Bum gun - one that does not leak??

Petey303

36 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

I was thinking the same. If fixed when u reach behind u and bring it forward and turn it to use under yer bum the hose inevitably twists and loosens the head fitting or tuther end. When fitting the head I try to adjust and tighten it facing the way so as to minimise the twist and kinking of the pipe. But missus  and kids probably twist and use it differently! My Global 99thb cheapie  leaks very little at the hose bottom connection but not at the head even though the old fitting is cracked. I use the hose so much to hose the toilet, floor, and also food from plates and pans before proper washing, that the floor  under it is almost permanently wet anyway so its not noticeable .

Pleased you understand my explanation of the problem . When i use the spray gun i am thoughtful of what can happen . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

555......I rent an 'apartment' with a 'utility' area which I use as a kitchen right next to the bathroom. There is no sink unit in this kitchen area, so I must use the washbasin, whose small outlet blocks easily, in the bathroom, and the adjacent toilet and bum gun is very convenient and perfect for rinsing dishes (and vegetables) before washing them properly in the washbasin. In fact a WC is the perfect kitchen 'waste disposal unit'.

????  Have you taken a look at that spray nozzle?  It's brown for a reason! 

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

They all leak after a time. The cheaper they are the shorter time they last. You can rehabilitate them by, for example, soaking the whole head in vinegar for two weeks while pressing the action a few time a day. 

They are cheap to buy so nothing to complain about really. We have 5 toilets and so keep a stock of three or four new ones I standby.

My VRH has not leaked in 14 years, it's all about design....???? 

6 hours ago, Petey303 said:

Would love to know if someone has a recommended bum gun or maybe a different approach. Thank you!

Neither of these have had a problem, they have been in use for years.

964D77DE-8117-4999-9F57-67469BA07077.thumb.jpeg.b076113857d7391d5dd6c9a2d37ff7ac.jpeg45675A41-5794-42F8-A53B-77B9DB4ECFC8.thumb.jpeg.34c8232194e903e430af2d16faf78af2.jpeg

the bottom one is Häfele 

both were either around 200 Baht or more

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

They all leak after a time. The cheaper they are the shorter time they last. You can rehabilitate them by, for example, soaking the whole head in vinegar for two weeks while pressing the action a few time a day. 

They are cheap to buy so nothing to complain about really. We have 5 toilets and so keep a stock of three or four new ones I standby.

This is caused by calcium buildup from hard water. Vinegar works but hydrochloric acid works better and more ch faster. Buy the Duck Pro Bathroom Cleaner in the purple bottle. It's diluted HCl with alcohol.

You know it's dissolving the calcium because it make a white foam.

I use it to clean faucet tips, end and valve of bum gun, dump some in the toilet tank once a week, and use it soak and dissolve calcium on the salt cell for my pool. The float valve in the toilet tank (not a ball cock) gets clogged with calcium and the float develops friction. Open the tank, pour some Duck on it and watch it fizz. Soon float works again.

'Bum Guns' , 6 hours old and 3 pages already. I'd wager most comments on here are from Brits, just love talking about taking dumps. Just love the guys reading this, then rushing out to the bog to take photos of their favourite/trusty old bum guns and sharing them with the rest of us. Sheer passion.......

Would be my number 1 on 'if you moved back home, what would you miss most about Thailand? ' thread. One of the finest inventions known to man.

Edited by sungod
  • Like 2

These are a pain in the ass for leaking. 

We found that it was a calcium build up causing the seals in the gun not to seat correctly. Solution is a water filter and softener. We have a large water media filter and i throw half a cup of dish washer softener in the tank in the garden every few weeks. Keeps taps from clogging up too. 

10 minutes ago, sungod said:

'Bum Guns' , 6 hours old and 3 pages already. I'd wager most comments on here are from Brits, just love talking about taking dumps. Just love the guys reading this, then rushing out to the bog to take photos of their favourite/trusty old bum guns and sharing them with the rest of us. Sheer passion.......

Would be my number 1 on 'if you moved back home, what would you miss most about Thailand? ' thread. One of the finest inventions known to man.

Why do you think that, is it because you think the Brits are more toilet hygienic than where you come from...?  ????

OP, if you are using Teflon tape on the tour making a mistake. Both ends on the flexible hose have standard 1/2" national pipe thread. Both sides of the seal have a flat surface and a rubber washer is used to make the face seal. Threads have nothing to do with the seal FOR SPRAY GUN END AND WALL CONNECTOR END. Note that I'm talking about the spray gun and hose, not all threaded pipe joints in general. Look at tye hose from the wall to the toilet tank. Again, no tape needed. Look carefully at the connectors and it will be obvious.

If your plastic handle cracks it's because you put so much tape on the threads (unnecessarily as I say) that when you tighten it it cracks the plastic.

I've seen countless places that people put Teflon tape when it isn't needed at all. Nearly all bathroom and kitchen plumbing fixtures use this simple 1/2" face seal and tape is not needed.

Look at the pictures and realize you never needed tape at all. The copper wire is just to show where the rubber washer fits in the assembly.

Also, hand tighten the hex fitting and then use pliers to tighten just another quarter turn. Cranking down on the fitting with a wrench simply deforms the rubber washer past its flexibility point until it tries to extrude away from the pressure over time and will counter-intuitively start leaking.

You are making the whole thing much too difficult.

20220212_165001.jpg

20220212_165012.jpg

20220212_165007.jpg

20220212_165051.jpg

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

This is caused by calcium buildup from hard water. Vinegar works but hydrochloric acid works better and more ch faster. Buy the Duck Pro Bathroom Cleaner in the purple bottle. It's diluted HCl with alcohol.

I use it to clean faucet tips, end and valve of bum gun, dump some in the toilet tank once a week, and use it soak and dissolve calcium on the salt cell for my pool. The float valve in the toilet tank (not a ball cock) gets clogged with calcium and the float develops friction. Open the tank, pour some Duck on it and watch it fizz. Soon float works again.

Only downside is it darkens /stains stainless steel surfaces. 

53 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Easier, cheaper and safer to use food standard citric acid. Good for kettles too.

Mr DIY sell a stainless bum gun, excellent quality, no complaints. It has been every bit as good as Hafele, Kohle, Modena etc. at many times the price. The problem is the water supply. The least bit of grit on a seal will make it leak, and the bits of grit get embedded in the rubber seal, making it difficult to diagnose and fix. Take the gun apart and check the O-rings, etc., replace as necessary.... if you can find the parts!

The real answer is a sediment filter in the supply line.

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I only buy Hafele these days 

All plumbing and kitchen items 

Never have leaking plumbing now 

https://www.hafelehome.co.th/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=Cj0KCQiA0p2QBhDvARIsAACSOOPPKgPuwnn2cszadzYaB3VbULSQBC7QBBK8y4wd8t8encF-6huCrKwaAkX_EALw_wcB

SAFETY FIRST - thank you for this. This site lists water pressure which I don't think I noticed on other ชุดสายฉีดชำระ 

The most expensive one is not the highest water pressure. It is 8 bar:

https://www.hafelehome.co.th/collections/สุขภัณฑ์และอุปกรณ์ห้องน้ำ/products/ชุดสายฉีดชำระ

And this one is 10 Bar:

https://www.hafelehome.co.th/collections/สุขภัณฑ์และอุปกรณ์ห้องน้ำ/products/ชุดสายฉีดชำระ-8

I am thinking about going for the 10 bar and see if that works for me. Cheaper than a bidet ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Grusa said:

Mr DIY sell a stainless bum gun, excellent quality, no complaints. It has been every bit as good as Hafele, Kohle, Modena etc. at many times the price. The problem is the water supply. The least bit of grit on a seal will make it leak, and the bits of grit get embedded in the rubber seal, making it difficult to diagnose and fix. Take the gun apart and check the O-rings, etc., replace as necessary.... if you can find the parts!

The real answer is a sediment filter in the supply line.

Agree, my home had Cotto bum guns from new, one by one the trigger snapped and I replaced them with ones from Mr DIY , all good.

I also throttle the pressure down with a small valve otherwise it’s :

B381C49E-1573-47D6-8D75-4B414F988982.thumb.jpeg.814ecf7643e53047cc151c00cb589999.jpeg

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Petey303 said:

And this one is 10 Bar:

https://www.hafelehome.co.th/collections/สุขภัณฑ์และอุปกรณ์ห้องน้ำ/products/ชุดสายฉีดชำระ-8

I am thinking about going for the 10 bar and see if that works for me. Cheaper than a bidet ????

That is the one in my picture above

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Petey303 said:

SAFETY FIRST - thank you for this. This site lists water pressure which I don't think I noticed on other ชุดสายฉีดชำระ 

The most expensive one is not the highest water pressure. It is 8 bar:

https://www.hafelehome.co.th/collections/สุขภัณฑ์และอุปกรณ์ห้องน้ำ/products/ชุดสายฉีดชำระ

And this one is 10 Bar:

As an indication for strength of unit perhaps but that pressure is not going to be found in Thailand (or most anywhere else for that matter).  A very strong pressure from the most expensive pumps is not going to be more than about 4 bar (almost 60 PSI) and you are going to want a lot less than that hitting you.

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe fit a valve to the outlet of the Bum gun if you have

high water pressure , that's what I have and no leaks plus

don't blast my @rse  with cold water,especially this time

of the year.

regards Worgeordie

So you go around with a smeared @rse all the time then. Since when is the water that cold over here anyway