of Thailand pay for the upkeep/cleaning of the roads, safety and educational programs across the next decade or two, supplying good learning (western standard) testing centres for drivers and riders, and free quality helmets for all Thai's for life (along with a national media campaign to make them cool to wear).

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who watches these videos or pictures?

Is it not enough to know that a (young) person was killed in an accident?

Do people really have to see a mangled body and lots of blood on the street to understand what it means to die in such an accident?

Well, it seems that the Thais do. If such footage was shown every night instead of their pathetic always-the-same-story dramas then some of what they see might sink into their ignorant skulls. Might. For some.

2 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Money here is hard to come-by,

Oh, not again. All Thais are poor. Utter nonsense. If they can afford to buy a bike or car then they aren't poor. They just can't be bothered to learn how to drive properly. Too lazy. Too much trouble. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Here is the statistic for Thailand for the 14th January:

51 deaths (45 motorcyclists, 4 passengers, 2 pedestrians)

The average for this year is 49 deaths per day

There was recently an accident in the UK that involved one or two deaths (I didn't read up on it) and it made the national news on tv as it was so unusual.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Here is the statistic for Thailand for the 14th January:

51 deaths (45 motorcyclists, 4 passengers, 2 pedestrians)

The average for this year is 49 deaths per day

...and sadly these are only the recorded numbers of deaths at the scene of the accident. How many more die on the way to, or in the hospitals? That is never published if it is even ever recorded.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Here's a ridiculous and novel idea; How about the filthy, filthy rich of Thailand pay for the upkeep/cleaning of the roads, safety and educational programs across the next decade or two, supplying good learning (western standard) testing centres for drivers and riders, and free quality helmets for all Thai's for life (along with a national media campaign to make them cool to wear).

"Here's a ridiculous ... idea...".

You're right, ridiculous.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, englishinsiam said:

So sad but this happens every day.  

Every day many Thai families lose a loved one or loved ones.  

There needs to be a radical change in culture on the roads.  They need to realise an amulet or Buddhist writing won't save them.  

My wife didn't drive in Thailand she was too scared to.  So she learnt in England and is now a great safe driver. So Thai's have it in them to be good drivers they just need the right guidance and training.  And they need to want to improve as well.  

When I drive there I am so defensive I treat everyone around me like a brain dead fool.  I expect people to come out at traffic lights.  I expect someone to drive the wrong way towards me.  I expect a lorry to pull out in front of me at a U turn point.  And I watch the races from the lights where they all have to be first.  

Yes my wife also passed her test in the Uk and won’t travel as a passenger with some of her family

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Who watches these videos or pictures?

Is it not enough to know that a (young) person was killed in an accident?

Do people really have to see a mangled body and lots of blood on the street to understand what it means to die in such an accident?

No!! But people cannot believe how stupid are the parents here, that they let their kids drive around with motorbikes without driving licenses. This parents must be locked in prison.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Oh, not again. All Thais are poor. Utter nonsense. If they can afford to buy a bike or car then they aren't poor. They just can't be bothered to learn how to drive properly. Too lazy. Too much trouble. 

I said, that's what they would say as an argument...

I didn't say I agreed with it.

Look at the kick-back when they tried to stop them riding in the rear-bed of pick-ups, instead of buying another or more suitable vehicle.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

surly the stupid parents know 16 yrs is age to ride a m/bike with a license, too obvious they did love or care about their

own children 

That's true, their attitude will probably be  "we need kids to look after us financially when we get old so we will just go to bed and make another one. 

7 hours ago, Road Warrior said:

surly the stupid parents know 16 yrs is age to ride a m/bike with a license, too obvious they did love or care about their

own children 

15 years they must been old to make a driving license for a 110ccm bike