Blue Diamond Affair At An End: Saudi Arabia, Thailand Restore Diplomatic Relations After 30-Year Feud

webfact

HopeDiamondwithLighting2-800x533.jpg

Cassia Sari

The Blue Diamond Affair reached a diplomatic resolution last week when Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Salman welcomed Thai prime minister Prayut Chan-o-cha to Saudi Arabia for the first time in more than 30 years. The restoration of full diplomatic relations is a historic event with many implications for Saudi and Thai citizens and represents a moment of calmness in the chaos of 2022.

Both countries agreed to appoint ambassadors soon and strengthen economic and trade relations upon opening their borders, according to a joint statement released by Saudi state media. “This historic step is the result of long-standing efforts at different levels to re-establish mutual confidence and friendly relations,” the statement said.

Saudi Airlines announced that flights to Thailand will resume in May, and both states indicated a labour resource agreement will come to fruition in the near future. Saudi Arabia is seeking eight million skilled workers in the hotel, healthcare, and construction industries, and the Thai government suggested it has the human resources to contribute towards filling Saudi Arabia’s labour needs. This indicator of labour sharing comes as a shock given the history of the Blue Diamond Affair.

Full story: https://theowp.org/blue-diamond-affair-at-an-end-saudi-arabia-thailand-restore-diplomatic-relations-after-30-year-feud/

owp.jpg

-- © Copyright OWP 2022-02-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Thank God they weren't flying to BKK when I was working in Saudi. 

Worst airline, glad they weren't flying to Thailand when I was working in Saudi, my company always preferred direct flights. 

Saudi Airlines..... old planes, no booze, flight attendants all men, what a horrible flight. I would fly Jeddah to Dubai (SA), then Emirates get an upgrade on the A380 to business class for the leg Dubai BKK......heaven, what a difference, chalk and cheese. 

I flew them a couple of times from London, way back in the 80s and they were not so bad... just the issue of getting an alcoholic drink. Good food I recall. I believe they went down hill a bit and I too switched to KLM as preferred. You obviously talk of recent times and they certainly had some female attendants.... For Bangkok I did the little skip over to Bahrain. 

34 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

no responsibility is taken by Thailand, not even an apology

No responsibility 

No apology 

Wow, that's where my ex gf got that attitude from, it's bred in them. 

She was bloody cold, cruel and heart less.

Pity the new bloke she's with now. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I must have missed the part where all the real jewelry including the famous blue diamond was returned to its rightful owners, and the part where justice was served to the people (likely Thai Police) that were behind the whole operation, including the shooting to death of Saudi diplomats in Bangkok and the murder of a woman and child.

I suspect most of the main players in this opera have died. This allows their successors a chance to do the "not me" dance.

• Like 1

"Saudi Arabia is seeking eight million skilled workers in the hotel, healthcare, and construction industries, and the Thai government suggested it has the human resources to contribute towards filling Saudi Arabia’s labour needs." 

What a load of bo1logz! 

I wish those Thai workers the best of luck now already; get them ready for abuse, rape and slavery conditions. Let them enjoy the Middle East's worst airline - possibly except Yemenia - and prepare them for getting short changed starting with the agency arranging their employ in the dunes of the House of Saud! 

Having said that, the Prayuths and Pravits will be long gone when the Thai hospitality is facing an even worse uphill battle. Once it becomes unavoidable to open the country without any funny little Thai-ideas of entry conditions, who will be providing the hospitality services to the 40 million tourists they expect? Tourism per se is restricted to Khon Thai on the "Alien Business Law" listing (among others its ice carving and basket weaving) and margins are that tight that you can no longer attract aliens to do the job. 

I've never seen a more shortsighted action list than what the present selection of democratically elected professionals in the local government house has compiled for 2022/23. 

Good luck to all! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I must have missed the part where all the real jewelry including the famous blue diamond was returned to its rightful owners, and the part where justice was served to the people (likely Thai Police) that were behind the whole operation, including the shooting to death of Saudi diplomats in Bangkok and the murder of a woman and child.

Yet again, it appears no responsibility is taken by Thailand, not even an apology.

Strange that the Saudis, especially the Royals would accept this and put it behind them... I can see some hard times ahead for Thai employees, especially maids and housekeepers.

Saudi Arabs will make life miserable for those foolish Thais brave enough to work in the desert kingdom. They may forgive,  but in their hearts and minds they won't forget. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Midnight  in Phnom  Penh

By Christopher G Moore

All about  the blue diamond  affair.

Moore is the best fiction writer about Thailand,  crime and expats

Not listed amoung his books

12 hours ago, Seik said:

"Saudi Arabia is seeking eight million skilled workers in the hotel, healthcare, and construction industries, and the Thai government suggested it has the human resources to contribute towards filling Saudi Arabia’s labour needs."

...and they cannot find those skilled workers in Pakistan or India ?