Jump to content

Number of foreigners on retirement visas


Recommended Posts

Watching a news update recently they said "35,846 foreigners have obtained retirement visas" for the year.  The number seems low to me but maybe that is just because the majority are all living in Pattaya along with me.

 

I don't know if this is all the people on retirement visas or maybe just people on O-A visas. I saw something that said in 2018 there were 80,000 retirement visas. Have the number of foreigners on retirement visas been cut in half in 3 years?

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"Have the number of foreigners on retirement visas been cut in half in 3 years?"

 

As stated, 'no income letters' from some, most embassies, so now people have to verify the funds / income they 'claimed'.   Guessing many couldn't and moved on, or if married, changed visas.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FriendlyFarang said:

The people who are living along you are probably mostly on a retirement extension. They don't obtain retirement visas, so they don't get counted.

It is not clear to me what is and isn't included in the 35K number.

 

Is the 35K number just for new visas? I enter Thailand on a non imm O-A but have done extensions of stay, so am I not counted in this 35K? If someone entered with a 30 day visa exemption and than converted to a Non Imm O based on retirement would they be counted the 1st year and then not included on any extensions?

 

The drop as a result of people switching from retirement to marriage made sense to me.

 

Thanks for the feedback it is not really important but was curious.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never met a Canadian in Chiayaphum I have never seen more the a dozen foreigners. The Canadian Embassy tells me there are over a hundred cm Canadians living in the province? 😕😕😕😕

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, arick said:

I have never met a Canadian in Chiayaphum I have never seen more the a dozen foreigners. The Canadian Embassy tells me there are over a hundred cm Canadians living in the province? 😕😕😕😕

Pre-Covid the US Consulate here in Chiang Mai had stated they provided service for some 40,000 Americans in Northern Thailand but, that covered all ... retirees, employed, married to a Thai. So there was no breakdown in the total. I am curious, one would think the Thai government would have the numbers of foreigner long term Visa holders and incoming short term tourists.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PeachCH said:

 You said: Hopefully one day, they stop the agents revolving door at Imm

 

This day never will come. These payments are "part of the salary" for  many immigration employees. It's no more so easy for the agents like before, but they always find a way around with the Immigration and Bangkok Bank. 

Would the agent being stopped, at least 30% of Pattaya's Falang population would be "whipped out". (This quote from a Pattaya agent) 

 

Absolutely true! As often mentioned, many Brits receiving State Pension only. Also, it is these retirees who almost certainly cannot afford health cover and believe it'll never happen to them.

  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

It’s perfectly legitimate to complain about corruption while having to go along with it in order to get things done. We didn’t make the rules of the game here but we are obliged to play by them.

Hence the problem, and the perfect 'rationality' of a hypocrite.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The number is meaningless unless they define which categorles are included. But anyone who is paying attention has noticed a significant percentage of retired expat drainage due to immigration policy changes. Its not only about the income letters. The onerous changes with the 800k account rules were a big factor as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DefaultName said:

I'd love a retirement visa.  I'm off to Immigration today to renew my retirement extension on my Non-O visa.

Yeah but there is a good chance those are included. But we don't know.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Pre-Covid the US Consulate here in Chiang Mai had stated they provided service for some 40,000 Americans in Northern Thailand but, that covered all ... retirees, employed, married to a Thai. So there was no breakdown in the total. I am curious, one would think the Thai government would have the numbers of foreigner long term Visa holders and incoming short term tourists.

You would think they also have record of our address, we have to tell them every 90 days 🙄

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, EricTh said:

@biervoormij

 

I am surprised why aseannow didn't report that interesting article.

 

The top 3 nationalities are..... drums rolling

 

A total of 35,846 foreigners have obtained retirement visas with the top three nationalities being British, Germans and Americans.

 

BTW, Are you dutch?

"BTW, are you dutch?".....i think south African ;-))

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They can get retirement visas with 25 000 Baht in an envelope 

Must have gone up - when I lived in Thailand I paid 20,000 Baht!!

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Said someone deluding themselves that things are the way they wish it were despite the reality. I easily meet the criteria for money brought into the country monthly but recently it was made extremely difficult for me on daft objections (why did I bring in so MUCH money- 3x the amount required actually!) . Clearly I was being pushed into using a agent for someone to get their cut. What should I do in that case , leave the country or pay an agent? 

You paid for the services of an agent, instead of the 'extra' cost of transferring funds for direct deposit ... 🤔

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, nchuckle said:

Said someone deluding themselves that things are the way they wish it were despite the reality. I easily meet the criteria for money brought into the country monthly but recently it was made extremely difficult for me on daft objections (why did I bring in so MUCH money- 3x the amount required actually!) . Clearly I was being pushed into using a agent for someone to get their cut. What should I do in that case , leave the country or pay an agent? 

Tips make the World go 'round.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

They can get retirement visas with 25 000 Baht in an envelope 

You’re getting ripped off mate. I’ve been paying 13,000 Baht for years and didn’t even have to walk into the immigration office this year. Just went to the side window by the alley🙏🗿🇹🇭🤷‍♂️

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...