COVID infection risk raised back to ‘Level 4’ in Thailand

snoop1130

Just now, arithai12 said:

I don't care very much if there's a surge in headaches. I don't think it's reason to shut down a country.

Yes, some people are dying of covid, it cannot be denied and it's sad when it happens, death is death. But they never tell us the details of these deaths: vaccinated? If so, how and when? Age? Pre-conditions? When did they seek help?

And most importantly, how does this compare to the number of preventable deaths from road accidents, pollution, alcohol (not just the drink, but the intoxicated behaviour). No one is banning all vehicles because of average 70 dead/day including very healthy and young people.

I think the Thai gov't is caught between a stone and a hard place. They want to re-open, but they have to face half of the population (mainly those on fixed income) who want zero-covid and believe that it's an imported disease that will magically stop if you close borders.

Let's get our lives back - though less Chinese group tours would be nice.

I agree with everything you say, except that the vaccination and health status of those dying is reported. 

Try something like Pattaya News to get that info.....for example from yesterday re Chonburi figures:-

"The one new death was at the age of 74 with personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. The person was double-dose vaccinated".

21 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So what?

16,000 people getting Omicron a day? It made me sick for 2 days, and left a niggling sore throat.

There is no emergency here. If there was,we wouldnt need a chart to show it.

9 minutes ago, pedro01 said:

So what?

16,000 people getting Omicron a day? It made me sick for 2 days, and left a niggling sore throat.

There is no emergency here. If there was,we wouldnt need a chart to show it.

So apparently you're not one of the +- 1,000 people who have died of COVID in Thailand just since the start of the year:

Screenshot_6.jpg.3d74ba9715c01ddca984f99a3ac6df98.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/posts/508635287421467

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daithi85 said:

Soon going to be out done by its neighbours?which neighbours would that be? Thailand was the first of the south east Asian countries to allow tourists back In. 

Don't you read the Newspapers.  Vietnam is about to open 100%, as others are, but of course what Thailand is worried about is that the masses might hit the streets again!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Don't you read the Newspapers.  Vietnam is about to open 100%, as others are, but of course what Thailand is worried about is that the masses might hit the streets again!

Let's see what happens with Vietnam, the covid numbers are reaching news highs over there. Malaysia was also supposed to open up but have now pushed it back by another month or two. Remember these countries are all along way behind Thailand with the opening up of international travel.i know the entry requirements to get into Thailand aren't great but at least it's been possible to come here. 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

So apparently you're not one of the +- 1,000 people who have died of COVID in Thailand just since the start of the year:

No - I didn't die. I got Omicron - it didn't do much but make me sick for 2 days. I have no co-morbidites.

There is no crisis - it's a fast burn version of COVID that's going around.

If Thailand was in crisis - we'd all know people that are suffering. I know about 30 people that got Omicron with me. They all got it, all got better and now I don't know a single person in Thailand that has it.

Edited by onthedarkside
graphic without weblink to source removed

11 hours ago, ukrules said:

Are they having a laugh? There's less than 20k cases per day if you believe the numbers

Personally, I don't believe the numbers. But Covid being Covid?
Omicron will rage for a few weeks and drop off just as fast.
Official hubris believes it can 'do something' to mitigate infections.  Two year into proves it can not. 

Best to learn to live with it, but officialdom seems to want emergency restrictions forever. 

Thailand growth in 2021 was < 1.9%.  Keep the restrictions and they'll keep constricting the economy.

Edited by connda

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

I agree with everything you say, except that the vaccination and health status of those dying is reported. 

Try something like Pattaya News to get that info.....for example from yesterday re Chonburi figures:-

"The one new death was at the age of 74 with personal health problems and pre-existing conditions. The person was double-dose vaccinated".

So that's one data point. Anymore?

It does go to show just how important the booster is for protection against Omicron, its been drummed home in just about every country in the world that has gone through the Omicron wave, Thailand still only has around 27% of its population boosted and then we have no idea of what age group that is but obviously not that particular 74 year old.

Edited by Bkk Brian

NO!  I thought the future PM said "  Covid is no match for Thailand medical system "  I was starting to believe the fool, what a let down!????

But I guess when they started up " Thailand Pass " they meant it meaning PASS on coming since we are heading into Level 4, which translate we are going to shut down the place again go back to square one since they don't have a clue what to do?

Edited by thailand49

6 hours ago, Dukeleto said:

What travel bubble with China? China currently has a zero covid policy…nobody there is going anywhere. Pity they did not have that policy in place at the very start but we all know why that was. Cheers China!

There day is coming, just look no further than HK.

23 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thailand still only has around 27% of its population boosted and then we have no idea of what age group that is.

Not a lot of detail on that. But the last chart I saw with some of that was dated Feb 10, where the government said only 20% of seniors age 60 and above (the most vulnerable age group) had received 3 vaccine doses thus far. (And no 3rd dose boosters for youngsters, since their vaccinations have only begun recently.) For seniors, that's not gonna cut it with Omicron.

Since the Feb. 10 report below, the overall population share for 3rd shot boosters has climbed from the 25% on the chart below to about 27% lately, as you noted above.

Screenshot_10.jpg.5548df6ea906721623caf32e25cc2402.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/501760971442232/?type=3

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BayArea said:

we all know this inept and corrupted government will continued to keep the boogey man fear factor as long as they can. it's their only way of controlling the mass, fear is much more effective than threats and guns. 

+1, totally agree, just scare tactics to keep their article 44 in place.

• Like 1

Level 4? So are we going to have more requirements for the Thailand Pass again, maybe 7 days quarantine for fully vaccinated?

Thailand should learn from other countries like Australia where we have to live with the virus.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

An older relative was found dead while alone at home, the diagnosis was heart attack. After the fact he was tested and found positive. He is written down as covid-related.

10 hours ago, BayArea said:

we all know this inept and corrupted government will continued to keep the boogey man fear factor as long as they can. it's their only way of controlling the mass, fear is much more effective than threats and guns. 

yep a cheap way of controlling the peasants

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ukrules said:

If they introduce any lockdown measures again then the truth is out - it will mean it's out of control and they can't handle it. Just watch and see.

They don't have to say anything, it's what they do that matters.

Why is everybody talking about they, meaning THE AUTHORITIES. 

It is up to us, each individual, to take personal responsibility as to prevent and or slow down the spreading of this virus. 

Without each individual cooperating, "they" meaning the Authorities cannot stop the spreading. 

How much longer before people wake up to this? 

• Sad 1

Covid-19 statistics in Thailand are pretty meaningless due to the lack of testing. Actual deaths going by excess deaths is actually about 2.5 times greater. 

As for 'nothing more than a cold' yes, true for most people. But death rates are still at 0.2-1% ( going by reported cases) around the world. Still makes it a lot more dangerous than say, Dengue, which has a death rate of about 0.1%,

Global deaths still ticking away at 5-10,000 a day, no great change.

Live with it? Yes, we will have to. But it is a long way from being 'over'.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Virt said:

Thailand will eventually find their way through the maze and drop all their restrictions like many of the European countries.

Hopefully before July, so i can return to Samui ???? 

I just can't see them doing it for the next month or two, if they are starting to see their numbers increase.

They are not going to act like some EU countries did and lift all restrictions while the daily numbers are increasing.

You mean while the brown envelopes keep coming.

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

An older relative was found dead while alone at home, the diagnosis was heart attack. After the fact he was tested and found positive. He is written down as covid-related.

There were 1692 excess deaths in January, compared to 2021. What else than Covid-19 can explain these excess deaths? An epidemy of of heart attacks?

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Screenshot_20220209-134541.png

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Can you actually prove that those 1,000 people died OF covid? If not, please don't spread the hysteria.

It may shock you, but the people who manage death reporting systems are aware that death is not necessarily a simple event. Detailed death certificates, which capture both the eventual and underlying causes of death as well as comorbidities and significant underlying conditions that may have contributed to a death.

A heart attack brought on by covid is certainly possible.

COVID-19 diagnosis raises risk of heart attack, stroke

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/covid-19-diagnosis-raises-risk-of-heart-attack-stroke

14 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It may shock you, but the people who manage death reporting systems are aware that death is not necessarily a simple event. Detailed death certificates, which capture both the eventual and underlying causes of death as well as comorbidities and significant underlying conditions that may have contributed to a death.

A heart attack brought on by covid is certainly possible.

COVID-19 diagnosis raises risk of heart attack, stroke

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/covid-19-diagnosis-raises-risk-of-heart-attack-stroke

Sorry, possible does not equate certainty. A lot of things are "possible". I could give many more details about the specific example I made that would make it "possible" that the heart attack was not related to covid, but that starts to be beyond the point.

Detailed death certificates which capture... please. Certainly not in the case I quoted.

7 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Sorry, possible does not equate certainty. A lot of things are "possible". I could give many more details about the specific example I made that would make it "possible" that the heart attack was not related to covid, but that starts to be beyond the point.

Detailed death certificates which capture... please. Certainly not in the case I quoted.

Well if you are more sure than a qualified doctor and think they are intent on upping covid numbers then I'll not debate the matter further....

Having a proir heart disease if that was the case and then catching covid and dying as a result is more common than you think.

Coronavirus: what it means for you if you have heart or circulatory disease

Our medical experts answer questions about how the Covid-19 coronavirus can affect people with heart disease

https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health#:~:text=Anyone with a heart condition,re at particularly high risk.

Edited by Bkk Brian

On 2/22/2022 at 1:16 AM, candide said:

There were 1692 excess deaths in January, compared to 2021. What else than Covid-19 can explain these excess deaths? An epidemy of of heart attacks?

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Your reasoning is flawed. You are effectively comparing (january to january) the total number of 2021 against total 2020. We know there was a wave of Delta in 2021 and that was deadly indeed - also because of poor vaccination - in Thailand. I am not denying that.

But the discussion here is about the current situation, with Omicron. You will need to show the final number in 2022 (available January 2023) to prove your point.