Opinion: Constitutional Court’s latest controversy shows moral gaps that can happen ONLY in Thailand

webfact

cc.jpg

By Arun Saronchai

The Constitutional Court justices are embroiled in a new dilemma that shows big moral gaps within the court that should worry any legal scholars in Thailand and the greater public about the court’s judgement.

The problem stems from the age of the current President of the Constitutional Court, Worawit Kangsasitiam.

Worawit is about to turn 70 years old this March. According to the 2007, Constitutional Court justices cannot be over 70 years and cannot serve for nine years.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/37856/opinion-constitutional-courts-latest-controversy-shows-moral-gaps-that-can-happen-only-in-thailand/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 1

'moral gaps that can happen ONLY in Thailand' - 

1 Police decide IF a crime is committed & depending on the law breaker whether to prosecute.

2 After a General Election the Government can be brought down by tanks.

On reflection perhaps not only in Thailand.

• Like 2

70 yrs old age limit for government sounds about right. At a minimum the oldsters should take an annual cognitive test to show they're mentally fit. When I renew my US driver's license at age 72 I'll be required to show I'm fit. 

• Like 1

Utterly ridiculous cherry picking a clause from a now defunct constitution.

There should only be 1 country constitution!

This just makes a mockery of this Constitutional Court ... seems fully inline with the current gov though.

• Like 1

There are always two constitutions in operation in Thailand.

One is publicly presented to the people of Thailand and the world.

The other one is little publicised, discussion of it discouraged.....but it prevails.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

70 yrs old age limit for government sounds about right. At a minimum the oldsters should take an annual cognitive test to show they're mentally fit. When I renew my US driver's license at age 72 I'll be required to show I'm fit. 

Should also be a requirement of thaivisa , oops sorry would loose too many customers 

5 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

People have to make place for younger ones.. That is normal in life.. It is not good to stay in a job when you are older than 70, because that is already too much, but alas..It has to stop somewhere. As a PM should not serve more than 6 years either..and a MP not more than 10 years...

I'm sure Xi and Vladimir Putin will take notice and resign immediately.

12 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

When I renewed my UK driver's license by post at age 7X I had to write that I was fit.