Neighbor's second hand smoke is driving me nuts.

@DowntownAl

I was in the same situation as you. A nasty neighbour moved in at the next condo unit and is a heavy smoker. He even smoked at 3 am in the morning a few times while I was sleeping.

I am allergic to cigarette smoke and you should ask him to smoke downstairs or outside the condo.

If he doesn't listen, then complain to the condo management. If not, just ask your landlord to complain to condo management if mgmt won't do anything about it.

I know it's a bummer but we do live with a lot of inconsiderate and selfish people in this world.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

On 2/4/2022 at 7:16 PM, MrJ2U said:

You'll need to contact the owner.

He probably doesn't want a smoker in his condo also stinking up the place and making trouble with neighbors.

Its probably in the rental contract like "No  Pets".

What a pain in the ass.

Horrible.

They should have Shi* ho** condos just for smokers.

Has it crossed your mind the owner has probably told renter to smoke on the balcony

25 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

The choice is communicate and be considerate of one another. It's the lack of consideration that enrages people, not so much the smoking.

No restaurant owner wants to hurt his business by excluding customers. Nor would a condo developer. 

I might like to listen to my music robustly, but I have neighbours and I must consider them. 

There's a good chance that the OP's neighbour had no idea there was a problem. Reporting him is only likely to get his back up and him to dig his heels in. He has a habit, possibly linked to stress. So how is adding stress to his life going to help? Is total humiliation the goal?

Communicate pleasantly in the first instance. Then he might feel so bad about disturbing you that he is willing to try something different.

Shout at him or scold him and you'll both be upset and possibly angry.

But clearly the OP would be better off in a snow smoking facility, while the OP's neighbor would probably enjoy a building where he was free to smoke as he pleases, yes?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Quite easy on restaurants to spot those who allow to smoke or not. When we see ash trays on the table, we useally find another one to eat at, but not so easy when we did a preebooking. 

My gf hate smoke, I mean really hate smoke, so she useally take care of the matter if we eat breakfest some place, and someone lit up a smoke next to us. Smoke and breakfest do not mix good for me either. 

What I am saying is that the business should be able to designate their facility as smoking or non-smoking. Post signs that state clearly whether smoking is or is not allowed. People can choose go where smoking is allowed, or go where it is not allowed. Let the market work.

Not sure how often one would call for a booking are at a business they had never visited before, (certainly not more that once) but it would be easy enough to ask if smoking is permitted before confirming the booking, yes?

• Like 1

Feel for the op as having home invaded by smoke is not nice. Only a smoker would get all defensive at someone daring to question their life choice!

Would personally try having a polite word—they may possess empathy—before going to condo management. If no go, perhaps then tell them you were considering extending your contract, but will not if nothing is done. 

Fan curtains would work better than standard pedestal fans but are expensive. The noise would pee off smoker, but. ????

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But clearly the OP would be better off in a snow smoking facility, while the OP's neighbor would probably enjoy a building where he was free to smoke as he pleases, yes?

Troll mode today?

He already is in a non-smoking condo.

The OP already lives there. Should he move every time something happens? Loud music by a neighbour and he should move?

If you want to be anti-social, move away from people. Life isn't about doing exactly whatever you want, whenever you want.

There are millions of us in this country alone. Should we all ignore each other and do as we please or do we need to have our lives regulated because we cannot be trusted to take care of our lives in a reasonable manner?

If you know that you are upsetting your neighbours, but don't care because you want to do whatever you want to do, then what kind of person are you?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

What I am saying is that the business should be able to designate their facility as smoking or non-smoking. Post signs that state clearly whether smoking is or is not allowed. People can choose go where smoking is allowed, or go where it is not allowed. Let the market work.

Not sure how often one would call for a booking are at a business they had never visited before, (certainly not more that once) but it would be easy enough to ask if smoking is permitted before confirming the booking, yes?

Market? Is there something wrong with you? These are people, not products for sale. 

Smoking is not a natural human trait. It's a nasty habit that you've picked up; polluting your own lungs and those around you. There is no justification for it.

But, saying that, if you want to smoke, that is up to you. But do it in a way that doesn't curtail someone else's enjoyment. Be considerate and allow others to do the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

I think it best that we condominiums that allow smoking and condominiums that do not, that way people can choose.

Same with bars and restaurants. Owners that want to allow smoking should allow smoking and those that don't want to allow smoking should not allow smoking, again, giving people a choice. 

In my country it is a lot more simple.

NO SMOKING in any restaurant and bar.

This habit is so addictive, more addictive than cocaine, and given that would make any of these druggies more selfish than the average individual,  and that they would all claim the right to smoke where they chose, based on the fact that there are some places that allow it.

Ban it, for the sake of children, who do emulate adults, thinking that they know better..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Troll mode today?

He already is in a non-smoking condo.

The OP already lives there. Should he move every time something happens? Loud music by a neighbour and he should move?

If you want to be anti-social, move away from people. Life isn't about doing exactly whatever you want, whenever you want.

There are millions of us in this country alone. Should we all ignore each other and do as we please or do we need to have our lives regulated because we cannot be trusted to take care of our lives in a reasonable manner?

No, the common areas are no smoking, apparently smoking is permitted in the individual units. Please try to follow along.

13 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

If you know that you are upsetting your neighbours, but don't care because you want to do whatever you want to do, then what kind of person are you?

How would the smoker know they're annoying their neighbors? The OP is has not contacted. Again, please try to focus.

11 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

Market? Is there something wrong with you? These are people, not products for sale. 

Smoking is not a natural human trait. It's a nasty habit that you've picked up; polluting your own lungs and those around you. There is no justification for it.

But, saying that, if you want to smoke, that is up to you. But do it in a way that doesn't curtail someone else's enjoyment. Be considerate and allow others to do the same.

Is cooking food or getting drunk a natural human trait?

Having restaurants that allow smoking, and restaurants that do not allow smoking would allow for both smokers and non-smokers to be considerate of others.

Both smokers and nonsmokers would be able to enjoy their meals without curtailing the enjoyment of others, yes?

I can't imagine that you have any legal rights. Sounds like you leave your doors open? Try fans. Face the fans outside. And they might simply blow his noxious smoke away from your unit and balcony. What other options do you have? 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It happens you sit on a restaurant in a designated area for non smokers, and someone at the neighbor table walk and pick up an ashtray, and bring it back like it should be like that and look annoyed around before lighten up a cigarette! Happened quite a few times.

We travel quite a bit, and do call up in front if they have table on restaurants we search up so we do not have to drive and look around for a suitable place where we can dine. After a long day on the bikes, it the last thing you want and do not get a table and need to find another one.

7 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

Yes, ban everything you don't like or what's a problem to other people's health.

Start with alcohol, then sugar, junkfood and so on.

where does your ideology come from? North Korea?

Hehehe. So finally we agree on something.

Just took a bit of time.

Regards.

8 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

Quote 3- "A guy at the next table asked me if I would mind not smoking - I did mind and asked him if he'd mind sitting inside."

So here you are saying that it is the person who has the bad stinky habit who should be entitled to dictate to others where they can and should sit to enjoy a meal.

You might note I said I was in a bar - not a restaurant?  Smoking is banned from inside bars but most allow smoking outside.

8 hours ago, Andre0720 said:

But you do not blink an eye when you impose your views on others, such as controlling where they can sit to enjoy their meal in a restaurant.

Regards

Don't be ridiculous. Its pretty obvious why smoking is confined to outside.  One thing you might wish to consider is that smokers have rights too. I'm not trying to impose anything, I am simply saying that you, and people like you (and its obvious from the whole tone of your post),, think you are the only group that have rights and smokers should all give up because you say they should. 

I'll wager that you drink?  You state that smoking is harmful, I don't fully agree, I would say that smoking is often harmful,  Other things we do are also harmful, including drinking.  I lost both my father and my grandfather to alcohol - my grandfather smoked 60 unfiltered cigarettes per day and died at 89! People die everyday because of alcohol - either directly or indirectly but I'd guess you are not anti alcohol?

By and large, smoking has been dealt with in most countries - smoking is banned from the inside of bars and resturants and that's fine, I support that. But if you choose to sit in an area where smoking is allowed, you should not moan about it.

Having said all of that, you will not listen or consider a single word of it.  That is exactly what I mean by anti smokers trying to impose their views on others. You are anti smoking and anti choice and think your way is the only way, no matter what. I believe around 20% of people smoke but according to your thinking, they have no rights whatsoever, no right to choose what they do or what they put in their body. You need to learn that the world is not exclusively yours buddy.

Heil Anrdre!

• Like 2

On 2/4/2022 at 9:19 AM, The Hammer2021 said:

But he sends his smoke, an irritant and known health issue, to someone else's  balcony. So his actions spread beyond his property. Many countries  now have legislation that recognises this and forbids it.

You mean like all those Chinese greenhouse gases causing my global warming?

32 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

I didn't 'pick it up' - I enjoy it and have no intention of stopping.  Do you own a car or a motorbike - most probably yes. So you have no problem with your exhaust fumes polluting other people's lungs? Or do you walk everywhere to avoid that happening?

The justification is that I have a choice, you do not make other people's choices for them - please try to understand that concept, this is no China!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, the common areas are no smoking, apparently smoking is permitted in the individual units. Please try to follow along.

How would the smoker know they're annoying their neighbors? The OP is has not contacted. Again, please try to focus.

YT...take a moment.....perhaps you need to take a cigarette. Your posts are becoming increasingly bizarre.

First of all, I have suggested that the OP should have spoken to.the smoker in the first instance. If you weren't in such a haste to argue, you would not have embarrassed yourself with such a question.

Secondly:

I moved in here late 2018 there was a reassuring note on the wall of the elevator that said something like “Do not smoke on the balcony. Do not disturb your neighbor.” or words to that effect.

The OP had good cause to believe that we would be able to enjoy living without disgusting cigarette smoke invading his home.

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is cooking food or getting drunk a natural human trait?

Having restaurants that allow smoking, and restaurants that do not allow smoking would allow for both smokers and non-smokers to be considerate of others.

Both smokers and nonsmokers would be able to enjoy their meals without curtailing the enjoyment of others, yes?

Food is a necessity. Sometimes you need to cook it.

As to getting drunk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIDJ-sTuoO8

6 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

You might note I said I was in a bar - not a restaurant?  Smoking is banned from inside bars but most allow smoking outside.

Don't be ridiculous. Its pretty obvious why smoking is confined to outside.  One thing you might wish to consider is that smokers have rights too. I'm not trying to impose anything, I am simply saying that you, and people like you (and its obvious from the whole tone of your post),, think you are the only group that have rights and smokers should all give up because you say they should. 

I'll wager that you drink?  You state that smoking is harmful, I don't fully agree, I would say that smoking is often harmful,  Other things we do are also harmful, including drinking.  I lost both my father and my grandfather to alcohol - my grandfather smoked 60 unfiltered cigarettes per day and died at 89! People die everyday because of alcohol - either directly or indirectly but I'd guess you are not anti alcohol?

By and large, smoking has been dealt with in most countries - smoking is banned from the inside of bars and resturants and that's fine, I support that. But if you choose to sit in an area where smoking is allowed, you should not moan about it.

Having said all of that, you will not listen or consider a single word of it.  That is exactly what I mean by anti smokers trying to impose their views on others. You are anti smoking and anti choice and think your way is the only way, no matter what. I believe around 20% of people smoke but according to your thinking, they have no rights whatsoever, no right to choose what they do or what they put in their body. You need to learn that the world is not exclusively yours buddy.

Heil Anrdre!

Tobacco- WHO (World Health Organization)

Key facts

• Tobacco kills up to half of its users.
  • Tobacco kills more than 8 million people each year. More than 7 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 1.2 million are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.
  • Over 80% of the world's 1.3 billion tobacco users live in low- and middle-income countries.

Leading cause of death, illness and impoverishment

The tobacco epidemic is one of the biggest public health threats the world has ever faced, killing more than 8 million people a year around the world.

So please do not focus on me to get the facts straight.

Simply get in touch with all the doctors at the WHO (World Health Organization), and explain that they have it all wrong, and that you, you do know better.

Regards

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

I didn't 'pick it up' - I enjoy it and have no intention of stopping.  Do you own a car or a motorbike - most probably yes. So you have no problem with your exhaust fumes polluting other people's lungs? Or do you walk everywhere to avoid that happening?

The justification is that I have a choice, you do not make other people's choices for them - please try to understand that concept, this is no China!

No one suggested that you should stop. The suggestion is to be considerate to your neighbours if possible. 

Again, transport is often a necessity; smoking cigarettes is not. You might get it in the end.

21 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Of course you enjoy it.

This is the nature of all addictive drugs. Once addicted, people love Cocaine, Heroin, Nicotine... They really enjoy these drugs.

They serve no purpose at all, except satisfy the withdrawal symptoms of the users, nothing else. And they will all kill the user at a different pace, depending on the drug used.

Now comparing a lethal useless product, to the emissions caused by vehicles delivering food to markets, could make someone question your synaptic activities.

So just give it some thought before you post pls.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Tobacco- WHO (World Health Organization)

Key facts

• Tobacco kills up to half of its users.
  • Tobacco kills more than 8 million people each year. More than 7 million of those deaths are the result of direct tobacco use while around 1.2 million are the result of non-smokers being exposed to second-hand smoke.
  • Over 80% of the world's 1.3 billion tobacco users live in low- and middle-income countries.

Leading cause of death, illness and impoverishment

The tobacco epidemic is one of the biggest public health threats the world has ever faced, killing more than 8 million people a year around the world.

So please do not focus on me to get the facts straight.

Simply get in touch with all the doctors at the WHO (World Health Organization), and explain that they have it all wrong, and that you, you do know better.

Regards

How many die around the world from lung cancer that do not smoke ???

I suggest you make a search . The number is high 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bruno123 said:

No one suggested that you should stop. The suggestion is to be considerate to your neighbours if possible. 

Again, transport is often a necessity; smoking cigarettes is not. You might get it in the end.

The only thing I 'get' is that anti smokers have no recognition of other people's rights and seek to impose their views on others.  I am considerate - even to myself. I don't smoke in my house, even though I live alone - why? I don't like the smell of cigarette smoke either.  However, outside I don't have a problem with it - the smoke dissipates. I'd suggest those that do are simply focusing on it because of their anti-smoking views.

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

Unfortunately this is an argument you will never win.  Anti-smokers are, in my experience, totally unreasonable and incapable of taking account of the views/rights of others.  This goes to the root of the problem - the OP, rather that accepting that his neighbour is going outside to smoke and take simple measures to deal with it, seeks to find out if he can curtail his neighbour's rights and make him bow to his anti-smoking views.

I've seen anti smokers start fake coughing as soon as they see someone light up - the fact that the smoke has not and may never reach them is irrelevant, they simply want their own way and sod what others want.

Nothing to win , the facts speak for themselves . Lung cancer is not just for smokers or passive .

53 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It happens you sit on a restaurant in a designated area for non smokers, and someone at the neighbor table walk and pick up an ashtray, and bring it back like it should be like that and look annoyed around before lighten up a cigarette! Happened quite a few times.

We travel quite a bit, and do call up in front if they have table on restaurants we search up so we do not have to drive and look around for a suitable place where we can dine. After a long day on the bikes, it the last thing you want and do not get a table and need to find another one.

I'm not talking about smoking areas in restaurants, but rather some restaurants that allow smoking and some that do not. 

If you want to smoke, go to a smoking restaurant.

If you do not want to smoke, go to a nonsmoking restaurant.

Owners that want to allow smoking allow smoking, owners that do not want to allow smoking do not allow smoking. 

People get to choose were they want to go. Why is this not a reasonable solution?

• Like 1