Positive thinking

Sparktrader

2 hours ago, FolkGuitar said:

This won't work because you do NOT have a 'positive' mental attitude; you have a questioning mental attitude.

You need to say 'I'm going to win lotto tomorrow,' then go out and buy your significant other a present because you are so sure you will get your money back tomorrow!

Still won't work - you need realistic achievable goals - - not silliness... he can buy the tkt but he won't believe deep inside - - everyone likes a positive person, not too many like a wise ass... just sayin'

I remember once when a couple booked an appointment to see me regarding their pending mortgage default and bankruptcy.  The guy explained all the things that he had been trying and doing to meet the monthly repayments.  I asked his wife what she had been doing.  She explained how she had drafted positive thinking mantras and was reciting them every morning in front of the mirror.

Does positive thinking work...it depends on the context.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Positive thinking works. I had this demonstrated to me by a psychologist many years ago. It was a simple experiment, involving him pushing down on my extended arm while I thought in positive and negative patterns.

Successful sportspeople and athletes use it all the time, they exclude any negative thoughts about failure, and focus on the goal.

As for women, they are attracted to men who have a positive attitude.

It depends WHAT the men have a positive attitude about!

But you know you're not, so you're outa gas from the get-go.

If you really focused yourself towards improving your looks and financial situation, you probably would see some real traction in these areas. And as far as it goes, I hope you do.

Positive thinking absolutely works, provided that it isn't just self-delusion and that it is followed up with efforts and action.  If you look around you at the successful people, I think that largely you will find them to be positive thinkers.  And that they didn't become that way as a result of their success, but rather as a precursor to it.  

Conversely, negative thinking also works - - arguably even more effectively and more quickly!  You will see those sorts around you too, but (if you're smart), not too close or for very long.  

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

No, You have a chance of winning because you bought a ticket . ???? Lets keep it real.

I agree, but sadly there are many people believing in things such as prayer or "spiritual manifesting" which is only as effective as random chance...which is all prayer really is. People tend to remember the "hits" and not the misses. 

Many people give credit to magical thinking or beings instead of themselves (or doctors, nurses and first responders) They work and/or practice their butts off and then put (or give) credit elsewhere. Athletes do this all the time.

Positive thinking can motivate and help focus a person to improve or do better, but it's not a guarantee, and it's still the individual actually doing what is necessary to succeed. 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 2

I just think there is a line between being a cup half full rather than a cup half empty person, which might be good, as against trying to be positive each day which just sounds tiring. 

You may get a short term benefit, e.g. job interview or lifting a weight, but in the long term it is the effort and comprehension that is important. Then you turn up to an interview or lift a weight and are confident because you have reason to be .. not because you are pushing your mind in a positive direction for a moment or two. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy

For far too many "positive thinking" seems to get all wrapped up in prayers.  There is a difference between trying to look on the bright side of various events and begging invisible spirits to give u whatever it is you have deluded yourself into thinking prayer will give you.

• Like 1