Workers’ skills being evaluated as Thailand seeks to export skilled workers to Saudi Arabia

webfact

16bcd524a338dec7e6353a633d2a250c_small.jpg

By Namo Vananupong

BANGKOK (NNT) - The skills of Thai workers who want to work abroad are now being rapidly assessed, especially for occupations that are in urgent demand by foreign employers. This effort comes in response to the government’s policy to send Thai workers to Saudi Arabia.

Department of Skill Development Director-General Prateep Songlumyong inspected the KTC Skills Testing Center in Lam Lukka district of Pathum Thani. The inspection was aimed at making sure Thai workers will be ready to be sent to Saudi Arabia. The Department of Skill Development has been assigning testing centers for occupations in need by employers. Examples of such occupations are engine mechanics, electricians, construction technicians, cooks, hotel personnel, logistics coordinators, and truck drivers.

Getting tested at a skills testing center improves work opportunities and career progression for each worker. Employers of tested workers can be confident the individuals are knowledgeable and their skills fit the job position.

KTC Skills Testing Center is used to evaluate the skills of job seekers who wanted to work abroad. The center is able to evaluate the skills of 24 occupations in the categories of welders, electricians, auto mechanics and construction technicians.

People who are interested in working in Saudi Arabia can register on the Department of Employment’s website. They may also call the Ministry of Labor’s hotline number 1506, and press 2.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-02-15

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Like 1

Now you may call me an old cynic, or possibly someone who "think too mutt" but the flush of enthusiasm and activity for "exporting workers" to Saudi Arabia raises, for me, a couple of points.

There is obviously a lot of money, or potential money involved, passing through the hands of both officials and private contractors. The profit potential, at all levels, suggests to me a reason for this enthusiasm. 

Secondly, the whole venture depends upon a steady flow of "volunteers". If that falters then the money flow falters. I can but wonder what commitment - perhaps not fully understood at the time - "registering an interest" may involve. Will there be any form of draft eventually, maybe by way of repayment for vocational training schools? Something along the lines of " two years in vocational school is followed by the choice of two years in the Army or two years if suitable in Saudi Arabia? Maybe farfetched, perhaps, but if there are quotas to be met...

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Now you may call me an old cynic, or possibly someone who "think too mutt" but the flush of enthusiasm and activity for "exporting workers" to Saudi Arabia raises, for me, a couple of points.

There is obviously a lot of money, or potential money involved, passing through the hands of both officials and private contractors. The profit potential, at all levels, suggests to me a reason for this enthusiasm. 

Secondly, the whole venture depends upon a steady flow of "volunteers". If that falters then the money flow falters. I can but wonder what commitment - perhaps not fully understood at the time - "registering an interest" may involve. Will there be any form of draft eventually, maybe by way of repayment for vocational training schools? Something along the lines of " two years in vocational school is followed by the choice of two years in the Army or two years if suitable in Saudi Arabia? Maybe farfetched, perhaps, but if there are quotas to be met...

Up till the Blue Diamond Affair Thai workers were very common in Saudi and remitted millions of much needed baht back to Thailand. People who think this is a new phenomenon are ignorant of the expat Labour Market which is massive in the middle east. The loss of this source of income has been very damaging for Thailand over the last 30 years. The recent changes are to be welcomed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Give me one company in Europe of States which would recruit someone, graduating from a Thai university.

The USA has a busy slave labour market fed by undocumented Mexicans. It doesn't need Thais.

The Saudis are experts in labour force management and recruitment.

The USA government is not capable of doing what the Saudis do. It relies on illegal, undocumented workers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Hammer2021 said:

The USA has a busy slave labour market fed by undocumented Mexicans. It doesn't need Thais.

The Saudis are experts in labour force management and recruitment.

The USA government is not capable of doing what the Saudis do. It relies on illegal, undocumented workers.

How many of the Thais are or were illegally in Europe, Dubai, States, South Korea etc.....

You know what I mean.

• Like 1

About 25 years ago my "mate"   in Dudley had a small caravan site with one van filled with 5 Thai ladies supposedly working at a nearby Thai restaurant

Surprisingly there wasn't one (i dont even think there is one today)

It remains a mystery to this day!!

Edited by poohy
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

16 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm thinking if I was a Thai guy working for low wages I'd think about this offer. They will probably make at least double maybe triple wages in Saudi. I'm just curious about the reason Saudi wants Thais when they have a steady supply of workers from India and probably Pakistan who I'd bet do and would work cheaper.

I believe they are short of immigrant workers. They have (or Did Have ) the KAFALA system, which meant that workers needed a sponsor in KSA. Good Luck to them that go! And don't start thieving if you want to keep both your hands!

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm thinking if I was a Thai guy working for low wages I'd think about this offer. They will probably make at least double maybe triple wages in Saudi. I'm just curious about the reason Saudi wants Thais when they have a steady supply of workers from India and probably Pakistan who I'd bet do and would work cheaper.

A few years ago I was working in the O&G industry in Iran( Asaluyeh). I was working at a huge 4 train gas treatment plant.One day I happened upon a team of Thai welders working on a project. . By saying "sawasdee krap" I got a big laugh out of them. They were on a 6 month contract with no break to go home.They all seemed quite happy..I sure hope the got paid well. BTW at that place in time it was real close to 50 c.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I'm just curious about the reason Saudi wants Thais when they have a steady supply of workers from India and probably Pakistan who I'd bet do and would work cheaper.

KTC verifies job skills. With that some person could 'potentially' get a job in Saudi, but nothing in the article says a job is guaranteed.  Hope it all works out. It remains to be seen what giving back the blue rock, and those green ones, got PM Prayut, besides normalization of relations.

3 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Up till the Blue Diamond Affair Thai workers were very common in Saudi and remitted millions of much needed baht back to Thailand. People who think this is a new phenomenon are ignorant of the expat Labour Market which is massive in the middle east. The loss of this source of income has been very damaging for Thailand over the last 30 years. The recent changes are to be welcomed.

Is this why the baht is getting slightly stronger lately.

3 hours ago, Al BB said:

I believe they are short of immigrant workers. They have (or Did Have ) the KAFALA system, which meant that workers needed a sponsor in KSA. Good Luck to them that go! And don't start thieving if you want to keep both your hands!

IMO, we are going to hear of many such things that will be inflicted upon the Youth of Thailand in Saudi.

They are not exactly known for being Law abiding and honest

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

and may fit muslim standards of behaviour.....

• Like 2