Anyone know a cheap / free app for making international calls to a landline?

Kenny202

I was using Viber for a few years which only cost pennies but they have become a lot more expensive. Just top up $10 here and there and can talk for an hour for a few dollars. And often if calling a bank, company etc back home can be on hold for some time. I sometimes need to call back home, mainly companies or banks that only have normal phone numbers or don't have LINE or Messenger etc. Is there something like that not too expensive?

• Like 2

Just now, Paulaew said:

I don't know if there are any free apps, because the local phone companies charge to connect those calls.

I use Skype, which is very cheap to the USA and some other countries. When I call my bank in the USA I can use a toll free (800) number and there is no charge from Skype. When I put $10.00 in my Skype account it seems to last forever.

Paul Laew

I think that's the problem with Viber now...... your credit did used to last forever. I think 2c per minute to Australia. Simply top up when you need to. But now its a monthly thing. Still not that expensive I guess but when you buy credit only good for a month. After the month lose all your credit and payment renews automatically

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, shdmn said:

Google Voice is free to make calls to US/Canada, but you need a US SIM card/number to sign up.

That is true.

After I had used Google Voice for several years, they started periodically asking me to re-verify my landline/cell.  Fortunately I could use an Ooma device to re-verify.  I haven't had to re-verify GV for over a year so maybe they've abandoned that policy.  Once you've verified a US based number hopefully they won't ask again.  Perhaps you can use the number for a US based relative/friend to get GV up and running.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Why not just use FaceBook Mesenger which cost nothing

My BIL won't use FaceBook because he believes they are commies. So I'm stuck trying to call him with a voice phone.

Edited by IAMHERE
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

9 minutes ago, VirgoSG said:

I have exclusively used Skype for many years for calling overseas landlines, and the quality is now excellent.  I cannot remember the last time I lost a connection.  You can set up an auto-debit to a credit card for when your balance drops below, say, $10.  It seems to last forever at (usually) 3.5cents a minute to landlines.  Or, if you exclusively call a certain country, Skype has monthly packages offering unlimited or many minutes to that country that may work out cheaper

Skype rates to landlines in the USA, Canada, UK and Australia are 2.3 cents per minute. As some posters have noted, Skype also has some bulk plans which are very cost effective for frequent callers. Note that toll free numbers are typically free (to the USA and Canada anyway).

The call quality tends to be very good, and I haven't had a problem with dropped connections. I usually use Skype from my mobile so I can use other apps if I'm on hold.

There are certainly other VoIP applications that you can use, but I'm not sure there is a high quality service that is cheaper. Of course you want to use Line or Whatsapp or similar if you're calling a mobile.

Paul Laew

• Thanks 1

I also recommend Skype. I use it to call my elderly mother's landline and as others have mentioned, US$10 goes far with it. Being able to call US or Canadian 1-800 toll free numbers at no cost is an added bonus. I've done that many times when calling an airline, hotel or other organization. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I think 2c per minute to Australia.

So, assuming home is Australia, and you're only interested in making calls to Australia....

VIBER Out: https://account.viber.com/en/call-australia

Skype PAYG: https://www.skype.com/en/international-calls/Australia

LINE Out: https://line.me/en/call/price-table/au

per minute pricing varies, you can do the math(s).

For calls to, or receiving from, the U.S. there are plenty of free apps. Google Voice is ideal but challenging to sign up for outside of the U.S. 

Ad-supported apps like Talkatone work well. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.talkatone.android&hl=en&gl=US

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=free calls&c=apps&hl=en&gl=US

• Like 2

The one I use is named FONGO. Free to the area codeS THAT ARE FREE WHEN MADE FROM THE AREA CODE chosen during the application set-up.

I have been using that application for many years.

It has a few issues, because of this VOIP to landlines. It may hang sometimes, or just close. Through experience, I found that if I have to make an important long call, I re-start my phone mobile before.

Been a long time, but if I recall correctly, when you set ti up, it will ask to choose a phone number. And calls are free from your FONGO application to all landlines normally accessible free at home.

I could send a picture of what it looks like on my phone..

Regards

Edited by Andre0720
Clarification (in caps)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1