Assault on Kiev: Russian helicopters swoop above Ukraine's capital

Chris.B

17 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Russia (and China) are too big, independent, and powerful for America to ever want to be friends with them.

Isn't it fair that the many resources of Russia belonging only to one country? (That was not me who said it). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Too bad the US can't send a few cruise missiles at that convoy.  It would be wiped out in a matter of seconds. 

And who else would be wiped out? Don't you think that the Russian do not have such "wipers"?

Are you advising to wipe it so as it was wiped out in Iraq (when liberating the population from dictator), beside the other wiping?

Such clever advice was given at WW2 to one man caller Bomber Harris. And not only to him...    

• Confused 3

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Russia have amassed a large part of their mechanized troops around Ukraine, so why don't they attack?

It has not been discussed yet, but Russia have a major problem.

Everything they send across the border to Ukraine will most likely never return again and Russia don't have a military industrial complex that can pump out new equipment at will. 

The Russia army is fast being depleted opening up their flanks. Russia have more than 20,000 km of border to control. Nobody are about to invade Russia, but criminal activity and smuggling will thrive in border areas. 

This might be your answer:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-60542877

• Confused 1

Elon Musk’s provision of satellite internet services is a master stroke.

Putting aside the publicity value of demonstrating the technology by assisting an invaded democracy, he’s providing the Ukrainians with the internet communications they need while at the same time providing Russian troops with the opportunity to access non Russian news and send messages back to their friends and families. 

Of course Russia’s supporters here might believe Russian soldiers are only sending home and receiving good news.

Raw unfiltered news from the front.

Well done Elon.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 2

Sadly not looking good for the Ukraine. But no doubt many more deaths to come on each side.

Putin has a lot to answer for and hopefully he will eventually get his just desserts.

There must be a lot of unhappy Russians who can do something about him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

47 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Sadly not looking good for the Ukraine. But no doubt many more deaths to come on each side.

I think it is looking very good for Ukraine! Last week people thought they would crumble in a few hours of a Russian invasion. Now they have Russia trembling with what to do next.

A 40 km long Russian convey winding its way along the road to Kyiv.... what could go wrong?

Edited by Chris.B
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I think it is looking very good for Ukraine! Last week people thought they would crumble in a few hours of a Russian invasion. Now they have Russia trembling with what to do next.

A 40 km long Russian convey winding its way along the road to Kyiv.... what could go wrong?

Run out of fuel and food hopefully.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

I've just watched the latest update on BBC news, that convoy is 40 miles long not 40 km and it is now just 30 km from Kyiv. Its early morning there currently. Lets hope something can be done before it reaches there! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, tgw said:

a video of the aftermath of Russian Orcs' attack on the Okhtyrka base where 70+ Ukrainian troops died:

https://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1498525171224924162?s=20&t=G69mf3oJL32__PeP7PY76whttps://twitter.com/MrKovalenko/status/1498525171224924162?s=20&t=G69mf3oJL32__PeP7PY76w

check the size of the crater.

thermobaric missiles from the TOS-1A ?

As I have said on another thread and there should only be one thread on this catastrophic episode in history there are more horrific weapons Russia can use and the west is cornering the rat maybe and I certainly hope so, so it cannot bite back or maybe decide not to. 

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I've just watched the latest update on BBC news, that convoy is 40 miles long not 40 km and it is now just 30 km from Kyiv. Its early morning there currently. Lets hope something can be done before it reaches there! 

40 km or 40 miles what does it matter, it's f...king big no matter what it is!

Anway, no doubt they are falling into Zelensky's trap and their size will rapidly diminish soon!

Edited by Chris.B
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

40 km or 40 miles what does it matter, it's f...king big no matter what it is!

Anway, no doubt they are falling into Zelensky's trap and their size will rapidly diminish soon!

let's hope it really is a big bear trap.

the potential is certainly there, but it would require Ukraine to still have good operational capabilites and large forces around Zhytomyr and Korosten

• Like 1

I still wonder why the Ukrainians didn't blow up more bridges ?

The Kherson bridge seems obvious, but there are a handful of other bridges that would have been prime candidates in any defensive scenario.

So ... why?

Edited by tgw

24 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As I have said on another thread and there should only be one thread on this catastrophic episode in history there are more horrific weapons Russia can use and the west is cornering the rat maybe and I certainly hope so, so it cannot bite back or maybe decide not to. 

The West hasn’t cornered anything.

Putin has made a military invasion of a sovereign nation, it clearly isn’t going as well as he planned.

He’s staked his future in this move, as have a number of Western politicians who are eagerly praising him.

There is a great deal more at stake than the Ukraine.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tgw said:

I still wonder why the Ukrainians didn't blow up more bridges ?

The Kherson bridge seems obvious, but there are a handful of other bridges that would have been prime candidates in any defensive scenario.

So ... why?

Quite sure the bridges is already armed and ready. Some of our training in North Norway was to arm the bridges and wait with our 84mm Carl Gustav loaded with anti panzer, and also anti personel granades. 

Edited by Hummin

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Quite surecits already armed and ready. Some of our training in North Norway was to arm the bridges and wait with our 84mm Carl Gustav loaded with anti panze, and also anti personel granedes. 

Kherson bridge is in Russian hands and Kherson has been encircled by Russians already. Blowing up the three bridges on the Dnipr in the area would have slowed them down significantly.

It's a huge bridge, it's not possible that it could have been overlooked.

Edited by tgw
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Belarus leader says Minsk won't join Russian operation in Ukraine, Belta reports

Reuters

Belarusian troops have entered Ukraine 

According to the Ukrainian parliament’s official channel, Belarusian troops have entered Ukraine’s Chernihiv Oblast to assist Russia in its war against Ukraine.

https://kyivindependent.com/

7 minutes ago, tgw said:

Kherson bridge is in Russian hands and Kherson has been encircled by Russians already. Blowing up the three bridges on the Dnipr in the area would have slowed them down significantly.

It's a huge bridge, it's not possible that it could have been overlooked.

I am sure it's in the script somewhere !

14 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The West hasn’t cornered anything.

Putin has made a military invasion of a sovereign nation, it clearly isn’t going as well as he planned.

He’s staked his future in this move, as have a number of Western politicians who are eagerly praising him.

There is a great deal more at stake than the Ukraine.

The west has cornered funds. 

Agree he has invaded but Putin doesn't see the same way as you do. 

I am not aware of western politicians praises only India, China and an Arab country.

I don't see anything at stake other than stopping the the attacks on Ukraine.

Personally I don't like the way things are developing frankly. 

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Russia might not have such a large convoy without massive support from helicopters and fighter jets, so maybe it's not an easy task to attack it.

I just hope things are solved before the convoy reach their goal or else both sides have to order a lot of body bags.

• Like 2