Drinking on a Buddhist Holiday

Edward Abbott

37 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Ok.  I appreciate your personal decision, even if I can not relate to your views. 

I was not saying you needed wine or brandy etc in order to enjoy meals or relaxation.  Rather, my meaning was that it added to enjoyment of these things.  

It might get help you relax and chill out a bit to have one glass of sherry or port perhaps....as, I am not sure if you meant to or not, your responses to my post come across like you are angry and annoyed and have some hang up about the subject of alcohol. 

I could understand that if you have had a bad experience with it or it affected your life from being an alcoholic or having parents / partner who was alcoholic.  I am sorry if that was the case for you.

I find it strange if i tell you to take marijuana (if it was legal) so you could chill out would that not be strange. Why is is not strange when you tell people they need a drink to relax. Many people just don't need it.

I absolutely hate the taste of alcohol, so I never enjoyed it i drank it out of social pressure. I stopped that but seems that a lot of people who drink can't understand that some just don't. They think those people are boring or something like that. 

I have no parents who are alcoholics or bad experiences with alcohol besides the normal stupid things one does when drunk. I just don't like the taste. Some people just dont enjoy it its that simple. 

Alcohol is not needed and the research that says its healthy in small amounts is questionable. (that is not the same as saying its bad in small amounts).

Anyway people should be able to drink as much as they want when they want IMHO as long as they don't bother other people. 

Health wise a lot of people should drink a lot less but that is just a personal choice that people should make themselves and should not be forced upon them.

I know you replied to bluespunk but there are enough people who just dont need or dont like alcohol. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

It might get help you relax and chill out a bit to have one glass of sherry or port perhaps.

I don’t need alcohol to chill out and relax. 

as, I am not sure if you meant to or not, your responses to my post come across like you are angry and annoyed and have some hang up about the subject of alcohol. 

No hang ups on the subject of alcohol, I have no problem with people around me drinking as I can respect their right to make choices. Though it’s true I find patronising individuals who think they are amateur psychologists who can discern the reasoning behind others choices. You know, the type who cannot conceive or respect any choices but their own. 

I could understand that if you have had a bad experience with it or it affected your life from being an alcoholic or having parents / partner who was alcoholic.  I am sorry if that was the case for you.

It seems you are unable to understand anything but extremes. I have been fortunate in my life to have never been an addict of any sort, nor is there any history of such in my family. We do suffer from an ability to think and make choices we are happy with, whilst not expecting others to do as we do…

2 hours ago, robblok said:

I find it strange if i tell you to take marijuana (if it was legal) so you could chill out would that not be strange. Why is is not strange when you tell people they need a drink to relax. Many people just don't need it.

I absolutely hate the taste of alcohol, so I never enjoyed it i drank it out of social pressure. I stopped that but seems that a lot of people who drink can't understand that some just don't. They think those people are boring or something like that. 

I have no parents who are alcoholics or bad experiences with alcohol besides the normal stupid things one does when drunk. I just don't like the taste. Some people just dont enjoy it its that simple. 

Alcohol is not needed and the research that says its healthy in small amounts is questionable. (that is not the same as saying its bad in small amounts).

Anyway people should be able to drink as much as they want when they want IMHO as long as they don't bother other people. 

Health wise a lot of people should drink a lot less but that is just a personal choice that people should make themselves and should not be forced upon them.

I know you replied to bluespunk but there are enough people who just dont need or dont like alcohol. 

You are right.  

But different alcoholic drinks have a huge difference in taste.   I really can not believe you would not like the taste is ANY of them in the entire world.  

Some alcohol drinks don't even taste like they have alcohol in them.  I hate the taste of beer and whiskeys myself, and port is disgusting 

But brandy, medium sweet sherry and eggnog are delicious to me.  It's the flavour rather than the alcohol that is the attraction to me.  So I also like the taste of sherry in a triffel or brandy in a Christmas cake.   

You don't like the taste of any alcohol....not even in home made steak and ale pie?  Mmmmm hungry now. 

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

You are right.  

But different alcoholic drinks have a huge difference in taste.   I really can not believe you would not like the taste is ANY of them in the entire world.  

Some alcohol drinks don't even taste like they have alcohol in them.  I hate the taste of beer and whiskeys myself, and port is disgusting 

But brandy, medium sweet sherry and eggnog are delicious to me.  It's the flavour rather than the alcohol that is the attraction to me.  So I also like the taste of sherry in a triffel or brandy in a Christmas cake.   

You don't like the taste of any alcohol....not even in home made steak and ale pie?  Mmmmm hungry now. 

I liked the buzz from alcohol. So i tried all kinds of beers / wines and even vodka with syrup and soda. I just had to try to hide the taste. Most of the times it just did not taste good. 

On rare occasions it would and then I would drink a few glasses of wine or whatever. But it was just not consistent so i gave up. Its just how my body responds to alcohol. There were some apple ciders that worked but they stopped selling those. But in the end it was just not worth the hassle. 

But you can't really argue about taste its subjective.

So now I just do without and don't miss it. Cannabis buzz is even better for me but the munchies are not. So also no longer an option. (Legalities aside).

Home made steak and ale pie.. can't believe they have stuff like that ????

No if i want pie i prefer sweet stuff. 

Anyway I don't really care if people drink or not. Though once people have had a few their IQ drops considerably. GF loves her expensive wiskey. But if she has had too much she starts to talk too much nonsense. ????

That is the only problem of not drinking when your with a group of people at a party. It becomes quite boring, and everyone is always saying they are not drunk. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

I don’t need alcohol to chill out and relax. 

No hang ups on the subject of alcohol, I have no problem with people around me drinking as I can respect their right to make choices. Though it’s true I find patronising individuals who think they are amateur psychologists who can discern the reasoning behind others choices. You know, the type who cannot conceive or respect any choices but their own. 

It seems you are unable to understand anything but extremes. I have been fortunate in my life to have never been an addict of any sort, nor is there any history of such in my family. We do suffer from an ability to think and make choices we are happy with, whilst not expecting others to do as we do…

Very good.  Whatever makes you happy. 

But you seem to me to only be able the think in back and white.  From your posts on this forum you always have your opinion that never wavers and you seem to think you are 100 percent right in every single topic.

I find it ironic that you like to present you are open minded and want to respect everyone's views, but you always get defensive, aggressive, patronising and rude to anyone with a different opinion to you. 

Certain posters on here come across as rather smug and self-righteous with the inability to use rational thinking.  I am not saying that is you, before you report my post and get me banned lol. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

I liked the buzz from alcohol. So i tried all kinds of beers / wines and even vodka with syrup and soda. I just had to try to hide the taste. Most of the times it just did not taste good. 

On rare occasions it would and then I would drink a few glasses of wine or whatever. But it was just not consistent so i gave up. Its just how my body responds to alcohol. There were some apple ciders that worked but they stopped selling those. But in the end it was just not worth the hassle. 

But you can't really argue about taste its subjective.

So now I just do without and don't miss it. Cannabis buzz is even better for me but the munchies are not. So also no longer an option. (Legalities aside).

Home made steak and ale pie.. can't believe they have stuff like that ????

No if i want pie i prefer sweet stuff. 

Anyway I don't really care if people drink or not. Though once people have had a few their IQ drops considerably. GF loves her expensive wiskey. But if she has had too much she starts to talk too much nonsense. ????

That is the only problem of not drinking when your with a group of people at a party. It becomes quite boring, and everyone is always saying they are not drunk. 

Agree with everything you said there.

19 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

But you seem to me to only be able the think in back and white.  From your posts on this forum you always have your opinion that never wavers and you seem to think you are 100 percent right in every single topic.

Nonsense, I am fully aware that there are grey areas in many issues. As to your second sentence above you are going off topic and trying to provoke a reaction, fail I’m afraid. 

22 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I find it ironic that you like to present you are open minded and want to respect everyone's views, but you always get defensive, aggressive, patronising and rude to anyone with a different opinion to you. 

See above. 

23 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Certain posters on here come across as rather smug and self-righteous with the inability to use rational thinking.

See above. 

24 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

I am not saying that is you,

Yeah, right, sure…

25 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

before you report my post and get me banned lol.

No need for me to report anything and get you banned. Your attempts to turn any discussion into personal attacks mean you fulfil  your own prophecy.

As ye sow, so shall ye reap. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2022 at 7:32 PM, problemfarang said:

Just to respect the culture and people and also to the religion, i wouldnt do that. not drinking beer for 1 day wouldnt kill you but even do some good for you ????

before i found it so stupid that i cannot buy a beer because im not a buddhist but now its not bothering me. I also find it very selfish when someone says 'there is no problem, of course you can drink it'. I believe we are living here and that means we chose to live here again that means you should accept things in here, like it or not. I dont understand why many farangs trying to change things around. This is not your kingdom.. 

So again a friendly advice, just dont drink 1 day. If you really dying for a drink why dont you drin at home front of TV?! 

Most Thais are miles away from practising Buddhists are mostly animist tbh don't follow the 7 fold path and only practise in so far as it may bring them luck or a lottery number so I don't think having a lazy beer on a so called buddha day is hardly going to make a massive impact on Thai culture. 

On 2/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, Bluespunk said:

Good for you. 

Me, I don’t require it. 

Require implies addiction. Not every person who uses drugs is an addict. Some people are prone to taking things to excess, such as runners who wear out their hips, knees, ankles and feet by running constantly; it's their nature.

Do what's best for you and your nature and leave others to their own personal life management. 

No government has ever successfully legislated morality for very long.

9 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Require implies addiction

Not as far as I’m concerned. 

9 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Not every person who uses drugs is an addict.

Never said they were. 

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Some people are prone to taking things to excess, such as runners who wear out their hips, knees, ankles and feet by running constantly; it's their nature.

Very likely but nothing to do with my post. 

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Do what's best for you and your nature and leave others to their own personal life management. 

I’ve already made clear to at least one poster on this thread that is exactly what I do. Nothing in my posts have said otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

No government has ever successfully legislated morality for very long.

Where did I call for legislation governing morality?