"Thai style" beaches in Phuket?

YaesuBottyLove

I wonder whether there are any beaches in Phuket which are oriented to Thais like at Cha Am, Ao Manao etc - where deckchairs are set out around low tables under parasols, and you can order food and drink from vendors etc.

If there aren't any like that in Phuket, does anyone know where the closest one is?

Thanks

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I will be of some help to him having lived here a long time, On the west coast all the beaches are busy right now I drive past a small beach in the south of the island Yanui Beach everyday is very busy almost no parking.

Go to the east side of the island and explore the coastline you will find deserted beaches there it is more local people use, if you are feeling really adventurous drive off the island and keep to the coast to a place called Thai Muang and then on to Khao Lak Im sure you will find what you are looking for somewhere.

If you are feeling really adventurous take a boat trip to Rok Island absolutely superb not sure if any of the speed boat companies are going there just yet,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I thought it was dirty also

Yes...the GF drove us down once for a day trip...never again. Not my scene at all...and she remembers different times going down on Sunday with her family as a kid....not her scene now either. 

• Like 1

Short answer for the OP ... not really, as it's a "Thai thing" as stated for BKK weekenders, and Phuket is geared more toward the Intern'l tourist.  You'll find vendors & restaurants on the edge / street side, but nothing like you describe, or that I've seen anyway.  No market for it, and doesn't sell well to the int'l crowd.

Kamala was the most comfy, I thought, one section havin a couple restaurants few steps from the sand.  Kata has a street vendor section.  Surin has a line of vendors also, steps from the sand.

I visit Ao Manao quite frequently, and hand out at southern end, just to avoid that 'seating' area of the sand, for all the reason point out previously.

Edited by KhunLA

Thais go to the beach to eat<
so the place they usually visit is Rawai for the various restaurants overlooking the beach 

or some of the "on the water restaurants" north of the island near the bridge

they dont go to sit in the sun ????

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

Thais go to the beach to eat<
so the place they usually visit is Rawai for the various restaurants overlooking the beach 

or some of the "on the water restaurants" north of the island near the bridge

they dont go to sit in the sun ????

It was busy down there this weekend even around 5 pm

Any weekend the Thais set up camp and barbecues at Layan beach inside the National Park - the dual pricing admission scares away most farangs! There are also a few food stalls.

In addition, the National Park at the south end of Nai Yang gets absolutely packed in the same way on public holidays.

Edited by London Lowf

2 hours ago, London Lowf said:

Any weekend the Thais set up camp and barbecues at Layan beach inside the National Park - the dual pricing admission scares away most farangs! There are also a few food stalls.

In addition, the National Park at the south end of Nai Yang gets absolutely packed in the same way on public holidays.

Concur with this, Dream Beach at the northern end of Layan may be the same place as you are referring to in your post. Mostly Locals there. I have never been charged there but must admit haven’t ventured there for 8-9 months. No deckchairs but very popular with the locals and plenty of food stalls at the weekend. 

Nanyang before the town also has many food vendors. 

Our favorite at least in dry season is Naithon  In between the two above mentioned. Still no deck chairs, bring your own or a mat. Plenty of food vendors along the road at the back of the beach. More tourists usually on this beach though plenty of Thai families at the weekend and late afternoon. 

8 hours ago, tonray said:

I think he means where there is endless noise, kids running around without diapers, street racing boys with loud exhausts ruining your entire experience. That's what Cha Am or Bang Saen beaches are like.

Gave up on Cha-am years ago.... you can't see the beach for deckchairs and umbrellas, the beach-side of the road is a car park for those who don't walk more than 5 ft.

You sit in close proximity to smoking BBQ's of chicken with the smoke giving you a better tan than the sun.

No thanks.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tonray said:

Yes...the GF drove us down once for a day trip...never again. Not my scene at all...and she remembers different times going down on Sunday with her family as a kid....not her scene now either. 

I used to spend a lot of time in Cha'am many years ago, it was lovely. 

I don't think you will find anywhere on Phuket to match your criteria.

Rawai though good food/drink could not be classed as a beach.

Perhaps Naiharn might appeal to you:

Middle Naiharn Beach might be OK. Watch from 5.45 for amenities.

Suggest go late afternoon and swim, eat and watch sunset!

Edited by LosLobo

Thank you all for your input.

I didn't mean no farang, just want somewhere shaded where food and cold beer is brought to you and you can sit for a few relaxing hours. (Ao Manao when it is quiet fits that perfectly.) I will try Rawai (waterfront restaurants) and the north and east beaches (buy a deckchair).

Bangtao beach looks like the filth on the photos above: full of umbrellas, deckchairs and cheap Thai food joints nearby. Looks totally f#cked comparing to other pristine Phuket beaches. Surin was in similar state prior pandemic, but I heard no beach chairs there, just lots of street food on the road along the beach. Hopefully such cancer won't spread to other beaches and Phuket stays beautiful..

8 hours ago, London Lowf said:

So they charge the park fee at Layan now?

I didn't use to pay before corona when I went there.

Did see some rangers on the south end of Nai Yang some weeks ago as well.

Seems like they are getting greedier all the time. 

3 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Please tell me the name of just one pristine Phuket beach.

All the ones I visited last time looked excellent ... 

.... without tourist ... ????

Even Rawai looked great, considering it's not a 'swimmer's' beach.

A playlist of, please point out what's not pristine:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, YaesuBottyLove said:

Thank you all for your input.

I didn't mean no farang, just want somewhere shaded where food and cold beer is brought to you and you can sit for a few relaxing hours. (Ao Manao when it is quiet fits that perfectly.) I will try Rawai (waterfront restaurants) and the north and east beaches (buy a deckchair).

Feel free to see for yourself of course, but Rawai beach is not a beach in the sense that you can enjoy the beach. At high tide, there is no beach. At low tide, you can barely walk on the sand hopping between the boat lines with the longboat engines deafening you. On the asphalt side, the incessant traffic will deafen you too.

Only the east part, close to the pier, has a few restaurants that will bring you food, with the waiters trying their luck crossing the road, so yes you can enjoy an hour dining and looking at the sea in-between the boats, or at the russian girls on the road side.

Hardly "sit for a few relaxing hours".

I'd say that Nai Harn and Ya Nui are more like it. A couple of stands just by the beach will bring you a cold beer and there are chairs and sunshades for rent. Beware of the dogs, and near to sunset be prepared to be featured in someone's instagram.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Please point out what's not pristine:

What is not pristine?

The fecal coliform count.

Decimated coral gardens at Nai Thon due to sedimentary run off from the illegal development on the mountainside.

I have been here a long time.  Last thing you want to do is take me on regarding Phuket beaches. I know every inch of them, above and below the water:

Edited by Adumbration
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Without tourist, I would expect the fecal count to be 'acceptable', as all the visits to Phuket, I've never had an ear infection.  Although, I usually never go high season.  Feb 2021 was pristine without tourist.

If fecal count is you bar for pristine, then no beach visited by tourist is pristine, anywhere.  I visit plenty of non-tourist beaches that are pristine, but I'd never post about them, just for that reason.  No tourist, no fecal count.  

Sort of like, YOU are the reason, they aren't pristine.