Virology expert says cross-vaccination in booster dose produces very high immunity against Covid

snoop1130

1. Always good to hear Yong's pearls of wisdom.

2. And, good to hear that the vaccines are proving to be somewhat better than just an injection of a saline solution. (I presume all these studies had control groups?)

3. These kinds of reports cited here just collect and report data - which could just as easily be done by a junior lab assistant? ... and leave our "top virologist" free to roll his sleves up and do new and real research into new treatments.

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Wrong. There is no absolute immunity to covid-19 on a population wide basis. But there is immunity. This is why immunity is assigned a percentage comparing those vaccinated to the unvaccinated.

1. Indeed, it would be unethical, I suppose, to also compare results with a group that received only a placebo (e.g. a saline solution, or a vaccine spoiled by incorrect storage).

2. Nevertheless, I always find it odd - and it causes me to wonder - that they say some vaccine is say "98% effective" in preventing something, when it appears to be the case that say 98% of people either don't contract the disease, or get only a mild or asymptomatic form.

(Disclaimer: I don't read research reports. In the best traditions of being a ThaiVisa member, I just hold unsupported opinions.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a complex, evolving, subject, and the powers that be seem to be continually behind the curve.  Personally, I find Dr. John Campbell's stuff to be objective and based on the data, even though, horror of horror's, he's a YouTube presenter. A recent interview with Professor Robert Clancy was particularly interesting. 

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Wrong. There is no absolute immunity to covid-19 on a population wide basis. But there is immunity. This is why immunity is assigned a percentage comparing those vaccinated to the unvaccinated.

..don't agree at all.

My reference is Professor V. Racianello podcast series This Week in Virology.

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Dr. Yong said this study was presented as a ’pre-print’ article in The Lancet.

Dr. Yong said this study was presented as a ’pre-print’ article in The Lancet.”

This wreaks highly as “not ready for primetime” and misleading, IMO. Sounds like a familiar and common theme. Why do we continue to compound what has already been rushed? I’m sure some who are among the dwindling population of rabid pro-vaxxers will be on here giving their seething opinions. Maybe I’m wrong, but it seems there is an ever-growing groundswell of skepticism around ‘the science’ and various governments who want to force this on everyone, including children. And there are many reasons why people don’t trust big pharma, big government and science. Just my opinion and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone.

A post with a video from an unapproved social media source has been removed. 

18) Social Media content is acceptable in most social forums. However, in factual areas such as news, current affairs and health topics, it cannot be used unless it is from a credible news media source or government agency, and must include a weblink to the original source.

7 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Reporting commenting on other studies now he should get his own government off their butt and get vaccines like Pfizer,  Moderna,  for everyone!  and it should all be free!  

Pfizer is offered for free since quite a while. Even here in the sticks. Moderna? Not that I know. I paid for it at a private hospital. Got it as 3rd shot on December 17.

I had an "IgG" antibody test done on Jan 3 and had a tremendous value of 8000.

It's "fascinating" to read how the forum Covid experts axe a Thai doctor citing studies and proven results from reputable sources.

What else do you think a German health minister (calling himself a medical expert) does all day?

Unfortunately the outcome is panic and confusion.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

It seems rather clear at this point that the level of immunity is going to wane whether it is from an actual infection or a vaccine.  The longevity varies, but not by a lot.  That is how the immune system, it produces antibodies in the face of an infection and when the infection is over the antibodies disappear.  They are no longer needed.   The various memory cells, however, are armed with the ability to jump into action should a new infection come along, but that part of the immune system takes time to react.   

If you are exposed when antibodies are high, there is a good chance you will not get sick and may not even test positive.  If the antibodies have largely waned, then the virus gets a chance to get 'seeded' and you will experience an infection, at least until the immune system has time to start producing antibodies again.  Since the body knows exactly what it is fighting, the response is quicker and efficient.   Thus we see people who are vaccinated still getting an infection, but tending not to get seriously ill.   

So, if you want a high level of immunity and antibodies it will very likely require repeated boosters.   With many viral infections, they occur seasonally (or on some identifiable timetable), so we boost for them as the risk rises.  With Covid, it's everywhere all the time and that presents unusual challenges.   

• Like 1