Increase in funds for retirement extension.

I think an increase is likely, in fact overdue (considering how long the current amount has been unchanged despite a sharp increase of cost of living).

But I have a hard time believing that the amount will jump from 800,000 baht to 2.8 million baht. If I had to guess, 100,000 baht monthly income or 1.2 million baht in the bank will be it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, chang50 said:

One reason this is unlikely to happen is that about 90% of people doing legal visa extensions via the money in the bank method will be unable/unwilling to comply and thus either leave Thailand or go down the illegal agent route.Either way there will be many billions of baht withdrawn from thai banks at a time when the economy can ill afford it.

I agree, I think the increase to 1.2 Million is more realistic, but that said, wasn't the last increase 4 fold? From 200.000 to 800.000? So if they do that again, it would mean 3,2 Million ???? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

If it goes this high of an amount hopefully the funds will not have to be in Thailand setting in an account without any growth.

I have read reports that 1.2M is currently required to get an O-A in the Los Angeles USA consulate so 1.2M would not surprise me. I am currently on an O-A and with the coming increase in required insurance as well as a possible increase in funds for retirement other countries seem a lot more appealing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

I agree, I think the increase to 1.2 Million is more realistic, but that said, wasn't the last increase 4 fold? From 200.000 to 800.000? So if they do that again, it would mean 3,2 Million ???? 

Even that will be beyond many but you could well be right.

2 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I think you are confusing the sum for the special, Elite Visa or proposed Long Stay visa. Both of these are to entice well-heeled, long-stay intended people. 

My guess is your "informed" source isn't. 

I didn't say I formed source did I ? I said he was clued up, there is a difference.

• Confused 3